"All lawful purposes", automatic denial of ltc renewal

Well, haven't posted in a really long time but I find myself in another quandary regarding ltc renewal in my town. This forum was a great help last time I needed advice, so here we go.

My town will not accept "all lawful purposes" as a reason for a unrestricted ltc renewal. I don't feel I should have to write anything else but I will play their silly game.

I want to write because there have been a series of home invasions during the daytime in our neighborhood and I want to be able to carry a firearm coming into my home incase someone who shouldn't me in my house when I get home is in the house. I have a feeling this won't work.

Any suggestions on what to write?

During my first time application, I wrote, "... for all lawful purposes including self defense, hunting, collection, and target shooting."

My town will not accept all lawful purposes as a reason for issuance. I was told If you write that reason on your application, you will be rejected. They want you to clearly state exactly why you want an unrestricted LTC, even for renewals. On my last renewal in 2011 I simply put, firearms to be used for concealed carry, home defense and for target shooting. I wrote the very same thing on my recent renewal. Whether I get an unrestricted LTC or not. Well, your guess is as good as mine.

Well, haven't posted in a really long time but I find myself in another quandary regarding ltc renewal in my town. This forum was a great help last time I needed advice, so here we go.

My town will not accept "all lawful purposes" as a reason for a unrestricted ltc renewal. I don't feel I should have to write anything else but I will play their silly game.

I want to write because there have been a series of home invasions during the daytime in our neighborhood and I want to be able to carry a firearm coming into my home incase someone who shouldn't me in my house when I get home is in the house. I have a feeling this won't work.

Any suggestions on what to write?

I feel for you- that sucks. I would not write any specifics such as the home invasion scenario. I'd be tempted to write "To more fully enjoy the right to bear arms as written in the United States and Massachusetts Constitutions, and specifically to concealed carry a firearm for all lawful purposes including self defense, hunting, collection, and target shooting."

Sadly even that probably wouldn't work.

My town will not accept all lawful purposes as a reason for issuance. I was told If you write that reason on your application, you will be rejected. They want you to clearly state exactly why you want an unrestricted LTC, even for renewals. On my last renewal in 2011 I simply put, firearms to be used for concealed carry, home defense and for target shooting. I wrote the very same thing on my recent renewal. Whether I get an unrestricted LTC or not. Well, your guess is as good as mine.
So you wrote that and got a unrestricted license?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Just another extra condition and everyone plays along because otherwise you'll be found unsuitable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sparky, it sounds like you live in my town. Same deal with me, no ALP's. I was told if you put in on your application they won't even process it. And to add insult to injury after having a LTC for 40 years they make me get two letters of recommendation, just like a new applicant. WTF is that about ? Unfortunately no two cities or towns are the same in Massachusetts. It's just the luck of the draw.

I wrote almost word for word what Sparky wrote on his application, and I did get an unrestricted LTC, but that was my 7th LTC renewal. So I've had a unrestricted LTC for a long time. But there are no guarantees in Massachusetts. Never take for granted that you will always get an unrestricted LTC.

Last edited:
When I went in for mine I have a nice little sentence composed that I thought would cover everything that they wanted....after reading up on this site and agonizing over the thing....and when I got there the Chiefs secretary said "no good, just write down ALP". So yeah, it is different by town.

Yes, I did get an unrestricted license. My best advice to you is this, if your licensing authority say no ALP, then don't write all lawful purposes on your application, no matter who else tells you to.

This state is so messed up. My town would rather you just put ALP and not complicate things. All work under the same laws, but the stuff they get away with is maddening.

Just another extra condition and everyone plays along because otherwise you'll be found unsuitable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Or because they want to paint us as unhinged nuts with fantasies of blowing mofos away like Ralphie . In a Christmas stoey

I was told the same thing. So I wrote " I want to protect myself, my loved ones, and my things from anyone meaning to do us harm. Anywhere and at any time. In a lawful manner" It worked.

Good Luck!

This CommyWealth of MA does everything they can do to screw with our 2A Rights...

That's all it is, they don't like guns so we shouldn't either according to them...

They dont like ALP then bust out a thesaurus. "Every and all justifications and scenarios permitted by law both now and in the future."

This state is so messed up. My town would rather you just put ALP and not complicate things. All work under the same laws, but the stuff they get away with is maddening.
This ^^^ It's a complete and total FUBAR. With no end in site and only getting more FUBAR !

Looks like they didn't learn from the pimp slap given to Peabody from Comm2A.

Because going after one town at a time over one incident, with a decision that isn't binding on any other town or individual application, is really working. Remove suitability and all this goes away.

I realize removing suitability might be a pipe-dream but a few small changes in the wording could radically improve things. Change suitability so they have to reference a specific incident and that it must have occurred within the last 5 years (in line with other reasons for denial), and the extra requirements lose their teeth. I've recently approached my rep with this, no reply yet, although I don't really expect much help given the anti mentality in my area. If anyone has a more friendly rep/senator and would like information PM me.

For those that say even without suitability an LTC is still may issue consider this. If they deny an LTC but can't provide a legally valid reason it won't stand up in court. And if the LO just says no LTCs then it's a clear 2a violation. Suitability has long reaching tendrils.

I have always put "For legal self defense and all other lawful purposes."

I was asked about it once by an issuing officer. I told him the legal self defense part covers them if I use it illegally and me if I use it legally as, if I ever have to defend my life, I do not want to have a prosecutor saying "you didn't put self defense on your application, so that is not a valid use of your firearm under the conditions of your permit."

Back
Top Bottom