AK recommendations and questions

Hello all!

I am new to this forum and to firearms and have a few questions on AKs. I tried to do a quick search for information regarding AKs in Mass but was unable to find other posts on the issue but I apologize if I missed previous threads on the issue. My questions are: Are there limitations on AK-47s that can be purchased in MA? I am looking into an Arsenal SGL-20 but cannot find much information on whether it is legal to buy/own one in Mass. I have seen WASR-10s for sale at MA gun shops but have not seen any other AK models for sale. I have read mixed reviews on the WASR-10 so am hesitent to buy that model. Does anyone have experience good or bad with the WASR-10? If there are limitations to AKs available to those in MA what do you recommend as a high quality AK-47?

Thank you for your help!
-Hynkel

as long as the rifle is in an AWB-compliant configuration and does not include any post-ban hi-cap magazines you're all set.

this.

The reason you see so many WASRs in gun shops in Massachusetts is because they usually come in a "Assault Weapon Ban" compliant form. ie: their bayonet lugs are ground off, their muzzle nuts are tack welded to the front sight block (so you can't access them), and they have a fixed stock that doesn't fold or telescope.

Gun dealers in MA usually stock them because it's easy.

However, there are FFL's that stock "converted" rifles, like Arsenal SGLs. I hate advertising for gun shops because I am not affiliated with them, but if you look through the gun shop section of this forum, you'll find one that does stock converted Arsenal AKs (they are in natick, MA). And that excites me because no one does this. They're priced very reasonably, too.

And don't be hate the WASR too much- the terrible reviews usually come from AR-15 Fanbois (ie, they don't know what they're talking about). They are rough around the edges because they were made for cheap money in Cugir, Romania by a drunk ex-communist that is probably suicidal. I've never heard of one not functioning well, and some of them are outstandingly accurate. Just check the front sight to rear sight alignment. If it's good, then it's going to be a good shooter.

as far as "recommend me a quality AK for Massachusetts?" goes, use the search button on the forum. I've made some rather lenghty posts regarding different model types, etc. Generally, you can't really go wrong unless you buy a IO AK or one that was hacked together by a 1911 gunsmith. An Arsenal AK is a good direction to go if you are into their product, which is a fine one at that.

If not, buy a preban norinco, polytech legend, or Arsenal Classic. You can't go wrong with those rifles. Expensive? Yes. But high quality.

Last edited:
I have a WASR 10/63 that came in a estate purchase, not really wanting it but it was part of the deal. It turns out to be a decent shooter and functions as all the other AKs should. I have a mak 90 norinco that has been through it all and still goes and goes and.. I never really went for any accuracy testing with either. Much more fun to just blast a tree stump into tooth pics.

I love my wasr and i have no problem grouping nicely in the middle of the target at 100 yards... from the bench, haha
Standing is another situation but thats cuz i suck! Hahaha

I am looking into an Arsenal SGL-20 but cannot find much information on whether it is legal to buy/own one in Mass.

The story with Arsenal SGLs is that they are imported Russia Saiga "sporting" rifles, and then Arsenal does the conversion back into authentic military-style AK-47/AK-74 configurations. It's an easy way to go to get high-quality new rifle without doing any of the conversion work. But they only have a couple of off-the-shelf MA-compliant models with no bayonet lug or muzzle device. If you can't find them at a local gun shop, check out the other Arsenal distributors and get it FFL transferred to a local shop or gunsmith.

I got an Arsenal SGL-24 (MA-compliant AK-47) recently and I'm happy with it. Yes I actually like the black poly stock/grip [shocked]
It takes standard AK magazines, so you can easily find a proper-looking 30-round pre-ban mag provided you have an LTC-A.

Okay I was told that preban 30rd mags can only be used in preban "assault rifles" but I I've been doing more research on this and it seems this is not true? I can use preban 30rd mags in a postban wasr-10? If this is the case (and maybe this is a stupid question but like I said I am new to firearms, just got my Class A ltc) why are preban AKs so expensive?Thanks for those helping me out! I've tried to search for this info first but am not finding straightforward answers.Btw don't forget I am in MA.

If this is the case (and maybe this is a stupid question but like I said I am new to firearms, just got my Class A ltc) why are preban AKs so expensive?Thanks for those helping me out!

You can use pre-ban AK mags in any AK that you want to, legally, in MA as long as you have the proper licensing. Whether you use them in a ban compliant post ban AK or a pre-ban AK, you are fine.

Pre-ban AKs are so expensive because of two reasons:

1) If made before the AWB, they can have a folding/telescoping stock, threaded muzzle, and bayonet lug. These are somewhat desirable to some people. There is lingo stating that the rifle had to be in a "evil" state before the Assault Weapons Ban (AWB), but that is next to impossible to tell, even on AKs, because most ban compliant models existed in an evil state from their country of origin before they were modified and imported (if they came in before 1994 in a ban-compliant form).

2) Usually pre-ban AKs can also be pre-1989 imports, which means that they have 100% original foreign manufactured parts. Rifles imported after 1989 had to either have a certain number of american made parts installed on them, or they had to be "ban compliant" at that time, which means sporterized. This ties into a point I made in #1.

Does that help clear your confusion? Don't over think it. Read the laws for what they are and don't make up laws in your head.

A lot of folks around here do that.

Back
Top Bottom