• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

All Around Rifle

I am looking at getting an "all around" North America rifle. I have never hunted, and although I do not rule it out that is not necessarily the main focus of this rifle.

Main need:
Sporting - I spend time each year up in Maine camping/fishing/hiking. Relative light weight, medium caliber are what I look for here. I would hope to not have to face down moose, but I have seen small-med black bear, coyote, and am aware of boar in the area.

Other ways this could ever see use - Home defense in a pinch, SHTF in a pinch, Hunting in a pinch. IE: with all of these things I am sure I will collect a proper tool over time. I am considering this a first purchase and one that could do the job if it had to.

I have done a bit of reading on this, and considering that information I am leaning towards a BLR in .308. Relatively light and short, easy to carry if necessary. Good power as a man-stopper round. Can handle medium+ game, even some larger game with the right loads. Range is a little limited, but with it's size it seems it would be decent in the woods. Lever action is reasonably fast. Reloadable through a detachable box. And it will never be an "evil black rifle".

Seems to me that .308 and .30-06 are the choices in caliber here, and I am looking at .308 because the rifle is slightly shorter and lighter.

I would probably look to have a peep site installed instead of a scope.

Anyone want to talk me out of it and into something else? [smile]

or a 30-30 lever action..

IIRC the 30-30 has taken more deer in the US than any other caliber (obviously, has been around a lot longer than '06 or 308 though)..

I'm already loving the Marlin 336w I traded for a week ago, and can see my choice of doing so because I thought it would fit the bill in all of your points above was well-founded when I thought the trade through.

A .44 Mag lever gun will also do everything you outlined.

I thought about this for a while, because there are some obvious advantages there.

I decided against it because it doesn't seem to have the same level of punch as the .308 and .30-06 based on available ballistics data.

I may get my hands on one of these at some point though [grin]

seanc said:
or a 30-30 lever action..

IIRC the 30-30 has taken more deer in the US than any other caliber (obviously, has been around a lot longer than '06 or 308 though)..

.30-30 I only dismissed because (supposedly) it has more limited range. Nothing against it [grin]

Another upside of 30-06 or 30-30.. You can walk into just about any hicksville general store type place anywhere and pick up ammo..

Some places view .308 is a ugly gun/ assault rifle military bullet and not suitable for hunting...

Another upside of 30-06 or 30-30.. You can walk into just about any hicksville general store type place anywhere and pick up ammo..

Some places view .308 is a ugly gun/ assault rifle military bullet and not suitable for hunting...

Hmmm....interesting. Again, I am going on reading and research, so I can only work with what I am finding. I got the impression that .308 was among the 4-5 most common rifle calibers that could be found, almost as prevalent as .30-06.

AR platform has that Eeeeeevil black rifle thing going on.

Isn't that a feature? [smile]

I'm admittedly new to all this (still awaiting the arrival of my LTC), but when I hear "all-around rifle", the AR is the first thing that comes to mind. How can you beat the modularity and standardization of that platform?

Isn't that a feature? [smile]

I'm admittedly new to all this (still awaiting the arrival of my LTC), but when I hear "all-around rifle", the AR is the first thing that comes to mind. How can you beat the modularity and standardization of that platform?

Dunno. But then I am not against getting one...later. Suggesting AR platform doesn;t talk me out of my proposed choice. I consider it more of a sequel [wink]

an '03 Springfield or (30-06) or an Enfield ( .303 or .308) are nice, generally inexpensive ways to go as well.
You just need to get out there try as much stuff as you can and then decide for yourself what works best for you..

.308 30.06 GREAT choice. If you are a good shot, and a good rifle either one is definetly good out to 500+ Yards. And "most" guys are at best, only good for 300 yard shots. Which in the North East here anything over 100yards is few and far between. I would definetly go with a semi auto type rifle like a BAR or something like that, so if you were in a situation, that you had to drop bigger game you have a fast follow up shot. Now a few other guys brought up the 30 30. Thats a good gun as well, good old american looks, very fast follow up shots, and a inexpensive rifle. Sounds like you want something that has reach out and touch something power though. The new Hornady lever revolution ammo states it makes the 30 30 a true 300yard rifle. I know i plan to buy a 30 30 for my next deer hunt.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=ballistics/popup&product_sku=82730

https://www.hornady.com/shop/Ammo_LEVER_popup.htm

I don't know if your budget will allow for it, but I recommend an M1A. It's chambered in 7.62x51 and I believe it can handle most vanilla commercial .308 loads. You can get a couple 5-round mags for it so you won't get into trouble while hunting with a larger mag, but 20-round mags are also readily available. Reliable as hell. Semiautomatic. Comes with decent adjustable iron sites. If length is an issue they come in the "Scout" size, which is significantly shorter barrel length without losing much in range. Plus it comes with a nice (i.e., not evil) walnut stock.

