Alternative LTC Qualifying Courses

There's a number of other courses listed as meeting the BFS requirements.

Anyone have information on getting authorized to teach courses besides the NRA ones?

Sig Sauer Academy offers "Handgun 101" in their facility in Epping, NH. It assumes you know nothing, and includes a firearm, ammo, and all equipment to use for the course. Qualifies for the Mass LTC. The cost is $225 - it takes one day, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. Sig has lots of other great stuff, too.

https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/

Sig Sauer Academy offers "Handgun 101" in their facility in Epping, NH. It assumes you know nothing, and includes a firearm, ammo, and all equipment to use for the course. Qualifies for the Mass LTC. The cost is $225 - it takes one day, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. Sig has lots of other great stuff, too.

https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/

Think noxin wants to take a course to be certified instructor, not take one for LTC.

There's a number of other courses listed as meeting the BFS requirements.

Anyone have information on getting authorized to teach courses besides the NRA ones?

If you develop your own curriculum, and submit it to the state, you can get issued your own course number, and I assume would be automatically qualified.

Think noxin wants to take a course to be certified instructor, not take one for LTC.

I'm currently an NRA Certified HFS and BP instructor, but with all the games NRA is playing with the curriculum (blended learning, exorbitant online course fees, threatening instructors for teaching "the old course") , I was looking for another option.

Sounds like it's going to be difficult, timely, and costly to get access to something.

Thanks for the responses and I'll keep an eye out for any other opportunities.

If you develop your own curriculum, and submit it to the state, you can get issued your own course number, and I assume would be automatically qualified.

Not worth doing that at this point. A flood of people have submitted courses for approval, and the MSP hasn't lifted a finger at looking at them.

Posts #269 and #271 on this page discuss creating an "open source" LTC qualification course for Massachusetts. This is something that we really need. It sounds as though there are some barriers right now, but people are thinking about it. I wish there was a thread just on this topic. Introductory courses are important for everyone who cares about the future of shooting sports. These courses should not be proprietary or controlled by organizations with other agendas.

I wonder if graduating Sig's instructor development course gives one a license to teach their proprietary courses?
I would venture a guess that the answer is no, unless it's a sig scheduled class and they handle all the monies

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For what it's worth:

Back near the beginning of the year, a "new" MA state Sargent took over the BFS licensing and review of proposed courses. I believe his name is Sargent Zanie (I may have the spelling wrong). After several discussions with him, it sounds like one of the overall goals is that all classes will eventually require a live-fire portion. He also told me he has a STACK of proposed syllabuses to review and approve/reject. He does have a goal to get through them all. He did let me know that I can certainly submit my own syllabus, but it will be a while before he will get to it.

We are currently using the NRAs Home Firearm Safety course as our base, but have added a lot of our own, and MA-required information, to it.

For what it's worth:

Back near the beginning of the year, a "new" MA state Sargent took over the BFS licensing and review of proposed courses. I believe his name is Sargent Zanie (I may have the spelling wrong). After several discussions with him, it sounds like one of the overall goals is that all classes will eventually require a live-fire portion. He also told me he has a STACK of proposed syllabuses to review and approve/reject. He does have a goal to get through them all. He did let me know that I can certainly submit my own syllabus, but it will be a while before he will get to it.

We are currently using the NRAs Home Firearm Safety course as our base, but have added a lot of our own, and MA-required information, to it.

It is now October. Has he "gone through" any of them? It sounds as though he has not.

For what it's worth:

Are you mixing the Non-NRA material in with the Official/Approved Course Material?

The individual teaching the course would still need to be certified as a BFS instructor to issue the MSP certificate. Obtaining course approval is separate from certification as a BFS instructor- though, IIRC, certification to teach an approved course is an avenue toward BFS certification.

The individual teaching the course would still need to be certified as a BFS instructor to issue the MSP certificate. Obtaining course approval is separate from certification as a BFS instructor- though, IIRC, certification to teach an approved course is an avenue toward BFS certification.
As i understand it, currently once you're approved to teach a qualifying course, you can teach any of the courses.

Eg : If I got permission from the curriculum owner for ltc001, I could teach that or the nra hfs as I saw fit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm surprised nobody here has written their own course, got it approved, and just made it public domain.

I think the fact that MSP hasn't bothered to review any (of a reportedly large pile) of hopeful courses, has doused cold water on tilting at windmills for the current time.

The question that I have is why. Why aren't they reviewing the courses?

Two possible reasons I can think of:

1. Too much like work.

2. There seems to be a movement to re-write the CMR to mandate live fire only which would throw our some courses, require a state run certification class to certify instructor, etc. So reviewing new courses and certifying them mighg be a waste of time.

I think it is a combination of 1 & 2.

The question that I have is why. Why aren't they reviewing the courses?

I think that they are reviewing them. The problem is that they are also taking a fresh look at the regs and what approved courses should contain. Add to that, the current political environment and nothing is going to happen very quickly.

I'm currently an NRA Certified HFS and BP instructor, but with all the games NRA is playing with the curriculum (blended learning, exorbitant online course fees, threatening instructors for teaching "the old course") , I was looking for another option.

Sounds like it's going to be difficult, timely, and costly to get access to something.

Thanks for the responses and I'll keep an eye out for any other opportunities.

I hear that. Between the NRA changing Basic Pistol to grab more money and more and more gun shops and others trainers cutting prices now as low as $49.00 for a LTC class. Add the cost of insurance and it's not worth doing it anymore.

Two possible reasons I can think of:

1. Too much like work.

2. There seems to be a movement to re-write the CMR to mandate live fire only which would throw our some courses, require a state run certification class to certify instructor, etc. So reviewing new courses and certifying them mighg be a waste of time.

I think it is a combination of 1 & 2.

The CMR and MGL already require live fire. See bold below in the MGL

(c) Any firearms safety instructor certified under the provisions of this section may, in his discretion, issue a basic firearms safety certificate to any person who successfully completes the requirements of a basic firearms safety course approved by the colonel. No firearms safety instructor shall issue or cause to be issued any basic firearms safety certificate to any person who fails to meet minimum requirements of the prescribed course of study including, but not limited to, demonstrated competency in the use of firearms. Instructors certified under the provisions of this section shall forward to the department of state police the names of those persons...

How can "...demonstrated competency in the use of firearms" mean anything other than live fire ?

Back
Top Bottom