Al's Gun and Reel in Derry NH?

Al's is basically at the end of my street. So first, cant beat the convenience. It's true that the mood can be different in there at times. The woman isnt the friendliest, but helpful and honest. When it's busy it can take time for them to get to you, but that's because they want to give each customer and sale the attention they deserve. That's called old school salesmanship. People are too used to department stores. I bought my first gun there and it's obvious he wants your business and for you to leave happy. If you want an unerpayed salesperson to kiss your but, and want to pay full retail go to MFL. If you want service and flexibility with prices and have alittle time, I dont think you can do much better than Al's. I love the place

Stopped by Al's a few weeks back, a good experience. I was looking for a specific type of rifle and both the Mrs. and the younger guy who was working behind the counter were very helpful.

As usual there was no parking, I ended up going around the block and parking in front of artvandelay's driveway ')

I keep trying to like this store. I keep going back in and every time its the same. They are asses to their customers and each other in front of customers. His ammo prices are insane. His gun prices are insane. I feel like a sardine in a can there. I just went in a few weeks ago looking for things and everyone in the store was rude. I did see them nice to one customer who happened to be spending a lot. I left and spend a few grand at shooters outpost. I am done with this place!

It was when I stopped giving a shit that I started getting better treatment there. Kinda like a dog smelling fear. I do however LOL at the used stuff listed for more than new...

Stopped in over the weekend and picked up a nice rifle for myself. Nobody there was rude to me, in fact quite the opposite from the moment I walked thru the door, before I even looked at anything. More than one of the people working there welcomed me and asked if they could help find something.

Ammo prices were pretty typical, and they had a good selection. On new ammo, they only sell brass cased. No steel unless its surplus ammo. LOTS of powders in stock as well, both 1# and 8# sizes including 231. Many other pistol and rifle powders as well. About they only thing they didn't have was Varget or 4895. IIRC the 231 was $25 for a pound. They had primers and bullets as well. Small shop but a ton of stuff packed inside. I'll definitely go back.

I was just in there yesterday and this guy's a wacko! Don't take up too much of Al's time deciding on what you want to buy or else he goes nuts. He pressured me into a Spriingfield XDm .40 for $699. I didn't want to spend that much so I told him I would sleep on it and get back to him. He didn't take too well to that answer and went on a rant!.... I ended up going to Manchester Firing Line and found the same piece (with 3 mag's) for $599. Still more than I wanted to spend but boy, she's worth it. nice pistol.

This was pretty much my experience with Al's. He was yelling at another customer: "Don't be looking for any deals here! Can't stay in business making deals!". Prices were full f'n retard, and this was before the panic.

I'll not be visiting Al again.

i've stopped by Al's a few times. i was never treated rudely, however Al is pushy and he does rant. i've heard him rant about how great his store is and how great he does business, and how everybody else around is a joke compared to him.

his ammo prices were high before and are outrageously high now. he may have lost touch with reality. on a positive note, he does stock quite a bit (probably because very few people are willing to pay those prices).

i've witnessed Al selling a firearm to a first time buyer. he reminded me of a used car salesman: shotgun? bam! your search has ended my friend. this is what you need rite here. give me your money and you're done. damn, i'm the friggin best! who's next?

i also confirm the "sardine in a can" comment.

Wow. My grandfather bought guns from Allen, my dad and uncles all bought from him and when I was looking for my rifle and revolver, dad said go see al! My husband and I took a ride over around 3pm and my husband ended up leaving with his yellow boy and I got my hunting rifle a nice nra conservation white tail edition 243 browning bolt. My husband wanted a target 22 and the second time we went to Al's like two weeks later he had the ruger Ben had wanted. That visit I told al who my dad was and I don't think we left there for three hours. We were talking about the old days and he was telling his stories about my dad and family. We had a good time. He put the scope on my browning and had it ready in a day. The following week we went in to find my s&w 460 and a 45 1911 for my husband. He showed Ben the 1911s and Chuck his son showed me the revolver. We are picking up the kimber Thursday and my dad actually wants the 460 now so for Father's day I'm getting that for him. So another two weeks go by and I finally get my dad on his day off to go with me (it was about 20 years since dad's been over thanks to family life and other circumstances) and it was awesome seeing them catch up. To us al is like family. Yeah some prices might be higher but he's also a mom and pop store veteran run as well. He doesn't have all the typical same guns all the chain stores carry. He's been in business for 40+ years he also knows his stock and will fit the proper firearms to you. We tell him what we want and he asks what we're doing with it then fits us with the right firearms. If he doesn't think it's a good fit he'll tell us but if we insist he'll sell it but he will voice his mind. Which can be kind of rough for some people. But he's a good guy and we've been to the shop all different times of the day. He's even great when my 4 year old had a meltdown because he couldn't have a fishing bobber. I recommend him to allot of people looking for unique pieces. But be prepared to do allot of talking which my husband is a master of all in all we'll continue to support Allen and his family. Some people need to understand he's in his 70s, a war vet with hearing aids(I didn't know this at first and was confused as to why he wasn't really talking to me when he wasn't looking at me because I'm not a loud talker at all never was and thought he was ignoring me. Totally wasn't the case), he's retired so this shop is more a hobby to keep him busy, and he grabs his beers around closing time which isn't an issue with us since it is his home and we are usually the last ones leaving, he's also human and has bad days. It's going to be a sad day when we lose him which I hope is not for many years.

I just got into trap shooting. A couple of guys at my club turned me onto the place. I bought my gun from him. Very nice people there. He saw me pick up a gun left handed and then there was only one gun he would let me buy....lol. Very happy with my purchase and the experience. I will do business there as long as the place is around. We were there for about two hours. I was the only one supposed to buy a gun that day but one of the guys that brought me there bought a gun too and we both got enough ammo to get us started.

If you have never been to his place you have to go. When I dream at night I dream that store is my gun room. It's like Nirvana for gun people......lmao...

Back
Top Bottom