Check out the Savage Scout...You can get a used one dirt cheap (hell even a new one is cheap). There as accurate as any rifle on the market.

M1 Garand. Not as light as you hoped, but it'll take down bear, boar & Nazis with no problems. $523 shipped from the CMP.

I think your first choice of the BLR in .308 is great. Look no further. Every place that stocks ammo up here will have .308 ammo.

I want to preface this by saying I absolutely love my Remington 7600 chambered in .30-06 that I bought new in 1983. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I believe they still make the same rifle in a shorter carbine.
I've had the opportunity to deer hunt in alot of Maine with alot of different guys so I've seen just about everything show up in deer camp, from 12 ga. pumps, 30-30s, Enfields, BARs, BLRs and a slew of Remington models. I've tried to shoot everything.
It really comes down to how and where you plan to hunt. The Marlin and Winchester lever actions do have the cool factor, but if you think you are going to be in and out of the truck alot, or ride the roads, skip them. They're slow to load and unload. It seems we are always waiting around for the guy in our gang that insists upon his lever action. If you're gonna be walking in alot of tight, brushy areas, the size of these guns can make up for the inconvenience.
Auto loaders are heavy, especially the BAR. If you plan on walking or stalking or still hunting, and don't mind the weight, go for it. I just want to tell you I watched in dismay one morning my buddy's BAR FTF as the nicest buck of the season slipped away. Turned out to be just the smallest amount of dirt in the worst of places.[frown] If you plan on spending your time in a stand, and are careful with maintainance, the speed of the follow up shot may appeal to you.
Bolts and pumps can FTF too, but usually it is operator error- the bolt wasn't closed all the way or the round wasn't cycled properly. With practice those problems can be eliminated. A stick or a little ice gets in the way, it's a quick fix. These things are pretty reliable, and most have the conveniece of a magazine, and a spare magazine.[wink]
Before you buy, really take a look at the terrain you will be hunting. Fields or large cuttings? Forego the 30-30, and IMHO, the .308- another bad memory.[angry] They don't have the distance. I can't speak for the .270, because the only guy I know with one never shoots at anything. We stalk and still hunt, or sit on the edge of cuttings. .280 Rem and the .30-06 seem to be able to handle it all in our camp. The .308 kills deer, but [sad2] it can wound deer too, if even a good shot doesn't know it's limitations.

You don't need a scope, but for distance or low light I would recomend it eventually. In brush, it might be a liabilty.[thinking] One absolute must- get a good sling. Try carrying a rifle and dragging a deer just once, and you'll know why.

Good Luck!!!

Go with a 30-06 bolt action rifle it will kill any north American game with proper shot placement. the bolt action also adds dependability and it is more accurate than a pump,leaver or semi auto. The reason why it is more accurate is because bolt rifles has less vibrations than other types because they have less moving parts.

Last edited:
Go with a 30-06 bolt action rifle it will kill any north American game with proper shot placement. the bolt action also adds dependability and it is more accurate than a pump,leaver or semi auto. The reason why it is more accurate is because bolt rifles has less vibrations than other types because they have less moving parts.

You must have missed the "home defense" part.

ETA: There's really no such thing as an "all purpose rifle". In fact, given the parameters you spelled out - light weight, defense against wild animals, home defense, some hunting, & SHTF - you're better off with an 870 and a couple of extra barrels. Don't get me wrong, a BLR in .308 is a nice rifle, and it sounds like you really want one. Just buy it.

Last edited:
BLR in 308 will certainly do what you need. So would a Savage 99 in 308, if you ran across one.

For what a BLR goes for, I'd be tempted to get a Savage 10 in 308 and an 870.

It really comes down to how and where you plan to hunt. The Marlin and Winchester lever actions do have the cool factor, but if you think you are going to be in and out of the truck alot, or ride the roads, skip them. They're slow to load and unload. It seems we are always waiting around for the guy in our gang that insists upon his lever action. If you're gonna be walking in alot of tight, brushy areas, the size of these guns can make up for the inconvenience.

Hunting is not really the main focus here, but I was curious about this statement. Is this because of the tubular magazine of your friend's lever rifle? If so the BLR works on a detachable box, so that would not be a concern.

Back
Top Bottom