Alone.

you mean Jose, the one who has a "survival school" He starved out and FAKED the canoe spill, so he could save face. That one?

Yes, Jose! I liked that guy. It did surprise me that he tapped out after getting wet but I guess it never occurred to me that he might have staged it.

somebody on one of the alone channels pointed out the discrepancies. I just looked at the stupidity of it, in general. When testing a new craft, why not be naked, with dry clothes, a fire, a cover of some sort, hot rocks, etc, waiting on the shore? Why risk getting your boots and clothes wet, not having a fire ready, etc? Stupid, man.

somebody on one of the alone channels pointed out the discrepancies. I just looked at the stupidity of it, in general. When testing a new craft, why not be naked, with dry clothes, a fire, a cover of some sort, hot rocks, etc, waiting on the shore? Why risk getting your boots and clothes wet, not having a fire ready, etc? Stupid, man.
Could be. I thought he’d win too. As far as staged it’s easy to be smart at home, different when you’re exhausted in the woods and not very well feed to boot. I think he was ready to pack it in and getting soaked just broke him, but who knows. His woodsmenship was strong. As soon as the dude stuck the fish he caught in his little waiting pool in the last episode I knew that was a big mistake, but in the field might have thought it Brilliant at the time. I thought the girl who got the fish hook stuck in her hand would win this time. Her woods skills were among the best of all The contestants but one slip and she was gone. The Wild can be very unforgiving in the blink of an eye. I’ve made a few mistakes in the big woods and got real lucky things worked out in my favor. Good show.

Am I the only one who keeps clicking on this thread worried that a fellow like minded NESer is calling out for help... Only to find that it's just about a show thing?

Could be. I thought he’d win too. As far as staged it’s easy to be smart at home, different when you’re exhausted in the woods and not very well feed to boot. I think he was ready to pack it in and getting soaked just broke him, but who knows. His woodsmenship was strong. As soon as the dude stuck the fish he caught in his little waiting pool in the last episode I knew that was a big mistake, but in the field might have thought it Brilliant at the time. I thought the girl who got the fish hook stuck in her hand would win this time. Her woods skills were among the best of all The contestants but one slip and she was gone. The Wild can be very unforgiving in the blink of an eye. I’ve made a few mistakes in the big woods and got real lucky things worked out in my favor. Good show.

All of the above plus I think many people underestimate the psychological strain of being alone for extended periods of time. Humans are social beings and being totally alone works against a positive mental attitude and our ability to think as clearly as we normally would.

I am also leaning towards Dave. He did really well last time except for his self imposed starvation. He had plenty of food (just didn't eat enough of it!), a good camp and was knowledgeable from a survival perspective.

If I am ever cast for that show I will be so fat by the time filming starts they they will have to fly me in with a chinook.

This reminds me of a Naked and Affraid episode. One of the females said she really packed on the fat in the days leading up to deployment and one of the guys on the same episode had a completely opposite theory whereas he tried to teach his body to starve and get by on less food. He didn't last long.

Just caught the latest episode from Thursday, August 2 on DVD. Randy tapped out even though he had the best long term shelter out of the remaining cast. I thought he would have lasted much longer than he did based on his survivalist background, but the solitude and loneliness got to him. File this under "money can't buy everything"!

It must suck after 35+ days to be constantly starving, staring at the same 4 walls (so to speak), no one to interact with, winter/freezing temp's approaching and nothing really engaging mentally to focus on. I think boredom and the lack of human interaction is the most pervasive curse the cast has to face.

Is this only on history? Anyway to watch it without Verizon or Comcast?
Looks like you might be able to watch it on their website. I did not try to watch a whole episode but the timer on the video indicated it was the full episode (probably some ads inserted along the way). Link is to episode 2.

Back
Top Bottom