All things, MA non-resident LTC

How do NJ residents get Global Entry then? Reminds me of a similar issue when NY DMV refused to provide records and DHS stopped processing NY applications and renewals:

For those not familiar, any arrest can be a DQ for Global Entry; much more stringent than firearms licensing.
The irony is, I am an active Global Entry member 😂. The Feds have retained my prints and yet MA still can’t process me.

The irony is, I am an active Global Entry member 😂. The Feds have retained my prints and yet MA still can’t process me.
I must be missing something here. All the criminal background check stuff is going to come through the Feds, so at most all they need from NJ is confirmation of residency, which they can get by simply running your DL, and I know they can do that for any state, and confirming the NJ LTC (or whatever it's called). Would NJ really refuse to confirm to another LE department whether or not you have a permit?

And as has been said, there must be/have been other NJ residents who have gotten a non-res MA LTC, or a non-res from some other state. Something is missing from this picture.

I still say, have a lawyer inquire on your behalf, maybe @nstassel or Keith Langer

BIG UPDATE:

After several emails, FOIAs and veiled legal threats, my application was FINALLY approved, and I got a voicemail saying my license was being printed and going out in today’s mail.

The key here was utilizing a contact I had at the MA FRB. This man is a “higher up” who I discovered through a friend. Once I looped him in on what was going on he resolved it all in under 3 hours.

I’ll report back hopefully in a few days when my license arrives.

Figured I'd start chiming in with my process progress.

Sent in my application packet on January 4th. Paid the fee using a USPS money order since my bank starting charging big bucks for certified checks. Looks like they just cashed my check today, so that's a start I guess.

Sent in my application packet on January 4th. Paid the fee using a USPS money order since my bank starting charging big bucks for certified checks. Looks like they just cashed my check today, so that's a start I guess.
Just got my interview date. A little over 5 months out, and about 6 months from my application packet mailing.

We sent in our renewal forms on 10/17/22.

I called a few days ago and was told the wife’s background check was just done the day before on 2/7/23, meanwhile her LTC expired on 2/9.

Mine is complete and waiting to be printed, both should be mailed out next week. Mine expired on the 2/18 so I have about a week until mine expires.

I know they’re getting more applications Post Bruen and I have several friends who are applying who never would have before but they need to get their shit together.

We sent in our renewal forms on 10/17/22.

I called a few days ago and was told the wife’s background check was just done the day before on 2/7/23, meanwhile her LTC expired on 2/9.

Mine is complete and waiting to be printed, both should be mailed out next week. Mine expired on the 2/18 so I have about a week until mine expires.

I know they’re getting more applications Post Bruen and I have several friends who are applying who never would have before but they need to get their shit together.
These delays go way back before Bruen, its the continuing attempt to limit the rights of the people. It won't end until someone gets it into court and nobody wants to be that guy. Maybe a lawyer can come up with some kind of class action rights violation suit that doesn't rely on the class members having eventually gotten their LTC. So class members could be both those waiting and those that did eventually receive an LTC. But once you get the LTC the court is likely to say "sorry nothing we can do now", thus killing the case. And so they continue the delay.

Wait, you had to wait 6 months JUST to get your appointment for the interview….which is in ANOTHER 5 months?!?!?!?!
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. Was doing absolute timing. Overall the interview is about 6 months from application mail date. Was 1 month from application mailing to interview date notification and 5 months from notification to actual interview.

Update with timeframe:

Sent in our renewal forms on 10/17/22.
Received our LTC’s in todays mail 2/13/23.

For those interested for the reasoning of why we wanted our LTC we wrote “for protection of self and family”. That was it, we skipped to whole long winded essay and explanation this time.

When I had a Non-Res LTC, you couldn’t submit a renewal more than 3mo before expiration and it took 4-5mo to process, so I was always w/o a valid license for 1-2mo. During the yearly interview, they always asked if I carried in MA during that 1-2mo. I wonder if some said yes? My answer was always no. At one point in time, the interviewer said my reasons were no longer considered valid, as BOS (my workplace for 16yr) was no longer considered a high-risk city. I was told I could retract my application so it wouldn’t be denied. I didn’t get my $100 back…

I‘m retired now, but still drive from NH through MA 2-3 times monthly on my way to NY for family & events. Until NY has a non-Res LTC, I’ll not need a MA non-Res LTC. I figure that will happen never, or long after I’m dead.

So there is no grace period or legal protection to carry if your NR LTC expires during the long renewing process?

Confusing

So there is no grace period or legal protection to carry if your NR LTC expires during the long renewing process?

Confusing
Nope. When I was given my interview date, I was reminded that I could not carry when my current NR-LTC expired. During the interview, I was asked if I carried in MA for that 1-2mo when my NR-LTC had expired. When I said no, the response was good - that would have been a reason to deny renewal.

I retired and no longer work in MA, but travel through MA to NY 1-2 times monthly. If NY had a NR-LTC, I’d get a MA NR-LTC too, but I don’t expect NY NR-LTCs are high on the priority list for any gun right organization.

Applied for a Mass. non-resident LTC on March 27. Just got an email this week (4/6/23) that my scheduled date for my interview in Chelsea is November 21, 2023. I'll do the arithmetic for you; that's 8 months just to get the interview.
I'm at my 6 year in-person renewal mark (I've had my MA NR LTC since about 2006), and it's also been scheduled about the same very lengthy time === very, very far out as stated.

Be aware that the ridiculous time delays are directly related to the "brand new applications" for NR LTC submissions (since the Bruen ruling).

Those first time apps have absolutely flooded the MA licensing board.

Thanks a lot newbs!

;-)

I thought renewing 6 months prior was good, but unfortunately = NO.
My current permit will expire even before the renewal interview.

Next year, I will need to submit the renewal application the day after I receive the renewal.

Last edited:
I'm at my 6 year in-person renewal mark (I've had my MA NR LTC since about 2006), and it's also been scheduled about the same very lengthy time, very far out as stated.

Be aware that the ridiculous time delays are directly related to the "brand new applications" for NR LTC submissions (since the Bruen ruling).
Those have absolutely flooded the MA licensing board.

Thanks a lot newbs!

;-)
People have been commenting on the super long delays for non-res since long before Bruen. or are you being sarcastic?

People have been commenting on the super long delays for non-res since long before Bruen. or are you being sarcastic?
Every year has taken a little longer. On average = 4 to 5 months turn around.
The reality is that the MA FRB has a very small and limited staff. So it's not their fault. They have always been overloaded..... but, now they are being overwhelmed.

(BTW, my first submission was back when the MA State Police did the processing).

This year is setting new records (in terms of the overall wait time)

My interview will be over 6 months after they received the renewal submission.
(Again, I realize that they are doing the best that their small office can, so don't get frustrated with them).

Add the turn-around time of the usual 30 days after the interview for a typical renewed license to be received.
Then, maybe add another 30 days because of the current overload = means that this could go to 8 months.

I will likely be submitting my next year's renewal within 30 days of receiving this year's renewal.
No sarcasm, and no exaggeration.

Just letting people know how things actually are.

Start early, be patient, and prepare accordingly.

Last edited:
This is obviously unconstitutional and GOAL should deal with this. What’s even more frustrating about having gone through this process, on my interview date I was chatting up the security guards and they say it’s routine for over 50% of applicants to not show up on their interview date.

This is obviously unconstitutional and GOAL should deal with this. What’s even more frustrating about having gone through this process, on my interview date I was chatting up the security guards and they say it’s routine for over 50% of applicants to not show up on their interview date.
GOAL deals with this regularly. MA doesn't give a rats azz.

GOAL deals with this regularly. MA doesn't give a rats azz.
MA doesn’t care how long it takes and as non residents I’m not sure what would be the best approach to deal with it.

I think other states should get together with MA gun rights groups and lawyers and see if there’s a way to attack this from both sides.

If we could figure out a way to, at minimum create a timeline similar to resident LTC’s have (40 days) then it would set a standard to hold them accountable.

It could also be used to work towards reciprocity and force MA to either be better or accept out of state permits.

Ultimately set the groundwork towards these goals and eventually eliminate the process all together.

If we could figure out a way to, at minimum create a timeline similar to resident LTC’s have (40 days) then it would set a standard to hold them accountable.

Even the resident LTC 40 day standard doesn’t do anything to hold anyone accountable. It’s a toothless law. I don’t see how implementing another toothless law just to be ignored would help.
It could also be used to work towards reciprocity and force MA to either be better or accept out of state permits.
Trying to force MA to be better with anything involving guns is nigh impossible, no matter who is involved. Just look at the mess they’ve made with stun guns after SCOTUS smacked them down in Caetano. I honestly believe the best way to do this is to push for national reciprocity on the federal level. State level pro-2A gains are never gonna happen.

I'm not sure whether there's a better thread to post this in, so I figured I'd post here, giving an update on timing of my recent non-resident permit renewal.

I mailed my renewal application on 2/27/23, and just received the new permit today, 6/29/23. The new permit is dated 6/27/23, so the whole renewal process took four months. I applied three months in advance, thinking that was enough time, but it obviously wasn't. So I'll know to plan accordingly next time.

Frank

If you can't get anywhere with NJSP, I would suggest that you get your state rep or state sen involved to light a fire under NJSP to respond. You'd be surprised how effective that is where we've had issues with PDs in MA. Good luck.

Update: Heard back from NJSP. NJ is a “closed record” state by statute meaning they are legally prohibited from fulfilling MA’s request. So it appears I’m at a stalemate here. What am I supposed to do?

Again, this is the first state I’ve had this issue with so it must be their method of fetching background checks as no other state would’ve issued me a CCW if they couldn’t complete it.
I was going to suggest reaching out to Evan Nappen. He's a big 2A attorney in NJ. Sounds like you resolved it below, though.

Mine last year (2022) would have been the 6-year in-person; however, it was delayed for so long my renewal only came in July. I submitted this year (2023) in February, as current one expires in July (they used to be December, then January, then February). Interview isn't until October, and then who knows how long until it arrives. The ONLY good thing is that they don't start the date on the new one until this issue it (they used to mail it before expiration, with a start date of when the old one ran out). That being the case, I'm going to see if there's a post for clarification on the types of pepper spray I can carry while waiting. :rolleyes:
Every year has taken a little longer. On average = 4 to 5 months turn around.
The reality is that the MA FRB has a very small and limited staff. So it's not their fault. They have always been overloaded..... but, now they are being overwhelmed.

(BTW, my first submission was back when the MA State Police did the processing).

This year is setting new records (in terms of the overall wait time)

My interview will be over 6 months after they received the renewal submission.
(Again, I realize that they are doing the best that their small office can, so don't get frustrated with them).

Add the turn-around time of the usual 30 days after the interview for a typical renewed license to be received.
Then, maybe add another 30 days because of the current overload = means that this could go to 8 months.

I will likely be submitting my next year's renewal within 30 days of receiving this year's renewal.
No sarcasm, and no exaggeration.

Just letting people know how things actually are.

Start early, be patient, and prepare accordingly.
I guess when this next one finally renews I'll just submit my next renewal. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure whether there's a better thread to post this in, so I figured I'd post here, giving an update on timing of my recent non-resident permit renewal.

I mailed my renewal application on 2/27/23, and just received the new permit today, 6/29/23. The new permit is dated 6/27/23, so the whole renewal process took four months. I applied three months in advance, thinking that was enough time, but it obviously wasn't. So I'll know to plan accordingly next time.

Frank
Yep, that's not bad, but I think its faster if you don't have the "in-person interview" requirement to deal with.

If you are up for the Non-Res renewal and also have the "in-person interview process" involved, the wait is brutally longer.

I submitted in February (before your date), and my in-person-interview isn't until late August = that's 6 months just for the interview (they stated that it was the next available opening that they had).

Then I have to wait to receive the renewal (which will likely be about another month's wait) = That's 7 months overall.

Last edited:
Got my renewal finally.

(With the in-person interview required) the total turn-around time, from the renewal application submission, to the receipt of the new non-res MA LTC = took 7 months + 1 week.

Got my renewal finally.

(With the in-person interview required) the total turn-around time, from the renewal application submission, to the receipt of the new non-res MA LTC = took 7 months + 1 week.
I do wonder whether we could find grounds to sue the state. I realize that such a lawsuit would fail in state courts, so there would have to be a challenge in federal courts. Seven months to get an LTC is just not right.

I do wonder whether we could find grounds to sue the state. I realize that such a lawsuit would fail in state courts, so there would have to be a challenge in federal courts. Seven months to get an LTC is just not right.
The state would just issue the plaintiffs their LTCs and moot the case. Federal judge would dismiss the case as moot and CA1 would affirm the lower court judgment. Doubt SCOTUS would intervene on this sort of matter any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom