All Things Batteries - weapon lights, flashlight and so on

Looking for a set of AA rechargeable and CR123 rechargeable - What are you guys using for sources?

I have flashlights and a game camera that needs constant refeeding.

The CR123 I limit to Panasonic and SureFire brands - I know there are leak issues with other brands.

AA batteries always seem to die on the shelf or have limited life in service.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Eneloop for rechargeable AAs. No comment on the 123s.

Same here.

I started using the AAA Eneloops in my headlamp and figured they wouldn't last as long as alkalines, but at least I wouldn't have to keep buying them. They last longer, which may be because I typically use my headlamp for running in the winter (cold weather). I used AA Eneloops in my camera flash and they were also fantastic: long life, faster cycling, etc.

I have no experience with 123s other than my security system uses them and I'll probably have to buy a shitload at some point.

CPF is the place to go for battery tech discussions.

I've held off on getting into RCR123A, specifically looking for the 3.0V rechargeables -- many devices give dire warnings about using the 3.7V cells, some companies, like Eotech, apparently strongly discourage using even the 3.0V RCR123A cells.

Anybody have recent experience with regular CR123A (non-rechargeable)? What brand/supplier has the best balance of price and shelf life?

I found this site from battery forums. The 123As I got from them seem really good, and really cheap since they're not big name brands (but the components are top notch).

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/

I have a bunch of Tenergy AA/AAA/C etc rechargeables I got from Amazon, they seem pretty sucky to me. They do get better as they break in, but seem to have a really short life, and don't hold a charge.

I've held off on getting into RCR123A, specifically looking for the 3.0V rechargeables -- many devices give dire warnings about using the 3.7V cells, some companies, like Eotech, apparently strongly discourage using even the 3.0V RCR123A cells.

Anybody have recent experience with regular CR123A (non-rechargeable)? What brand/supplier has the best balance of price and shelf life?

The Panisonic I get at the gun shows always hold a charge and last predictably in my light. I recently got a batch of Sure-Fire batteries have worked well in the past too. I recently got a batch of Streamlight with a purchase, nothing to report at the moment.
Stay away from cheap knock-off's, the consensus is that Panasonic makes most of the good brands

I've been using AA and AAA Eneloops exclusively for the past four years and can't imagine going back to alkaline primaries. For RCR213a's, a few months ago I bough a batch of LiFePO4 batteries from this website. I've been using them in my Surefire x300 and Surefire G2 (aftermarket Cree LED) and haven't had any issues with them at all. I can't speak for runtime because I don't run either of those lights for more than a few minutes at a time, but I haven't notices any self-discharge issues yet.

Another eneloop user here. I've been running them in all my flashlights and my handheld GPS for about a year with great results. I don't see myself buying non-rechargeables ever again. I use a small 4-cell recharging dock that came with one of the AA packs I bought, but plan to upgrade to a better smart charger soon to maximize their lifespan.

Thread expansion question:

Anyone have a favorite CR2032 battery for long life? My Leupold uses them for the illuminated reticle. I've been using the regular Energizer. I have two of the Duracell Medical to try after this one dies. Winter is especially harsh on battery life I've found and I shoot extended periods all winter.

I just got a terralux LED conversion kit for my old streamlight stinger. Wow. This kit gave my old stinger a new life. Went from dull yellow light to super bright white light. Found one online for 40 bucks, got it three days later. A great upgrade for any flashlight. The make LED kits for many different flashlights.

terralux is the name of the kit.

I just ordered a TLR-1 HL. It runs on CR123A batts, so I guess I'm getting into yet another battery caliber. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to put it on yet; I'm gonna see how blinding the thing is first. It's more than double the light output of the regular TLR-1 and that has it's pluses and minuses.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got a terralux LED conversion kit for my old streamlight stinger. Wow. This kit gave my old stinger a new life. Went from dull yellow light to super bright white light. Found one online for 40 bucks, got it three days later. A great upgrade for any flashlight. The make LED kits for many different flashlights.

terralux is the name of the kit.

I bought one of their conversions for an old 3-C Maglight. The old shitty batteries that barely produced a glow with the old bulb are still running strong with the LED. It's nice having my old Maglight back in service again.

Thomas distributing www.thomasdistributing.com and Battery Junction www.batteryjunction.com are places I've been pleased with and found good deals on batteries.

I regularly use Eneloops for AA & AAA, Also Energizer Lithium batteries. In CR 123 I've used Titanium Innovations which are a good battery for the price. Also Streamlights, Surefire and Rayovac batteries. I don't use them under heavy usage situations so can't really tell you which ones are the best.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom