All Things Motors (Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Boats...)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The pinion angle looks way offset.
It is an illusion or is that drive shaft at an angle from the transmission to the rear end?

View attachment 326163
Probably at an angle and illusion. I'm a sheetmetal guy but if memory serves me either your engine and trans or rear end must be offset to allow the universal joints to move in multiple directions to allow them not to freeze up.
This guy has had about 300 cars and been building them for 50+ years. They are all well thought out and well built. I have no doubts this one will be the same.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With all due respect no blue needed when there is a solid lifter 471 blown 327 nestled under the hood backed by a 4 speed.
With all due respect, why the hell were those valve covers cut that way for the breathers? Could have put them at the front AND back without destroying the name.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think I asked this before but never got a decent answer.

WTF is with all these idiots running around with rear suspension set up like this picture? I'm seeing a few every day.

tire.jpg

Sweeney

NES Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The pinion angle looks way offset.
It is an illusion or is that drive shaft at an angle from the transmission to the rear end?
Exactly the reason u-joints are employed. It's certainly not as common to have lateral offset as it is vertical but if the joints at either end of the shaft are within 7 degrees (some say 15) angle of each other there will be no vibration as the rotational oscillations cancel.
Plus, the drive shaft doesn't know in which plane it's offset.

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think I asked this before but never got a decent answer.

WTF is with all these idiots running around with rear suspension set up like this picture? I'm seeing a few every day.

View attachment 329134

OK. First, they like the look. That's it.
And if you look at how car designers actually design cars, they always do the initial concept sketches with over-exaggerated wheels, camber and lowering.

Overdoing the camber helps drifters reduce the contact patch so they can break the grip easier.

And, in Germany, there are laws which make it illegal for tire tread to extend beyond the fender. So to get around this car guys came up with the idea of stretching the tire on the rim, and adding camber to angle the tire so the tread is in the fender. This is in lieu of adding flares or new fenders.

It's not dumb. If you don't like it that's your bag. To each their own.

W.E.C

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lowering a sports car ,resetting the pumpkin angle to compensate factory drive shaft angle , and rear camber angle on independent suspension to get more rubber on the road in corners is involved and specific.

Top Bottom