AKs in MA :(

Mass-diver

NES Member
So, with my birthday approaching I'm starting to look for a new firearms to spend some of my grad school loan money on :)

I'd love to add an AK to the collection, but it's my perception that here in MA that choice is either

1.) Buy a $400 WASR - I had one and while it never once malfunctioned, I was really disappointed in the over all quality the rifle (canted sights, horribly cut mag well, some rust on the internals, terrible stock, etc).

2.) Buy a $1700 polytech - I'm sure these are nice rifles, but I just don't like the idea of spending that much $ on a rifle whose cost is mainly a result of the import ban :(

Is there anything else out there in $700-800 range? Do any of the US manufacturers make MA compliant model? It seems like, here in MA, ban compliant ARs are everywhere and even preban model can be found pretty easily - but it's clearly not the same with AKs :(

Get a new Saiga-762 and do the AK grip/stock conversion yourself (or pay to get it done for more). It would be a nice project as well and put you in your price range after accessories.

Another option to consider is the Arsenal SLR-95. I believe they were all imported during the original AWB, so, unless modified, they should be MA compliant. I've had one for several years and have no complaints.

You should be able to find examples in the 700-800 range, but keep in mind that rifles at lower price point may have the original thumb-hole stock so you'd have to switch that out for a pistol grip.

1. Buy a $800 Arsenal converted Saiga and send it to ZHA for them to neuter.
2. Buy a $350 Saiga and convert it yourself (SKS Ray has a good tutorial on how to do this... it's not as tough as you think. Here's the thread)
3. Buy a $350 Saiga and pay someone to convert it.
4. Buy a parts kit (I can PM you info on where to look) and build it. I have a post on what is involved when you have an arbor press and drill press available right here. I can't stress to you how much fun this is. You have total control over how "good" your rifle is going to be and it's quite a satisfying feeling.

Currently I'm assembling a bulgarian AK74 with just a bench vise, big f'n hammer, bolt cutters (modded to squeeze rivets), and a few random tools. I haven't sunken yet and bought a $60 jig for squeezing trigger guard rivets (yet) with a wrench and a bench vise, but we'll see if I fold or not. If I'm successful (or if I fail partially) I'll post a guide on how to make this thing. My goal is to make it as authentic as possible (paint, parts, optics, etc).

There are tons of options for you out there. You can look for ban compliant mak90's, SAR-1's, maadi's, etc. on gunbroker or around here. There are tons of neutered AK's that have the threads turned off of them (or muzzle brakes tack welded on the barrel) and the bayonet lugs ground off (or tack welded).

I totally agree with your polytech sentiment. But remember, you do have other options. Plenty of them. You can always buy an un-compliant model and have a FFL here neuter the crap out of it and you'll have a MA AK. You just have to be willing to pay a little for it. You can always just fix up a WASR, too. Every one of the problems you listed is totally fixable in very simple ways.

Last edited:
for example

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181273085

$600 max MA compliant AK. And you even get to brag to your friends on how "authentic" it is since it's a Maadi and it's built by towel heads with russian tooling, blah blah blah *puke.*

It's still a great rifle [wink] No one is bidding on it so snatch it for cheap if you can.

Like I said, there are tons of MA compliant AK's that aren't built by century arms or have single stack magazine wells. I've seen plenty of bulgarian, egyptian, romanian, and chinese ban compliant AK's. There are even milled receiver bulgarians out there that came neutered directly from Arsenal. But they're old and usually fetch the retarded $1k+ for an AK.

Last edited:
Get a Norinco MAK-90 for $600 or less and swap out a few parts and enjoy.

-Mike

There are even milled receiver bulgarians out there that came neutered directly from Arsenal. But they're old and usually fetch the retarded $1k+ for an AK.

That would be the SLR-95

You can find examples well under a 1K.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181570669

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181380622

I bought mine in Sept 08 for $500 at a shop in RI. Of course the above are not the norm and most examples that have been converted to a pistol grip probably will run in the 850-950 range.

Another vote for the Norinco MAK-90. I had one and it was a great rifle with a great trigger. I could get that thing firing so fast I'd turn heads at the range from folks thinking it was a full auto. Not that it had a hair trigger at all, just that it had the perfect pull and reset and it didn't "slap" like some Romanian AK's I've shot.

ETA: The only reason I got rid of it was to trade for a WWII P08. :)

Another vote for the converted Saiga route. I just finished a 308 and am thrilled like the way it came out. Expect to spend some time for for good results and not the 2 hours everyone seems to claim. I think a good conversion where you do not skip details will take about 7-10hrs. Details being polish of trigger and moving parts etc. Those who have shot mine seem to like it as well.

I hear the 7.62 can be a little more tricky as the holes are not in place for the pistol grip etc and need to be added. Most seem to be able to complete the task with a Dremel tool. I have however seen pics of some really botched up DIY conversions you will have to assess your skill level.

If you go the Saiga route and want, I am getting ready to do a 7.62 and if you want to head come to the Cape Ann area we could muddle through it together.

You might want to check out Arizona Response Systems. This was $850. He builds a very nice gun, and it is a great way to support Arizona!

IMG_2020.jpg

So, with my birthday approaching I'm starting to look for a new firearms to spend some of my grad school loan money on :)

I'd love to add an AK to the collection, but it's my perception that here in MA that choice is either

1.) Buy a $400 WASR - I had one and while it never once malfunctioned, I was really disappointed in the over all quality the rifle (canted sights, horribly cut mag well, some rust on the internals, terrible stock, etc).

2.) Buy a $1700 polytech - I'm sure these are nice rifles, but I just don't like the idea of spending that much $ on a rifle whose cost is mainly a result of the import ban :(

Is there anything else out there in $700-800 range? Do any of the US manufacturers make MA compliant model? It seems like, here in MA, ban compliant ARs are everywhere and even preban model can be found pretty easily - but it's clearly not the same with AKs :(

I'm not trying to sound "douchy"...but where the heck do you guys look to buy guns??? You got the price of the WASR right but $1700 for a polytech??? Sure some people might ask that much, but they have been asking that much for the same gun for the past 15 years...spend a little time poking around NIB preban import AK's can still be found for 1200 and below, used imports seem to hover in the 800-1000 range and nice MAK-90's in the high 500's...

PS. I am also not discrediting the bulk of other posters suggestions, just saying look elsewhere if you really think $1700 is going rate for run of the mill preban AK's...

Back
Top Bottom