Alternate powder for 9mm, 38spl, and 45ACP

Another thread got me thinking.

Since I'm almost out of my favorite pistol powder AA#5, like every one else, the search is on for whatever I can find. I'm looking for a relatively clean burning powder similar to AA#5.

I only load 9mm, 38 SPL and 45ACP.

Any other suggestions?

On my list: HS-6, WIN AutoComp, WSF, POWER PISTOL, Universal, HP38 /WIN 231.

i load 38spl and 45 acp with shotgun powders, red dot and green dot, and have had good luck with them.

I use WSF for 45 ACP. I've used 231 for 9mm and 45 ACP. I've used Bullseye for 9mm, 45 ACP, and 38 Spcl.

Of course, these days I haven't seen WSF, 231, or Bullseye anywhere.

I use WSF for 45 ACP. I've used 231 for 9mm and 45 ACP. I've used Bullseye for 9mm, 45 ACP, and 38 Spcl.

Of course, these days I haven't seen WSF, 231, or Bullseye anywhere.

Saw a case of Bullseye at Shooter's Outpost the other weekend...

I have used Autocomp for 9mm, for 4.5" glock 17, 115 FMJ (Hdy and montana gold bulllets). Worked well, although there was some unburnt powder flakes. I have also used WSF for 115 gr, but the results were not as satisfactory, had slow velocity. I am trying to figure out if I want to use WSF for 147gr.

I've got some discontinued powders that also have ample data for these calibers:
W452AA, W473AA, W540, AL-5.
The W452AA seems to work great in reduced cast bullet rifle loads, too. Hard to beat over a thousand rounds per pound in my m96!

No shortage of titegroup around. Good luck finding 231/hp38. That stuff is like finding a fart in a wind storm.

WW231 is an excellent choice for all of your low pressure (non magnum) pistol loads. It was recommended to me when I first started to reload 30 years ago and it is still my favorite.

PS I have had good luck with Titegroup in 40, but not 9mm. A couple of 9mms (SIGs) had extraction/ejection problems with Titegroup. I tried changing the recoil spring, powder charge, and bullet weight with no success. A change to WW 231 cured the problem.

Last edited:
I like trail boss in my 38spl loads with my cast bullets. Does just fine. A bit smokey but I shoot light reloads and they all seem to "smoke"
Down side to trailboss that 1lb bottle is not 1lb yet trail boss is as expensive if not more than almost any other power that actually has 1lb of powder in the bottle.

I would use Titegroup for 9mm and .38 SPL and Unique for .45 ACP. You could use Unique for all of them but I think titegroup burns cleaner in the other two. Titegroup is too snappy and doesn't scale in .45 ACP. (you can't really get the 230s moving without exceeding max).

PowerPistol is also crazy good for 9mm, and it is useful in 5"+ .45 ACP guns. A guy who got banned here (SA_John) told me he also used it with great success in his SW625 against bowling pins... but IMHO in .45 you will end up with a lot of unburned powder if you have less than a 5" tube to run it through.

Win WST is absolutely superb (EXTREMELY clean, soft recoiling) for .45 ACP fluff loads but it doesn't scale much beyond that application. The only cleaner powder I've found in .45 was Vhit N340 (which might as well be manufactured from unicorn horns and unobtanium at this point).

-Mike

Last edited:
I have been using Longshot for 9mm and 45 - I don't reload 38 so I couldn't tell you about that.

It seems to work well enough and is usually available (availability was the biggest reason I worked up my loads with it). Biggest downside is that it really wants to be pushed, so if you have a pistol that you don't want to consistently run max loads through, it might not be the best choice.

I've tried the new Hodgdon CFE Pistol for all three because there was nothing else. I've had no issues and it meters really well.
IMR 700X works well all around but doesn't meter well. You pretty much have stuff them by hand.

To the OP. AA5 is one of my favorite powders for 9mm also.

I've had good luck with Promo / Red Dot for reduced power loads. This powder is faster than AA5 and can't be loaded as hot.
On the flip side, if you download with AA5, you end up with a smokey, filthy mess. This stuff is much cleaner at reduced power loads.

Don

Back
Top Bottom