Alien Gear Shoulder holster and wearing a tux

At Lodge I will need to start wearing a tuxedo and I was wondering if anyone here has worn a shoulder holster under a tux. My main concern is how to secure the firearm from moving around too much. The videos show a clip to a belt to keep the holster stable. The tuxes don't have a belt, hence my dilemma.

This is the holster I ordered.

TIA!

I don't know Moose. When I went through the Chairs the Tux coat was worn during the ceremonies and Lodge Business only.
After that we peeled our coats off and relaxed. Socialization is almost as important as Charity.

Do you intend to carry in the open, or always wear the black jacket...?

Always had my Seecamp LWS-32 in a Don "Hiram" Hume holster though...

1606516815921.png

It pairs well with a Signet...

1606517246448.png

Last edited:
Also, Cummerbunds allow you to wear a thin black belt underneath it and really finish off the look... If your Lodge allows them...

1606517149621.png

One last point; When it comes time to Raise a Worthy Brother... That thing would be unwieldy IMO...

Galco classic light under a suit jacket with a single-stack 9mm hides quite well and you can secure it to the belt if you really need to.

You should be just fine as long as your jacket is big enough. The proper fit for a shoulder rig is actually to have the pistol as close to the armpit as you can comfortably get it.
I did it wrong for years until I came across this video when I bought a new rig for 1911's.
I assumed that you were supposed to use the tie downs ( that I spent extra for) and always attach the rig to your belt. But when standing the gun could flop around and when sitting or reaching it was awful and felt like you were trying your crush your balls on purpose.
With the gun snug up to your arm pit it stays very secure no matter how you move, run, jump etc. It is more comfortable and conceals better too. Lose the clips/ tiedowns.

Jump to about 4:30 to see what I mean.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgZj7bvovM&t=303s

Last edited:
A P938 in an Alien Gear ankle holster works nicely. The AG ankle setup is remarkably comfortable when a belt mounted option isn't doable.

I own a pile of Galco shoulder rigs that have all worked well, although AIWB has completely replaced my use of shoulder carry. with a shoulder holster it’s just not worth skimping on cost. As @NHKevin suggests something top notch like a Mitch Rosen is pricy but soooo worth it (Assuming one is committed to that specific pistol and shoulder carry).

Overall shoulder carry seems better than most admit. A current trend is to shit all over shoulder carry Which is straight dumb. To me the biggest problem Is having to wear a jacket. If colder Weather it’s no prob. In summer I have done shoulder carry w a Hawaiian or plaid short sleeve shirt as cover garment and you can print all you want the eye simply cannot see the firearm. I don’t like the fact that I cannot draw weak hand. again For me AIWB w JM custom holsters has replaced all my previous carry methods But there’s a reason I haven’t sold my shoulder rigs. If you are wearing a tux it seems like a good option and should Be stupid comfortable Assuming the rig is well balanced. In terms of concealment the human eye does not pay attention to your jacket or Chest area. so long as I keep my hands away from the rig nobody would see shit even if it’s technically visible.

A P938 in an Alien Gear ankle holster works nicely. The AG ankle setup is remarkably comfortable when a belt mounted option isn't doable.

impressive to get an ankle holster to work well in the shoulder

At Lodge I will need to start wearing a tuxedo and I was wondering if anyone here has worn a shoulder holster under a tux. My main concern is how to secure the firearm from moving around too much. The videos show a clip to a belt to keep the holster stable. The tuxes don't have a belt, hence my dilemma.

TIA!
i have worn a shoulder holster under many a suit, a good one like a miami classic does not move that much

All I can add is that I didn't want to spend $200+ to try out a shoulder holster so I went with a cheap $20 one from Amazon - total waste of money, don't even bother. I doubt that it's at all representative of what it's like to carry using a quality rig.

All I can add is that I didn't want to spend $200+ to try out a shoulder holster so I went with a cheap $20 one from Amazon - total waste of money, don't even bother. I doubt that it's at all representative of what it's like to carry using a quality rig.

for whatever reason, Grabagun has excellent prices on galco shoulder holsters. just now i checked the jackass rig for the beretta 92. $212 at amazon. $167 at most places including OP. $141 at grabagun with their quote. the galco jackass is my favorite because it cants the pistol and mags down a bit which makes it conceal and draw better, although i'm sure if i tried something top end like mitch rosen it would probably make the galco look like crap! ugh you jerks now have me thinking about shoulder carry again!

Overall shoulder carry seems better than most admit. A current trend is to shit all over shoulder carry Which is straight dumb. To me the biggest problem Is having to wear a jacket. If colder Weather it’s no prob. In summer I have done shoulder carry w a Hawaiian or plaid short sleeve shirt as cover garment and you can print all you want the eye simply cannot see the firearm. I don’t like the fact that I cannot draw weak hand. again For me AIWB w JM custom holsters has replaced all my previous carry methods But there’s a reason I haven’t sold my shoulder rigs. If you are wearing a tux it seems like a good option and should Be stupid comfortable Assuming the rig is well balanced. In terms of concealment the human eye does not pay attention to your jacket or Chest area. so long as I keep my hands away from the rig nobody would see shit even if it’s technically visible.

This x100. I really like carrying a big gun and shoulder holsters are a great way to do so. I also love that it totes two spare magazines, which really helps to balance the weight nicely. Another cool thing is that one holster often works for multiple guns. Bought it for a 226 and it works perfectly for 226-220-229. Buy it for a 1911 government, and it works great for Officer or Commander size too. If you are buying it for an M&P I bet others will fit perfectly.
They are totally modular so it's easy to buy just holster and mag carriers and swap them out with just a couple of snaps.

I have also worn them in hot weather with a short sleeve button down over a t-shirt. Conceals very well. Pair of cargo shorts with another magazine or two and you have enough ammo for anything short of invading Poland. Love my shoulder rigs.
Yeah my EDC is a 365 IWB, but there is something to be said about a 5"- 1911 that I know I can shoot a cloverleaf at 7 yards with 45acp hollow points. Good medicine.

I don't know Moose. When I went through the Chairs the Tux coat was worn during the ceremonies and Lodge Business only.
After that we peeled our coats off and relaxed. Socialization is almost as important as Charity.

Do you intend to carry in the open, or always wear the black jacket...?

Always had my Seecamp LWS-32 in a Don "Hiram" Hume holster though...

View attachment 416196

It pairs well with a Signet...

View attachment 416198
Brother, I have IWB and OWB, depending on the use case. I'd say about half the officers carry in Lodge, nice thing about NH...

I would think a belly band in a cummerbund would be the easiest way to go. I carried a 92FS in a shoulder rig for a short period of time and I would’ve much preferred a true IWB holster.

TIA!

IMHO this AG holster looks like possibly the worst holster to try and conceal under a formal jacket, it has so many high points and bulk that will print like a MF everywhere. The big plastic buckles all over the straps, the oversized holster itself will be huge under your arm.

As for the belt clip attachment, I’d say it’s a huge advantage on any vertical hanging SH, otherwise the whole holster will move up with the gun when you try to draw.

For horizontal SH’s, you can skip over the belt clip attachment and use what’s called a back strap, an added attachment that goes from the holster itself, across the center of your back, and attached again to the mag pouch under the other side. This gives it some tension and aids in the draw because it opposes itself.

I have a shoulder holster that actually conceals fairly well, at least in that realm, which is difficult without buying oversized jackets and then always having to wear said jacket. The holster itself is very thin kydex with minimal bulk points and/or buckles to stick out, same with the double mag holder/kydex, I then attached a very nice, very thin leather harness from Galco and it works perfectly on a horizontal hang.

Most times I don’t use the back strap anymore either, not really needed and less sensory warning when people at events like this/yours always come up and put their hands on your back before saying hello or patting you on the back before making discussion or whatever. If that makes sense.

I prefer these in lieu of a shoulder rig myself because they keep the gun super close to the body and no printing with a 9MM Shield and flush-fit 7-round magazine.

Essentially the same principle, except under the shirt. Any place I’ve needed to wear a suit/tux I’ve felt comfortable enough that I wouldn’t need my gun but wanted it on me anyways. So I traded the ability to quickly draw and present because I didn’t expect to need it.
0A8FDEE7-B38C-4E6C-A238-37B6597F836C.jpeg

I prefer these in lieu of a shoulder rig myself because they keep the gun super close to the body and no printing with a 9MM Shield and flush-fit 7-round magazine.

Essentially the same principle, except under the shirt. Any place I’ve needed to wear a suit/tux I’ve felt comfortable enough that I wouldn’t need my gun but wanted it on me anyways. So I traded the ability to quickly draw and present because I didn’t expect to need it.
View attachment 416526

I’ve never seen those and had always wondered why something like that didn’t exist. The old saying is true - “if it’s a good idea, 5 people have thought of it; if it’s a great idea, 10 people have.”

I just ordered two for shits and giggles.

Went to lunch with my daughter, got a Christmas tree, went to Lowes, smoke shop for a cigar, and was on the tractor picking up the last few leaves.
Full size 1911 - 2 spare mags. Meh.

1606597146892.png

1606597279096.png

There's something to be said for a .380 pocket rocket or an ankle holster when dressing formal.

Yep a $200 LCP, in the pocket holster it ships with, is more discreet than my wallet. All dressed up I'd rather carry 2 of those versus a single compact.

Back
Top Bottom