• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ak47

Be Corbs

NES Member
Has anyone ever done a reweld on a Russian type 1,2 or 3 Ak47 in Massachusetts? Is it legal to do? Buy a parts kit off gunbroker have parts shipped to your house no FFL required the. Send parts kit to a gunsmith that specializes in rewelds and assemble. Then ship back to FFL. Does it fall under new Ak47 receiver or does it fall under preban specifically if I’m looking at a Russian 1953 type 2 AK47 parts kit

Has anyone ever done a reweld on a Russian type 1,2 or 3 Ak47 in Massachusetts? Is it legal to do? Buy a parts kit off gunbroker have parts shipped to your house no FFL required the. Send parts kit to a gunsmith that specializes in rewelds and assemble. Then ship back to FFL. Does it fall under new Ak47 receiver or does it fall under preban specifically if I’m looking at a Russian 1953 type 2 AK47 parts kit

Have people done it? Yes. Legal? LOL.

My understanding is that when you reweld, you are creating a new receiver per ATF. If that is the case, it is no longer preban.

So, potentially a good project in a free state, but not MA.

I imagine that would cost a whole lot more than just buying a pre ban or building a post ban with new parts. Do you want the ratty old worn out AK look that you would then have to make AWB compliant (assuming you are in MA)?

I imagine that would cost a whole lot more than just buying a pre ban or building a post ban with new parts. Do you want the ratty old worn out AK look that you would then have to make AWB compliant (assuming you are in MA)?
I do like the old ratty Ak47 look and i would like a real type 2 Russian ak. Are there Russian pre bans out there (not Chinese or Bulgarian)

Closest you’ll probably ever get is a Gordon Tech SLR-100H. I got one of the only ones in Massachusetts and took it with me when I moved to America last year.

I’m sure there are others there, but might take a while to find one! I got lucky.

It would not be "pre-ban", which mean MA AWB applies so you can't ship it into MA nor FFL transfer it here unless it's a stripped frame which you can't legally build/register even if you could.

Most builders who have done those are not in MA. Also depends if you got original barrel or not. Type 2 kits are very pricey, much more than a box of 9mm these days. There are Type IIs in this state, but if you have to ask the price you are probably too poor.

Type II AK47 is like a pretty woman, best to fully enjoy at home without other eyes looking.

If you're an 07/SOT you can do this in MA easily and legally. If not, nobody is going to do it for you, either, because it's still in machine gun territory. The way peons normally would do this
is get an AKM semi receiver or make one out of a flat and re-use the parts from the kit that way.

There is also an AWB compliance issue for the peon method, as well, but the issues there are obvious and well doced, no bayo lug, no flash hider, muzzle device must be pinned or threads roundeded off, blah blah blah, etc, etc, so on.

It would not be "pre-ban", which mean MA AWB applies so you can't ship it into MA nor FFL transfer it here unless it's a stripped frame which you can't legally build/register even if you could.

Most builders who have done those are not in MA. Also depends if you got original barrel or not. Type 2 kits are very pricey, much more than a box of 9mm these days. There are Type IIs in this state, but if you have to ask the price you are probably too poor.

Type II AK47 is like a pretty woman, best to fully enjoy at home without other eyes looking.
I know they are very pricey about $4k just for the kit. Then anywhere from $1-2k to reweld and make look original. So your looking at around $6k but they are rare and worth a lot. I’ve been told by reliable sources that type 2 have been going between $8-10k

I know they are very pricey about $4k just for the kit. Then anywhere from $1-2k to reweld and make look original. So your looking at around $6k but they are rare and worth a lot. I’ve been told by reliable sources that type 2 have been going between $8-10k

There is another forum where they mention specific builders who do this (for people in free states, not MA). 1k is probably optimistic and one dude who did a lot of them is backed out for 6 mo or longer. The price difference between the kit and built gun isn't that dramatic though, otherwise builders would be buying the kits and building them themselves plus to get the top dollar you'll need to wait, a lot. At the top of the market items are not very liquid and it may take time to sell them because normal people don't usually buy guns that expensive. A lot of small details would factor in, like the original barrel could be north 1k by itself and there are other variants etc.

Closest you’ll probably ever get is a Gordon Tech SLR-100H. I got one of the only ones in Massachusetts and took it with me when I moved to America last year.

I’m sure there are others there, but might take a while to find one! I got lucky.

Make that 2.

Lucked out a number of years ago when I was at 4S.
They happened to have one behind the counter on consignment.
I inquired about it and some other guy had put it on hold a few weeks prior
but never put a deposit on it or came back.

They said f*** it and sold it to me for less than the asking price (I forget what I paid for it, but it was probably
less than $500.).

This is the one I’ve been looking at. I would love to do it but looks like there’s to much red tape and unknowns.

Good luck finding a welder. They’re not out there (especially now) and those who are, aren’t taking new work. I tried and there’s no one good/reputable to do it. Save your $$$.

I do like the old ratty Ak47 look and i would like a real type 2 Russian ak. Are there Russian pre bans out there (not Chinese or Bulgarian)
There are no Russian AK's as they are full auto. Closest is a VEPR, repurposed Saiga, or a Russian kit build on an acceptable (legal) receiver

Back
Top Bottom