• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AKX9 - US Made 9mm AK Carbine and Pistol

beaker

NES Member
Ever wanted an AK variant of a 9mm smg/carbine? Uses Colt mags, and looks like a sweet gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that they have a fixed stock carbine version, but I'm wondering about that barrel extension for neutering purposes.

I see that they have a fixed stock carbine version, but I'm wondering about that barrel extension for neutering purposes.

The barrel extension is blind pinned. It has to be "permanently" attached or it would be an SBR. So if it is good enough for NFA purposes I would assume it is good enough for AWB purposes.

The barrel extension is blind pinned. It has to be "permanently" attached or it would be an SBR. So if it is good enough for NFA purposes I would assume it is good enough for AWB purposes.

But is the integral muzzle device on the end of it a "brake/comp" or "flash suppressor"?

But is the integral muzzle device on the end of it a "brake/comp" or "flash suppressor"?

From a sales site:

"The AKX-9 barrel is 11.125 inches long with a 1:10 twist & sports a 1/2 x 28 threaded for ease of adding a suppressor or mounting other common 1/2×28 accessories such as flash suppressors. All models of the AKX-9 are easily convertible to being an SBR once a Form 1 is obtained."

Tasty ... Me likey

R

It's neither. It's just a tube.

The issue is going to be magazines. You would either need to find pre-ban Colt 9mm magazines (expensive) or 10 round magazines.

Last edited:
Im interested as i was looking at making one but this saves energy..

I wonder on the pistol version could it be compliant by removing the handguards and the gas tube ...weight wise

The issue is going to be magazines. You would either need to find pre-ban Colt 9mm magazines (expensive) or 10 round magazines.

Wrong. Preban Uzi mags can be easily modified with a dremel to fit. You lose bolt hold open functionality but that's it.

Oh and the kicker? Uzi mags are $10 for 32 round mags.

Looks like I was wrong. I thought it was a solid tube, but it does have slots in it:

akx9riflepoly.jpg

So that does raise the question of brake/comp vs flash suppressor.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue IMO is price. Pretty sure I heard these were around $1500.

$1589 for the fixed stock version, plus shipping and FFL transfer and tax. Ouch.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-...x-9r-black-poly-fixed-stock-rifle-detail.html

Looks like I was wrong. I thought it was a solid tube, but it does have slots in it:

akx9riflepoly.jpg

So that does raise the question of brake/comp vs flash suppressor.

- - - Updated - - -

$1589 for the fixed stock version, plus shipping and FFL transfer and tax. Ouch.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-...x-9r-black-poly-fixed-stock-rifle-detail.html

That would be kind of neat if it were $500 less and you could get parts for it. You know, like an SBR length barrel and folding stock. I wonder if standard AK accessories would fit or if they changed the trunnions?

For that price I would just have Ben make me three of those.

The issue IMO is price. Pretty sure I heard these were around $1500.

Yup it isn't cheap. Less than an MP5 clone though and that is the competition. This would be a good choice for free staters for an SBR suppressor host. I think it could easily be made MA compliant.

If you say so. Those POF clones are licensed by HK & made on HK machines. DJ Getz clones do go for $2k but I'm not convinced they are $6-700 better. That is a discussion for another thread though.

I'm curious to see more reviews of the the 9mm AK.

To be honest they lost me at "tight tolerances".

AKs are meant to be reliable when abused, not run for a few cases of ammo and disassembled to show fake gas tubes. The more I look at it the more I think it's a gimmicky POS that costs too much.

Last edited:
That would be kind of neat if it were $500 less and you could get parts for it. You know, like an SBR length barrel and folding stock.

1) The barrel already is SBR length. You just need to drill out the blind pin and remove the barrel extension.

2) They sell a model with a folding stock.

akx9riflesf-12.jpg

1) The barrel already is SBR length. You just need to drill out the blind pin and remove the barrel extension.

2) They sell a model with a folding stock.

akx9riflesf-12.jpg

Oh. Well then. Ummm... I give up.

Best guess is the tight tolerances are bc they simply adapted the Colt 9mm blowback bolt and system to the AK receiver shape. It's only an AK on the outside. This the Metalform magazines.

A pistol caliber AK has always been on my "someday I'm going to build one" list. Unlike the one shown here, I always figured for 9mm I would try to use curved H&K 94 mags, I think AK's look weird with a straight stick like that. Other thoughts I've had include 7.62x25 with ppsh mags, or a bizon clone if I could make a calico mag work. Just my .02, fwiw I wouldn't spend what they're asking for one of these.

Had to bump the thread, as I just found out about these today. I want. I love the red wood furniture version. Just can't budget something like this right now.

Also, as far as the brake/flash hider question, do you guys really think anyone, especially the moonbats who write these laws, can really tell the difference? Besides, I'd just call it a ported barrel and call it a day. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom