AK47 barrel fitment issue

This is a Maadi kit built with a Green Mountain Rifle Co. barrel. The barrel is phosphate finished, and chrome lined. The components pressed on very smoothly with no chattering. Because of these benefits I'd like to stick with a GMR barrel for another build, but I ran into one small snag. The hand guard retainer notch is cut about 1/8" too far forwards which allows the hand guard to move fore and aft.

FYI, gun is head spaced correctly with Manson CIP GO and NO GO gauges. That rules out barrel placement in the trunnion.

See the gap at the front of the lower hand guard?

IMAG0446_zpsmxier19n.jpg

I made a spacer out of aluminum to take up the space, and stop the hand guard from moving.

IMAG0447_zpsqdttdjy1.jpg

IMAG0448_zpso75yhpzf.jpg

Without the spacer.

IMAG0449_zpscgst7gdn.jpg

I called GMR, and they said that it's an issue with my kit. I do not believe them, because the cross slot for the hand guard cap is in the wrong spot when compared to a factory Romanian gun (Romak 1). All of the hand guards I have tested fit perfectly on the Romak 1, and have a gap when put on the Maadi. I told them this, but they said "it's built to specs, and there are over 500 different manufacturers of AK kits, and we can't cater to all of them." I asked if they could get me a barrel without the cross notch, and they said that then it would be a "custom order" and would need 300 units to be ordered. [rolleyes] I did some investigating this morning and found that guys here (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177538) are having the same issue I am.

For the TL;DR crowd.......

Now, the reason for this post is because I have a Polish kit that I'm going to do next. When I put the Polish hand guard in the Maadi, it practically falls out! If I buy another GMR barrel, assemble the gun and the retainer is too far forwards, I want to remedy the issue without a spacer. Some guys say to put a small tack weld in the center of the notch and file a new groove. I'm 100% fine with that. Just wondering if anyone here has run into this issue, and has a fix for it.

Last edited:
This is a Maadi kit built with a Green Mountain Rifle Co. barrel. The barrel is phosphate finished, and chrome lined. The components pressed on very smoothly with no chattering. Because of these benefits I'd like to stick with a GMR barrel for another build, but I ran into one small snag. The hand guard retainer notch is cut about 1/8" too far forwards which allows the hand guard to move fore and aft.

FYI, gun is head spaced correctly with Manson CIP GO and NO GO gauges. That rules out barrel placement in the trunnion.

See the gap at the front of the lower hand guard?

IMAG0446_zpsmxier19n.jpg

I made a spacer out of aluminum to take up the space, and stop the hand guard from moving.

IMAG0447_zpsqdttdjy1.jpg

IMAG0448_zpso75yhpzf.jpg

Without the spacer.

IMAG0449_zpscgst7gdn.jpg

I called GMR, and they said that it's an issue with my kit. I do not believe them, because the cross slot for the hand guard cap is in the wrong spot when compared to a factory Romanian gun (Romak 1). All of the hand guards I have tested fit perfectly on the Romak 1, and have a gap when put on the Maadi. I told them this, but they said "it's built to specs, and there are over 500 different manufacturers of AK kits, and we can't cater to all of them." I asked if they could get me a barrel without the cross notch, and they said that then it would be a "custom order" and would need 300 units to be ordered. [rolleyes] I did some investigating this morning and found that guys here (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177538) are having the same issue I am.

For the TL;DR crowd.......

Now, the reason for this post is because I have a Polish kit that I'm going to do next. When I put the Polish hand guard in the Maadi, it practically falls out! If I buy another GMR barrel, assemble the gun and the retainer is too far forwards, I want to remedy the issue without a spacer. Some guys say to put a small tack weld in the center of the notch and file a new groove. I'm 100% fine with that. Just wondering if anyone here has run into this issue, and has a fix for it.

You are lucky the components fit that good. There are many variations in parts sizing and fitting the parts is not uncommon in building. GM barrels are nice quality none the less.

However it does look like the notch is to far forward based on the fitment of the upper handguard. That said you can weld in the front of the retainer and cut a new slot. Can you compare to another barrel?

I saw today that Atlantic Firearms has 7.62 barrels in stock again for $100. I haven't finished my kit, but dry fitting it all seems ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmpf, i just caved in the receiver behind the handguard so it wouldn't slide back.

that spacer is a good idea. so it the spring, ray.

i blame the alcohol for my rifle.

Thought I'd add a quick update, so I took some some comparison pics to show the relation of the barrel components on the rifle I built, and a Romak 1 (1997 manufacture made in Romania). Both guns pass the head space gauge check with flying colors (just reiterating so there is no confusion about the barrel depth in the trunnion).

Maadi top, Romy bottom.

IMAG0460_zpsmebmug6n.jpg

Maadi top, Romy bottom.

IMAG0461_zpsx0nnbcsx.jpg

Romy left, Maadi right. Notches are in completely different spots!!

IMAG0462_zpslknm3qjf.jpg

Romy hand guard on Maadi, top (notice the gap); Maadi hand guard on Romy, bottom.

IMAG0464_zpsxyferlg8.jpg

I have another GMR barrel that I'm going to use on a Polish kit. I liked how everything else went together, so I'll just put a small tack weld in the groove and cut another slot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom