All about safes

I want a safe. I'm not interested in cheap sheet metal cabinets that can be pried open with a screwdriver. I'm talking, big heavy gun safe.

What kind of set-ups do some of you have and what do you like/dislike about them? I want to spend less than $1,000 and want something like a 24 gun with side shelves for storage. I don't have a huge collection right now but plan on adding a lot more in the next few years.

Any help is appreciated.

tumblr_mb3rki3OFO1rh58ldo1_250.gif

A real safe under $1000 is going to be tough. Your best bet is to watch local classified for some business that is getting rid of an old commercial safe.

In terms of new, you'll absolutely be compromising on something at that price point. I guess the real question is "what is secure enough?"

A real safe under $1000 is going to be tough. Your best bet is to watch local classified for some business that is getting rid of an old commercial safe.

In terms of new, you'll absolutely be compromising on something at that price point. I guess the real question is "what is secure enough?"

I just want something that won't be easily accessed by an amateur thief. I don't need some $5,000 uncrackable super safe because chances are i'm not going to be burglarized by a professional safe cracker.

This looks like it might be decent. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...d=21661616&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414433

i'm a big proponent of 'older is better' when it comes to safes...my older 22 gun Cabela's safe has a VERY thick steel door, probably 3/8" steel. the old style 'dial' type combo locks can be finnicky and take some getting used to, but I never have to get in my safe in a hurry, anyway.

i think you'd have good luck on craigslist (as i did and got my safe for $800).

I just want something that won't be easily accessed by an amateur thief. I don't need some $5,000 uncrackable super safe because chances are i'm not going to be burglarized by a professional safe cracker.

This looks like it might be decent. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...d=21661616&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414433

I've got the F&S 32+6 gun safe from Dick's. Got it in September when it was marked down to $699 and no sales tax of course. It's not a real full blown safe (500 lbs or so) but its good enough for me and I think the average burglar won't be able to get into it without a crapton of tools and a lot of time. Here's a link to the thread about that safe I got:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-safe-into-my-basement?highlight=field+stream

If you're considering the 24 gun safe, definitely pay the extra ~$150 to get the 32 gun safe. My safe is filling up quickly since I started that ^thread in September.

Last edited:
I just watched a televsion segment on safes, where Liberty safe put their 90 minute safe up against a competitor's inexpensive safe, in a furnace, to simulate the enviroment of a structure fire. I'll tell you hwut, I wouldn't put any valuable documents in there without any further protection. The inside was scorched fairly well in some areas. Made me feel better about not going full-boat on a mega dollar safe.

There are a million threads on safes. Bottom line is that you cannot have it both ways. $1000 still only gets you a residential security container, not a real safe. Best bet is to go used as others above have stated. To start getting into real safe land if buying new, you need to be spending several thousand. There's a guy in NH that sells used old bank safes. That's the route I would recommend. They can be converted quite easily using fiber board from home depot and felt from JoAnn Fabrics or other craft stores.

I just watched a televsion segment on safes, where Liberty safe put their 90 minute safe up against a competitor's inexpensive safe, in a furnace, to simulate the enviroment of a structure fire. I'll tell you hwut, I wouldn't put any valuable documents in there without any further protection. The inside was scorched fairly well in some areas. Made me feel better about not going full-boat on a mega dollar safe.

Except that Liberty is hardly a high end safe. I know because I have one. So the above is not a particularly meaningful comparison b/c they were basically comparing two RSCs. When you get into "real" safe territory, then yes they will withstand fire to the extent of their rating. Again, old TL rated bank safes and newer higher end safes will offer good protection.

The reality is that most folks cannot afford (or don't want to spend the money) buying new. Much better to get an old used bank safe and convert it. Exception is if you have an expensive collection that is not easily replaceable in MA. Insurance is a cheap alternative as well, but some firearms are not easily replaceable in MA so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
I just bought a Blue Dot safe in your price range. Search eBay for Second Amendment safes (Blue Dot's line for gun safes), prices are much better than they show on their website; free shipping as well. If your house is alarmed and the safe is properly bolted down a thief will have a tough task given they have maybe 2 minutes to do work. Fire safety and cost were my highest priorities and Blue Dot is rated for 60 minutes at 1700, I was sold. Does the job for me.

An old "job" box works for me. Sure not pretty but you would have to be motivated and at least have a sawzall handy. Also would have to get by alarm and bring a milk bone for the dog.

Like I said I just want something that's not going to be easily accessed by some punk kid. I work in law enforcement, have a 90lb dog that looks mean as hell, and deadbolts/padlocks on everything.

