Alford, MA: ok to shoot on your own property?

daveshrews

NES Member
Does anyone happen to know if the town of Alford, MA has any bylaws against or issues with shooting on your own property? My friend’s family is currently in the process of purchasing about 18 acres there. I’ve searched the only bylaws I can find online and there appears to be nothing about it so it seems like it would be fine, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Hopefully it’s not one of those Ma towns that has no PD and is patrolled by MSP. Those Nazis would take your door down just out of boredom out there.
Whoops!

Alford hires the State Police Lee Barracks to do shift work. There is no set schedule, but in the summer there are approximately 3-4 shifts per week and in the winter there are approximately 2-3 shifts per week.

eta: Perhaps calling MSP isn't the smartest thing to do.

Were there some state regs about distance from a road and from houses, etc?
Or would that be a county or town reg?
It's been years since I lived there, but now I don't worry.

I did try to read your bylaws. Calling the police before you shoot might be a good idea but it might also not be.

You also might have cool neighbors. You also might have a couple really shitty neighbors.

Do it in a safe and responsible way. You’ll be fine.

Or

Set off a couple pounds of tannerite and check your police response time.

Were there some state regs about distance from a road and from houses, etc?
Or would that be a county or town reg?
It's been years since I lived there, but now I don't worry.
Those apply to hunting. There is an exemption from setback rules if you're on a range. There is no statutory definition of "Range."

The provisions of this section shall not apply to (a) the lawful defense of life and property; (b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties; (c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof; (d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established

tell 'em old greencobra over on nes said it was ok!
Start shooting and make sure that the police tell you when you’re range was “established”..

People been shoot on my land for 300 years.. I drive around with copies of police reports.

Play nice at first and then do whatever the f*** you want

Established means there are specific improvements on the land to make it into a range
Defined backstop
Target stands
Clear firing lane

You can't just staple a paper plate to a tree and call it an outdoor range.

Back
Top Bottom