• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ak question

I'm new to aks so bear with me, but when you set the rear sight, do you cover the desired number or set it to the line below the number?

I've never shot one of my AKs past 100 yards. I always figured those numbers were just decorative.

My sliders are always all the way back.

The rear sight, like on most manly open sights will click to specific position only, simultaneously indicating your range in whatever glorious language.

I thought out past 100 yards AK's were just for area effect fire?

Now, if you want to shoot something past 100 yards accurately get yourself and AR. [smile]

your probability to hit anything drops with distance, much more so for AR shooters who take 5 min to fire a single shot through a tiny peep sight (ignoring the rest of the field) at a static target that don't shoot back. Once this comrade can shoot well enough, platoon leader will assign him a designated marksman's rifle.

your probability to hit anything drops with distance, much more so for AR shooters who take 5 min to fire a single shot through a tiny peep sight (ignoring the rest of the field) at a static target that don't shoot back. Once this comrade can shoot well enough, platoon leader will assign him a designated marksman's rifle.

Speaking of AK's when is your next shovel build party?

my dad can pickup ak-74 and put all 30 rounds on the target at 350 yards using 'crappy' AK tangent sights. mind you when he served he did it with an SKS. i, myself can't match his performance with either gun, but then again he went to Army and i went to college. just gets to show that it's a skill not a type of sight that make an accurate shooter.

Last edited:
The rear sight, like on most manly open sights will click to specific position only, simultaneously indicating your range in whatever glorious language.
Didn't even know the rear sight clicked with every position thanks for the help.. And NHAtHeart is right.. We need another shovel ak!

I've never shot one of my AKs past 100 yards. I always figured those numbers were just decorative.

My sliders are always all the way back.

Same here, just moved mine all the way back to where it locked, and it's been perfect for up to a 100yds. which is the longest range I have access to.

My Norinco 84s Shoots about 4 MOA from a bench (without any fancy kind of rest, just my elbows and a sling) using the factory sights and standard Lake City M-195 .55 gr.

Im confident I could cut that in half with a decent rear aperture sight or some kind of optic. Its surprisingly accurate.

Don

My Norinco 84s Shoots about 4 MOA from a bench (without any fancy kind of rest, just my elbows and a sling) using the factory sights and standard Lake City M-195 .55 gr.

Im confident I could cut that in half with a decent rear aperture sight or some kind of optic. Its surprisingly accurate.

Don

I agree with you on that, and I plan to add a nice aperture sight AND a red dot to my M10-762. I was genuinly surprised at how accurate it was after all of the internet blather about AKs just being dependable, but not accurate.

Never quite got the whole AKs are not accurate thing. Mine clanks small plates all day..sights are always set all the way back...in combat mode muuhah

I agree with you on that, and I plan to add a nice aperture sight AND a red dot to my M10-762. I was genuinly surprised at how accurate it was after all of the internet blather about AKs just being dependable, but not accurate.

Prior to the 84s, my only experience with AKs was with the '74. I had a nice Bulgarian Arsenal SLR105. It was a great gun, but not nearly as accurate as the Chinese guns. The Chinese gun has a noticeably thicker receiver and barrel.

I'm no AK expert and I have never handled or shot an AK made by some of the top American guys like Krebs, but the 84S is the finest AK I've ever handled or shot. Much nicer than Arsenal. (This applies for now. I'm on a waiting list with Tromix to build my Saiga 12 into some kind of useless but entertaining weapon of mass fun)

Also. I'd rather buy Chinese stuff on the 2ndary market than buy a gun from a company who supported Harry Reid (Arsenal).

Don

I can be of no help as I can't shoot my 47 or 74 worth crap at any long distances. I just shoot those for fun and switch to one of my AR's or M1A when going for distance.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Well, they aren't as accurate as ARs. You can make an AR into a sub MOA gun with nothing more than a decent barrel and a free float tube. (and good ammo of course).

But how accurate can YOU actually be. Without shooting from a rest, most people are pushing it to even achieve 4 MOA accuracy. So how accurate does the gun really need to be to not matter? I'm not sure. But as others have said, if you can clang the club gong at 200 yards, thats probably fine for most Northeasterners.

Don

Then you get a PSL.

Back in the day, our marksmanship qualification was done using iron sights on pop up sillouettes at ranges from 50 to 400 yards using M16A2's. I don't know what the big deal is about hitting targets at those ranges, even with AK74 iron sights once you have an idea of the hold for that range.

Back
Top Bottom