We've had a few break-ins in my neighborhood and the thieves seem to not bother with safes or anything that will be any work for them. They are basically smash and grab type jobs. So a sub-$1000 "safe" that would require some time and effort to get into wouldn't be a priority for them.

If they are pro's, even a real expensive safe wont stop them. I've seen burglaries where a guy had a safe bolted to his basement floor. He came home to a hole in the side of his house and tire tracks. They hooked a diesel truck to the safe with chains and pulled it right through the side of the house. If they really want it, they'll get it.

For inexpensive safes Tractor supply has a good selection and regularly has sales. Forget about rated capacity especially if you have any scoped long guns. I will tell you I thought the safe I bought was plenty big enough to hold me forever. I now need another one. If you are just trying to keep a crack head burglar out they will do the trick. Nothing will stop the pro who is determined.
Placement is also crucial. I it is difficult to access the sides it makes it a lot tougher to cut or pry it open. I also have a small fire rated safe for documents and stuff like that.

I've got a Canon 24 gun safe. It was less than $600 at Tr@ctor Supply. It was light enough for me to move & install by myself. It fits 12 long guns, with a bit of modification for shorter ARs. Plenty of room up top for pistols, and comes with pockets on the door. It's anchored well, and would take quite a bit of doing to extract it from its resting place. I don't have anything in it that cannot be replaced. I do plan on getting a sucker safe though (cheap Stack-On), to place in plain sight to act as a decoy.

As Chet says above this, forget the capacity ratings on the safes, they lie.

I was going to get the F&S 24 you mentioned but after seeing it I opted against. Look at that one versus the Winchester 24 from Tractor Supply and the F&S definitely has less space. I opted for the the Winchester, it's a great safe at the price point. TSC has very good options with the Winchester and Cannon lines. They go on sale from time to time, check the comments on those two lines here. There were a few from black friday.

I concur with the Tractor Supply recommendation. I purchased this on Black Friday for $699.

spacer.gif

Granted, it is not as heavy duty as some advise you to get but it does what I need it to do. I added lights and a Goldenrod and I am very happy with what I have.

I concur with the Tractor Supply recommendation. I purchased this on Black Friday for $699.

item_174872_560.jpg

Granted, it is not as heavy duty as some advise you to get but it does what I need it to do. I added lights and a Goldenrod and I am very happy with what I have.

As Chet says above this, forget the capacity ratings on the safes, they lie.

I was going to get the F&S 24 you mentioned but after seeing it I opted against. Look at that one versus the Winchester 24 from Tractor Supply and the F&S definitely has less space. I opted for the the Winchester, it's a great safe at the price point. TSC has very good options with the Winchester and Cannon lines. They go on sale from time to time, check the comments on those two lines here. There were a few from black friday.
The Winchester mentioned is the one I have. I like the door hanger that came with it. Good for storing pistols and supplies.

I got the 24 gun safe from dicks couple years back happy with it but slowly becoming too small. 7 long guns is about max for me on one side and 6 or 7 handguns along with ammo im pretty much maxed out. Although a seperate safe for ammo would help and maybe some rearranging but unless your only putting handguns on racks in the safes I feel like they dont hold what listed for in an organized manner

I went with a Rhino which was in the neighborhood of 2K. You have to think of this as an investment that will protect other investments. Rhino's also come with lifetime warranty. Remember all safes can be penetrated with time and willingness of the perpetrator.

It is very modular, and has door pockets which are a must.

The Winchester mentioned is the one I have. I like the door hanger that came with it. Good for storing pistols and supplies.

I was set on buying F&S 24 until I looked at it in person at Dicks. I was underwhelmed. I liked the Winchester much better, I think you get much more space vs. the F&S, you get the door hanger which is a nice feature and there are many more locking bolts. I don't know how much more time it would take to pry open the door with the extra locking bolts but whatever it is, it's more than one with less. The cannon was similar to the winchester just bigger. I liked both and you get a pretty good safe at a great price.

If you bolt the cannon or winchester or similar to the floor, it's going to take quite a while to pry it open. The video's you see of prying open one of this type of safe, they lay it on the floor and use their body weight and long landscape bars. If the safe is bolted down, a thief would have a very difficult time getting the leverage to pry. They can do it but it will be giant PITA and take some time.

Thanks for all the responses! They opened up a Tractor Supply nearby not too long ago. I'll go check out the Canons and Winchesters tomorrow after work.

Ask yourself this. Would you put more $$ in that safe then you will pay for it?? Fire ratings are something to take into account also. Will you ever have people working in your house that would ever see this safe?? That alone could make you a target. You never know. Safes are an investment not just something you try to get on the cheap. I have a liberty franklin.

Back
Top Bottom