AK style 7.62x54R?

Hey guys,

Looking to add to the range toy collection... I'd like to buy something semi auto in 7.62x54R.... Is there anything other than Molot Vepr and a PSL? I haven't really been following the market, is a $2000 budget doable here? I live in a free state so no restrictions.

SVT-40. Good luck finding one.

They're not that hard for someone who watches auctions like Rock Island, Amoskeag, Gunbroker, etc. They're around $2000 currently.

Anyways, here's the list of obtainable x54r semi-autos for around $2000:

*SVT-40
*PSL
*Vepr
*Zastava M91

Depends on what OP's going to do. My recommendation would be the Vepr, M91, and PSL in that order, unless OP wants a C&R milsurp.

Huge fan of the SVT if you can get passed the price tag. Beautiful looking rifles.

They are a lot of fun and really cool styling. The brake makes it a pleasure to shoot, not a shoulder breaker like a mosin. Its similar to shooting the Hakim which also has a very effective brake.

Unfortunately 2000+ is where you are at. I wouldn't look local id just use gunbroker. When local stores are trying to get almost $3000 for a mak 90, i think its safe to say gunbroker is your best bet.

Well... I got outbid on the PSL which is probably a good thing. I watched a bunch more videos and decided I wanted a Molot Vepr instead. I put a max bid in on an auction ending tonight with a 16.5" barrel Vepr in 7.62x54R and I won with total cost of $1890.95 shipped to my dealer. It's described as "factory new" with the factory 2x 5rd mags. It has the "sporter" thumbhole stock and I think I'll order the traditional AK style Ironwood stock set once I confirm the receiver type. Whoo Hoo! :)

Well... I got outbid on the PSL which is probably a good thing. I watched a bunch more videos and decided I wanted a Molot Vepr instead. I put a max bid in on an auction ending tonight with a 16.5" barrel Vepr in 7.62x54R and I won with total cost of $1890.95 shipped to my dealer. It's described as "factory new" with the factory 2x 5rd mags. It has the "sporter" thumbhole stock and I think I'll order the traditional AK style Ironwood stock set once I confirm the receiver type. Whoo Hoo! :)

You're going to want a suppressor or flash hider with a 16" x54r.

High bidder on a PSL-54 :p :p :p Lets be honest... It will never be worth less than whatever I pay today right?
Recently, I saw a TGI listed for far less than the Cugir-/Romak-3-/SSG-97-stamped PSLs on the market at the time. I guess there are some early TGIs that lack that true bolt-holt-open, but this one had it and looked sharp per the detail pics sent by the seller. Before my Cugir came to rest on the bottom of Like Winnipesaukee, I had entertained adding some Rhineland "Tiger Maple" furniture to increase the length of pull. That said, I'm not keen on putting nice wood on East Block hardware since the clashes with the overall stamped-out-of-a-trashcan mystique.

No way! I want big fireballs and sonic booms to scare the AR15 kids away. :)

You'll get bored of that eventually. I had a 20" x54r Vepr and that was a lot of muzzle blast.

If you want this to be anything more than a gimmick, you need to cut back on the muzzle blast.

You're going to want a suppressor or flash hider with a 16" x54r.
This won't apply to one with a short barrel, but the Cugirs come with a pinned and welded muzzle brake. It can be removed, but the barrel underneath is not threaded.

Attachments

• FPK TGI muzzle brake.jpg
    FPK TGI muzzle brake.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1
I almost pulled the trigger on a x54R Vepr back in 2013-14 but never did. I've got a ton of x54R ammo but all of it is corrosive so I don't think I'd want to run that in a Vepr. Cleaning will be a PITA.

I almost pulled the trigger on a x54R Vepr back in 2013-14 but never did. I've got a ton of x54R ammo but all of it is corrosive so I don't think I'd want to run that in a Vepr. Cleaning will be a PITA.
it's not as bad as you would think. just have to remember to pull the gas tube and use a toothbrush

I got a Vepr and dressed it up in ironwood designs furniture. Although the original wood was really attractive, it was impossible to get a good cheek weld. It is a lot of fun to shoot but as others have pointed out,you need to clean it well. Hope you enjoy the smell of Ballistol...

2KSxFOP.jpg

One of he local shops had 4 SVTs all Finish capture. Here are three of the better one's. The bottom one is a SVT-38, rare in the US from what I understand. I was able to grab the top one after two other people staked a claim and ended up passing. The top one has the AVT (Automatic) stock which appealed to me, but does have cracking around the cross pin.

This shop does not have any more in inventory, but they art starting to seen more often now.

Attachments

• SVT.jpg
    SVT.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom