• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Alloy vs. Steel Frame

Hi everyone,
I have a 3rd generation S&W back to the factory for some irregular wear marks where the frame meets the slide. I have not yet heard from S&W service about the problem, but it got me thinking. Is an alloy frame pistol OK to shoot on a regular basis, or should I only practice occassionally with it, use it for carry, and shoot an all steel gun for regular (weekly) range use? Figure 100-150 rounds a month. Anyone else ever have a problem with the Aluminum to steel connection?

Chris

Their guns are made to shoot!

S&W gives a lifetime warranty, so if there ever is a problem, let S&W solve it for you. They will even pay shipping both ways if you ask them for a pre-paid mailer.

AL frame is likely to wear out sooner than a steel frame. But I doubt most shooters will come close to wearing out an AL frame. And as Len said, S&W stands behind their guns. Shoot it all you want.

When Colt first came out with an aluminium frame with the original Commander model in the early 1950's there was some concern about wear of aluminium frames. S&W soon followed with the original 9mm Model 39 (I find it ironic that people see S&W as some kind of Johnny come Lately in the semi-auto market, and except for Walther, have continuously produced DA semi-autos longer than anyone else.) While it is true that aluminum frame guns will wear out quicker than steel framed guns, a person would have to put a whole hell of a lot of rounds through the gun to make that happen.

As an aside, S&W made a few all aluminium revolvers for the Air Force back in the early 1950's. Apparently there were problems with the strength of aluminium cylinders back then, and they were replaced with aluminium framed and steel cylindar modes which became the basis for S&W Airweight series of handguns.

Today the making of aluminium frames is a mature technology, and arguably even a bit passe, considering the fact that there are new alloys and polymers which have superceded it as frame material.

Like Len says too, if you have a problem with a S&W, they (sic) do have a lifetime service policy and currently their (sic) customer service is very good from what I understand.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom