• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Almighty Supreme Born Allah v. Milling

I'll bet that thread title got your attention.......but this is serious.

Almighty Supreme Born Allah, Petitioner v. Lynn Milling, et al.
is a pending cert petition before the US Supreme Court that challenges the use of qualified immunity 'which prevents victims of unconstitutional conduct from obtaining justice and harms law enforcement by undermining the public trust necessary for officers to do their jobs'.

The case is notable because of this amicus brief urging SCOTUS to grant cert:
Cross-Ideological Groups Dedicated to Ensuring Official Accountability, Restoring the Public's Trust In Law Enforcement, and Promoting The Rule of Law filed. The brief is signed by 15 diverse organizations and unlikely bedfellows including the ACLU, Americans for Prosperity, Second Amendment Foundation, and Institute for Justice.

I hope SCOTUS grants cert here and finally puts the brakes on qualified immunity. But I doubt they will, especially now. QI is the downside of a conservative court predisposed to siding with the government.

Qualified immunity
From Wikipedia:
Qualified immunity is a legal doctrine in United States federal law that shields government officials from being sued for discretionary actions performed within their official capacity, unless their actions violated "clearly established" federal law or constitutional rights.[1] Qualified immunity thus protects officials who "make reasonable but mistaken judgments about open legal questions,"[2] but does not protect "the plainly incompetent or those who knowingly violate the law"[3].

The Volokh Conspiracy covers qualified immunity often, including Allah v. Milling.

It is strange that "qualified immunity" is available as a new right, an unwritten defense to civil rights lawsuits brought under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, and can prevent plaintiffs from recovering damages just because a government actor didn't know what he was doing was unconstitutional or otherwise acted in "good faith". Apparently ignorance of the law is an excuse, but only for the TSA, cops, etc.

The Volokh Conspiracy covers qualified immunity often, including Allah v. Milling.

It is strange that "qualified immunity" is available as a new right, an unwritten defense to civil rights lawsuits brought under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, and can prevent plaintiffs from recovering damages just because a government actor didn't know what he was doing was unconstitutional or otherwise acted in "good faith". Apparently ignorance of the law is an excuse, but only for the TSA, cops, etc.
Maybe we'll finally get some benefit from all those quinn bill diplomas as the cops scramble to learn the law.

Back
Top Bottom