• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Aligning pistol sights SR40c

I have and SR40c and I believe the sights are out of alignment. I understand how to make the corrections but I'm still a new shooter so thoughts it may just be a trigger control issue that I need to work on. I asked my brother my brother to try and has been shooting for a few years and seems to have the same issue with my 40 but not with his. Is there any place that can align sights for me and how much to have it done. I did recently become a member at the Braintree rifle and pistol club bit don't know anyone yet so really not ready to ask anyone for help yet. Thoughts

90% of the time it is you, not the sights, especially if you are a new shooter.
Which way are you off ?
Shoot from 15 feet. If you have consistent close groupings of 2 inches or less, but off your target, your sights are off.
If it is spread apart more than that, it may be you.

I 2nd what Robert said, except I think that 99% of the time its the shooter. and most of the time for us righty's, its always down and to the left...

I would bench rest the pistol or brace with sand bags to confirm, shoot really slow and be consistent as possible (trigger pull, ammo etc). I would test from various distances from 5-15 feet and shoot 3-4 shots per grouping.

if you need a sight pusher tool or adjuster, I have a really good one and your welcome to borrow it.

Good luck!

Post a pic of the target after slow fire bench rested.

If the 40c uses the same sights as the 9c, I found that the center section of the rear sight (the adjustable piece) had space on both sides to the fixed piece. This gave extra vertical spaces around the center notch. Older eyes basically said "WTF you want me to look at?"

I wound up replace the stock sights with XS sights: rear is shallow V with a single vertical line, front is a big dot. Easy alignment, make a lollipop out of them, put the dot over your target. Bullseye sights? No, but very good for older eyes and as more defense minded uses.

Sig academy helped to get my shots on target. It was me, instead of left, or low and left, I'm on target, most of the time :)

Lemme guess, you're missing low left?

If you haven't taken out the mag safety, do that. Then dry fire the hell out of it. This helped me immensely.

i am also a fairly new shooter, (3 years). i have the sr 9c, and also thought the sights were off. it was me that was off. i also have old eyes, as mremski said. i will consider the same upgrades he did. reading glasses & target shooting don't mix well, as with them you can see the sights, but not the target

I've had students pull guns out of cases and swear the sights are off... I've yet to see a case where they were. Get a trusted shooter to run a couple mags through it from a rest. What size are your groups at 7 yards? Is there even a group? If it's the gun, you should have a small ragged hole in the wrong place. Anything else it's probably you to a degree.

I still think my sights are off. Thoughts?
14316517510831449042302.jpg

Last edited:
I would definitely have somebody shoot the gun, and you shoot theirs if possible. With the nice line of vertical stringing, I'd guess you're dipping the muzzle with a "flinch". That being said, I wouldn't rule out a sight issue, as most shooter issues I've seen aren't as consistent as that in vertical alignment. Can you shoot it from a rest?

That's about 33'. The indoor range I was at that's the closest allowed distance.

As far as letting another shooter try I really don't know anyone who shoots other than my brother and he's only been shooting for a couple years but doesn't shoot much. He's the one who got me started on the sights being out but I'll just have to ask someone at the range. I'll check if the range has a rest later today and give that a try also.

Thanks guys

33', so 10 yards?

The vertical string, I agree with the other post as this is some kind of flinch. If you can't get another shooter, get a cameraman. I video taped myself shooting the other day. It's amazing what you see instead of hearing someone tell you.

I do agree that the vertical is a flinch but the cluster way left I feel is the sights. But again I'll see if I can get another shooter and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom