ak question

So, I was fondling an ak at my LGS yesterday. I found the wood stock to be uncomfortably short. My cheek was right up against the upper receiver when I was waving it around like a gunstore jihadist. Are short stocks common to ak's? Is is a big project to change an ak stock? I know I have to know the difference between straight or slant cut, but beyond that, any spacers or other things I would have to scrounge up?

they do seem a bit shorter. i haven't shouldered every ak available but the ones i have brought me up close and personal. when i bought my arsenal, i ordered it with their nato stock that made the length of pull about 1/2" longer but i'm a big guy. i like shooting an ak and ar with my nose to the receiver.

There are 2 different stocks for AKs. One is NATO length and one is Warsaw length. The NATO is 1.25 inches longer. Not sure which one was on the rifle you were fondling.

Easy to change ak stock, toughest part is getting the original one out if it is wood depending on manufacturer, but there is literally 1 coarse thread lag bolt holding in . Remove bolt wiggle old stock out, push new one in, secure new bolt. As you mentioned, something like a vepr will have a slanted cut .

If the stock is too short another option is to remove the buttplate install a spacer and replace the buttstock. The spacers I've seen are black plastic.

Yes, they run short. NATO is better, or you could put a pad on the back, spacer etc..

If you want to swap stocks, definitely get a stamped, straight cut receiver. That will give you A LOT more options. They are all pretty universal, though you may need to do some minor tweaking with a dremel tool.

Warsaw length stock. Too short for some folks, perfect for others.

As others have said, it's a simple screw and the stock slots into the tang at the rear.

There's tons and tons of stock options out there, especially if you live a in free state; there's even M4 stock adapters which allow you to put on an AR-style stock you prefer.

This is, of course, provided you have a straight cut receiver. Slant cuts will reduce your options.

Here is an image showing the difference:
1599049169903.png

I have a nato length stock on one of my rifles and am fitting an RPK stock to my MAK 90. I know for Fitting Euro furniture on the MAKs, Euro pattern AK furniture needs to be sanded to fit a bit, due to Mak recievers being 1.5mm thick vs a euro Ak’s 1mm reciever thickness. Fitting a Euro stock to a euro rifle may still require a small amount of fitting.

I'm a uni-ma-corn. I like em short. Heck, I run my M4 stocks at half-way even thought 90% of people using them on an AR pull them all the way out. LOL.

I want to say my Poly side-folder is NATO length. Which means it's sorta too long. It's not like it gets a ton of range time anyhow.

Its short by design. Helps with maneuverability

Crouch down a bit and hunch over, rifle will fit better. Guy bringing up the rear knows good position for best fit.
8F7E5EF1-A347-4742-9B94-2534DB9A1807.jpeg

So, I was fondling an ak at my LGS yesterday. I found the wood stock to be uncomfortably short. My cheek was right up against the upper receiver when I was waving it around like a gunstore jihadist. Are short stocks common to ak's? Is is a big project to change an ak stock? I know I have to know the difference between straight or slant cut, but beyond that, any spacers or other things I would have to scrounge up?

If you're a tall guy an AK will never fit you right, you'd have to go to ironwood designs or something like that and get a NATO length stock, or some other solution. Theres plenty of aftermarket crap.

If you're a tall guy an AK will never fit you right, you'd have to go to ironwood designs or something like that and get a NATO length stock, or some other solution. Theres plenty of aftermarket crap.
As much as I hate the look I have a choate stock that is much better for range plinking fun. Longer better “thumbhole” type grip. I bought it when the crappy wood thumbhole stocks where the norm.

As much as I hate the look I have a choate stock that is much better for range plinking fun. Longer better “thumbhole” type grip. I bought it when the crappy wood thumbhole stocks where the norm.

I have a choate on a MAK90 here, it sucks. It's way too long, although much better than the shitty thumbhole contraption that came on the mak. I am probably going to put an ironnwood designs mak set on it or something and then karma the choate off at some point.

I'm waiting on an M4 stock adapter to come in for one of my SA-85Ms so I can try a collapsible M4 stock with a riser for my optic. I currently have a KVAR NATO length polymer stock on there which is alright. Purists won't like it but I don't care. It's my rifle and it came with a thumbhole stock to begin with. My other one is a preban and stays exactly as it came from the FEG factory in the mid 80s.

They are made for African child warriors that want to overthrow governments.

Lol. deja vous with the SKS thread.

These work well, are cheap and ugly too...
The 'overhang' fits a Westerner's shoulder well.

UTG AK-47 Combat Recoil Pad (Black) Also Fits M1 Carbine Wood Stocks.
They're like $15 bucks... until you find the stock you want...
1599078312930.png

Back
Top Bottom