• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Allowing .22's at USPSA or IDPA matches?

A few people have asked me if they can shoot a .22 at the USPSA OR IDPA matches. Although they will not be included in the overall results, I do not have a problem with it. I will score them as a seperate match. Most of the requests have come from newer shooters.

What are some of your thoughts?

Will they work froma holster? What about ammo/mag carriers? The RO with the clock will have to get much closer to the shooter at end of the stage to make sure to pick up the last shot on the timer - if you're not close enough, you'll miss it.

What about steel targets? How will you score them since they likely won't fall over? You'll need some other way to trip activated targets, instead of using a falling popper.

Do you include them in your reporting activity to USPSA? How would you list them - under what division?

If I were shooting the match I wouldn't have a problem with someone shooting an "unauthorized" caliber as long as they weren't holding things up and their score wasn't going in the books. the practical issue is what others have noted: steel won't fall and that'll be a show stopper if you have any activated targets.

on the plus side think of all the money you'll save on pasters that only have to cover those tiny holes!

Also, wouldn't you have to mandate the shooter drop hammer on an empty chamber at the end for the safety protocol to clear the range?... which peens the snot out of a lot of .22 rimfire pistols? (I know some are different from others, but I have always been told this is a bad idea. )

-Mike

We do steel challenge every weds from 5 til sunset. Usually 3 stages and most people are shooting rimfire.
As for the issues above like timer picking up shots, steel activators not being able to be engaged, reporting to USPSA... I would say once its tried some of the issues will get worked out. Am pretty sure the timer will not be a problem, knock down activators will just have to be skipped, I would not report it to USPSA as they do not recognize them, but I would score them together as two divisions, optics and no optics. Most are 10 round guns, they can use a holster if they have one or start low ready and keep mags where they can. I think of this as an inexpensive way for someone to participate and try out a sport they may otherwise skip. I do not expect it to be a large number of people and if by chance it is, I would probably do a rimfire only match every other month on a saturday or something like that.

Will they work froma holster? What about ammo/mag carriers?

This is the problem. No holsters, no mag carriers, not enough mags, greater chance of misfires.

If they can't handle a .38 or 9mm, then chances are they don't have the experience working with a holster, and that's where the real danger lies. I would not allow it if I was match director. Send them to steel challenge.

The more I think about it the more I think its a bad idea to mix the two. Was just reading BE Forum and saw some better ideas for side matches or seperate match altogether.
Plus the feed back above is all good thinking

Actually fairly glad to see this thread - there have been several "matches" that have included an "outlaw" division which was for .22.
The matches in question were Mike Briggs specials and the division was primarily for one or two guys who have a disability - on guy was blown up at least twice during tours and has difficulty as his thumbs are literally not connected to the rest of the hand.

Not arguing for or against this but the way the participants of the Outlaw division came prepared, it went smooth. All had an abundance of mags, pouches and outside of caliber - nothing different.
Given that none of these matches were either sanctioned or counted for anything other than the "Thanks for showing up" we get at the end, I dont see how it mattered.

Now that the Briggs show has moved to SIG and supposedly the matches are sanctioned, it will be interesting to see if the divisions continue.

Both USPSA/IPSC and IDPA were originally conceived with the idea of combat pistols or self-defense pistols. That is why the rules of both organizations specifically mandate a centerfire handgun with a minimum caliber, and that is also the attraction for most participants. Accuracy - Power - Speed.

That being said, we try to support new shooters in every way possible. If rimfire works better for a new shooter, then rimfire it is, as long as it is a monthly match. And of course, the score will not be entered. We usually record the score on paper for the shooter to bring home.

I'm fine with rimfire for juniors or disabled shooters, but if you're an able bodied adult, you gotta play by the rules. Steel Challenge is growing in MA and is a great place for new action shooters to get started.

I don't shoot action pistol, but I shoot steel (badly!). I don't particularly like the idea of the .22s playing with the big boys because of their lack of recoil, and hence almost instant shot recovery. The same shooter will do better with a .22 than with any other caliber.

I am totally fine with 22's having a separate "division".

A few people have asked me if they can shoot a .22 at the USPSA OR IDPA matches. Although they will not be included in the overall results, I do not have a problem with it. I will score them as a seperate match. Most of the requests have come from newer shooters.

What are some of your thoughts?

Neither USPSA nor IDPA allow 22LR. Minimum caliber requirement is in the rules of both games. If you are operating under the rules of the game, stick to the rules which includes Power factor and minimum caliber.

Best way for newer shooters to get into the game is Production, Revolver, or Single stack. As we were reminded at the recent RO course I attended for refresher, The rules of the game are the same whether at the local level or at the National level.

Last edited:
I'm fine with rimfire for juniors or disabled shooters, but if you're an able bodied adult, you gotta play by the rules. Steel Challenge is growing in MA and is a great place for new action shooters to get started.

I am with Jeff on this. (I would also add hot chicks to your list of disabled people.)

My wife has been talking about wanting to shoot USPSA but IMO I think she'd feel more comfortable using a .22 the first time around. I'm hoping to get her to come to HSC practices with me in the meantime but personally I'm all for letting people shoot (no score) if it gives more people access to the sport. I can see someone wanting to try it with a .22, realizing how fun it is, and then coming back with a regulation gun and shooting for score. The same thing would apply for youngsters disabled, or just newer shooters - the more people we can get involved the better for the sport.

My wife has been talking about wanting to shoot USPSA but IMO I think she'd feel more comfortable using a .22 the first time around. I'm hoping to get her to come to HSC practices with me in the meantime but personally I'm all for letting people shoot (no score) if it gives more people access to the sport. I can see someone wanting to try it with a .22, realizing how fun it is, and then coming back with a regulation gun and shooting for score. The same thing would apply for youngsters disabled, or just newer shooters - the more people we can get involved the better for the sport.

Then take her to practice with you, and maybe some other folks too. Many youngsters and ladies, and even handicapped people shoot the games just the way they are intended and with the rules intact. Look at Katie Harris, she won the USPSA Multigun title in Tactical Optics and High Lady, she's 17 and weighs maybe 100 pounds. If the desire to compete is there, they will compete within the rules.

If .22's are allowed for able-bodied people, then USPSA would officially have to change what the V in DVC stands for, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Dan,

Hoping to bring her to HSC next week with me.

TY43215,

I didn't say anything about changing the rules. Letting someone shoot for no score doesn't affect you in the slightest. Having the occasional person shoot a .22 for no score as an intro to USPSA really shouldn't be a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom