Almost forgot Rule #1!

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
Saturday, I went to Four Seasons Guns to look for a .357 wheelgun.

The 2.5" Mod 66 that I'd seen on the website was gone by the time I got there, but there was a 4", as well as a couple of Rugers. Looked at the 66, then decided to look at the Ruger.

Carl hands it to me, and I sight it on the wall above head height and start to pull the trigger to try the feel of it... and I stopped myself dead where I was and CAREFULLY lowered the hammer with my free hand and opened the cylinder.

Of course, it was empty... but I'd forgotten my personal rule - ALWAYS check the action personally - and Carl had forgotten to check the action when he got it out of the case! I pointed out to Carl that we'd BOTH forgotten Rule #1, and we just looked at each other for a few seconds trying to figure out how we'd both f---ed up. All I could think was how glad I was that I remembered BEFORE letting that hammer drop. (All I'd have heard was a "click", but still, you never know...)

Folks - Just a reminder... Always assume those things are loaded! Even if someone you trust is handing it to you. 99 times out of a hundred you'd be right, but all it takes is once.

Ross

PS - I did decide on the 4" Mod 66; I'll be picking it up Saturday (so I can avoid paying taxes on it). Anyone want to buy some presentation grips with the seal for Somerville's Reserve PD on them? I'm getting some Hogue grips for it straightaway.

The action should be opened when someone hands you a firearm - no matter what kind it is. I usually smile and ask them to open it for me. 99% of the time, they forget gun safety and as soon as I say something, they have a V-8 moment <slap forehead> and usually turn slightly pink.

Ross is right - NEVER assume. Although it is more than likely an unloaded firearm - we can never become so complacent that we forget. Complacency kills.

Lynne said:
The action should be opened when someone hands you a firearm - no matter what kind it is. I usually smile and ask them to open it for me. 99% of the time, they forget gun safety and as soon as I say something, they have a V-8 moment <slap forehead> and usually turn slightly pink.

Ross is right - NEVER assume. Although it is more than likely an unloaded firearm - we can never become so complacent that we forget. Complacency kills.

Well, the store was busy... and I was looking at multiple firearms and not really thinking about if it open or not, I was thinking "which one do I want". Even had the gun had a round in it and it discharged (through my carelessness), I don't think that anyone would have been injured... it was aimed at an interior wall at an angle high enough to ensure that no one could have been hit... Unless the decking in the building was thin enough that it would have gone through, which is unlikely as the floor decking in commercial buildings is usually concrete. So one good habit would have cancelled out a bad mistake and ensured that no one would have gotten shot.

Still... this should have all been moot, as I should have looked at the action, and Carl should have opened it, too. It just shows that we're human, too. (well, dwarven in my case [lol] ). But, as I said, I did catch our mistakes BEFORE the hammer dropped.

But I don't think I'll make that mistake again... that feeling of cold horror when I realized that I was about to drop the hammer on a gun I had not personally verified as empty is NOT one I want to have again.

Ross

I was in Four Seasons over the weekend picking up for ammo and noticed a customer with a semi-auto covering a lot of people with the barrel as he messed around with the slide. I was kind of surprised that no one behind the counter corrected him, but the place was jam-packed and they may simply not have noticed, as I think the salesperson was distracted looking for accessories in a box. In retrospect, I should have said something to the guy, since I had noticed it happening.

Back
Top Bottom