• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Alliant 2400 + Winchester small magnum primers = too hot?

I recently started reloading 357 magnum, and heard that Alliant's 2400 powder and Winchester small magnum primers was a really "hot" combination. Here is what I just loaded:

357 Mag
- 158gr LSWC
- 13.5gr Alliant 2400
- 1.59" overall length
- Winchester small magnum primers

Is that recipe "too hot", or should it be OK? I've seen some of the 2400 recipes calling for up to 17gr of powder, but it didn't specify the primer used. Some folks are saying the Winchester small mags run real hot.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

That's the same exact recipe I've been using for the last 20+ years in all of my .357 Magnums, with one exception: I just use standard primers. I haven't found Magnum primers to be necessary for that particular combination. I also get excellent results with the same powder charge using 4227 powder.

If you're not seeing any signs of excess pressure you should be fine. What kind of accuracy are you getting with that load? In my testing the 4227 seemed to give a very slight accuracy edge. I load either 2400 or 4227 depending on what I have on hand.

I use 14 +/- grains 2400, 158gr plated flat points or jhp's and standard primers. Nice and stout. However, I love plated or lead 158's with 6.0 grains of Unique. Mild and accurate for me, about 1000fps.

I haven't shot them yet, so I have no feedback. I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow or the next day.

I got in touch with Alliant and they said I should be AOK with the Winchester magnum small primers, so long as the crimp was good and tight. I sent them a photo of one of the rounds and he said it looked good. We'll see!

I finally got a chance to test out the hand loads last night. I'd say they were a hair more accurate than the factory loads I was shooting before. The only downside I found is that the 2400 seems REALLY dirty (which I've read before). I'm pretty happy with the recipe though!

Back
Top Bottom