All Lawful Purposes not acceptable reason in "Green" town?

I have a friend who is applying for his LTC-A in the town of Winchester, Ma. The instructions on the application say that when giving a reason for applying that "For All Lawful Purposes is not acceptable". I have not seen this before and am looking for advice on what he should put for an answer. I was thinking something along the lines of "For self protection" or "For protection of Family" or something like that. Anyone else have any good ideas? He is not thinking that he is going to be carrying until he gets more training and feels better prepared to carry, but he does not want a restricted LTC either (I dont blame him).

Thanks
/John

He is just a average guy that wants to leagaly have a firearm to protect himself and his family. He has never been threatened nor is he in fear of his life nor his families. So, what is a reason then?

- - - Updated - - -

I tried searching for this info before I posted but came up with nothing.

Write that you're an avid hiker and often are alone in remote areas.

Or you're often downtown late at night in the city and well...you need some money..

IIRC there is a Sticky here in this sub-forum. I think it was started by Scrivener. So you might take a look-see as it had a lot of useful info.

Some towns want a few sentences, some want a novel and some won't issue unrestricted no matter what you write.

There is no magic bullet.

"For all lawful purposes, to buy, sell, use, carry, transfer, own and collect all large capacity pistols,rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting and personal protection."

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

This statement covers your bases.
"For all lawful purposes, to buy, sell, use, carry, transfer, own and collect all large capacity pistols,rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting and personal protection."

this is what you WANT

they're asking the REASON YOU WANT IT

because the MGL specifically state what circumstances it can be issued in (see post #2)

reading comprehension is an integral part of the licensing process in Mass

He is just a average guy that wants to leagally have a firearm to protect himself and his family. He has never been threatened nor is he in fear of his life nor his families

This is faulty reasoning.

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house because you've had a fire, or because you don't want to have one?

Do you wear your seatbelt because you've been in a car accident, or because you want to protect yourself if you are?

Don't talk about what *hasn't* happened to you, it can't help.

Got it guys...thanks.

Based on post #3 of this thread here: Tips On Applying for LTC

I will tell him to go with "On the advice of counsel, to prevent any confusion or liability resulting from a misinterpretation of the terms and conditions of a restricted license"

I appreciate all the input...thanks

Last edited:
Got it guys...thanks.

I will tell him to go with "On the advice of counsel, to prevent any confusion or liability resulting from a misinterpretation of the terms and conditions of a restricted license"

this is the problem with copying your answer from the internet--IT'S NOT TRUE that council advised him of such is it? Lying on the application is the WORST thing you can do.

Got it guys...thanks.

I'm not a big fan of that as a reason. I think he is better off speaking to wanting to carry concealed than to use that.

My GF dropped off her application in Framingham and the LEO told her to put down 'ALP' for the reason otherwise he would be forced to restrict her. She had a letter written up and the clerk processing the application asked how to handle the amendment and that's when he stated how to fill out the form.

Will be interesting to see what she's issued.

Reason for applying? So that I may carry concealed. I mean, I applied for my driver's license so I could drive.

How niave was I? I was like, so I should write down, because it's my right. I mean driving is a privilege, right! The respondent said, "oh God, don't write that if you want to get it."

Experienced this last year - they are looking for a meaningful sentence or two on why you want your LTC. [hmmm]

Lead in with the protection of life...and follow-up with that you are joining a local club for continued sport, practice, training, etc.

Last edited:
I've always advised my students to put "All Lawful Purposes" on their applications, but without using those words, e.g.

• recreational shooting,
  • collecting,
  • competition,
  • hunting,
  • personal protection in the home, and
  • possibly carrying for personal protection in some circumstances.

Ken

I went back and forth on this one considering a variety of language I found in different places. I settled on simply putting All Lawful Purposes on the application and writing a letter. When I went in to apply and do prints it was made pretty clear to me that the letter was unnecessary, so I kept it to myself. Nice to live in a green town.

Wish I could give the OP some advice. I can't imagine why that language is such a problem.

Experienced this last year - they are looking for a meaningful sentence or two on why you want your LTC. [hmmm]

Lead in with the protection of life and property and follow-up with that you are joining a local club for continued sport, practice, training, etc.

So basically all lawful purposes :p.

Back
Top Bottom