AK purchase opinions

ochmude

Marine Veteran
I'm in the market for an AK, and I think I've got it narrowed down to this Polish model from Atlantic Firearms, or the Arsenal SLR-107, also from Atlantic Firearms. Due to the thread size and unconventional buttstock, I don't think I'd be able to dress the Arsenal in wood and attach a standard slant brake to make it look more like a traditional AK, whereas I believe I could put polymer and a 74-style brake on the Polish rifle to give it a more modern appearance (minus the folding stock). If I'm correct in that thinking, having the option to customize it like that does make the Polish variant appealing. The lower price, 30-round mag, and included hard case are pretty cool too. At the same time, though, I'm wondering if the Polish rifles have the same issues that the Romanians are know for, as I really have no clue what their build quality is like. So, I figured the best thing to do would be to start a thread and let NES make up my mind for me.

TD;DR
Should I get a slightly cheaper Polish rifle that I can customize, or the Arsenal that will likely be good to go right out of the box and has a cool folding stock?

Ironwood designs makes wood furniture for Bulgarian milled receivers...

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEW3B12_2.html

Only thing is, now you're spending another $155.00 - $165.00
My understanding is that those stock sets won't fit on the SLR due to the mechanism that allows the stock to fold. I could be completely wrong, though. I'm more of an AR guy so these are uncharted waters for me.

My understanding is that those stock sets won't fit on the SLR due to the mechanism that allows the stock to fold. I could be completely wrong, though. I'm more of an AR guy so these are uncharted waters for me.

I just took a look at some of the close-up pics of the SLR-107, and that does appear to be the case.

The Arsenal is so awesome,it takes AR mags...backwards.

Photo is proof.

The 74 style brake on the 107 is awesome,as an aded bonus the folding stock makes it easy to hide under a trenchcoat like in your avatar.[smile]

DSC00782.jpg

Last edited:
Ferrari must be Italian, Mercedes and BMW German, Cognac and Champagne french, AK must be RUSSIAN, don't cheat on yourself and get Izhmash. There's a reson they are the most expensive ones. BTW if you decide to get one do it now cause with Odumber's recent sanctions they won't be available soon.

I have that polish model and I like it quite a bit. I don't know a lot about AKs but the fit and finish seem good. My AK SBR (based on a Yugo M92 PAP) looks cooler but fit and finish are not as good.

SLR107FR owner here. I really like that rifle. Mine looks a little bent to the left, but hits where I aim and always goes bang. The side folder feels great, when it's locked open you can't tell the difference between it and a fixed stock. If you want the classic AKM look, see if you can find a WASR at an LGS.

No reason why you can't get this rifle in MA, in fact, I own that exact rifle.

Oh, definitely. Just not shipped to MA from that particular vendor.

I've got a brand new Polish build that I just finished over the holidays. Took it out for the first time today.

Another Arsenal owner checking in. My first and probably last AK buy. My dad always said "buy right the first time." SAM-7-R also.

i bought a WASR myself....not bad build is it no arsenal of-course but it is half the cost...yes....it is an AK...they were built original to be mass produced stamped cheap easy to operate firearms. i would love to get an arsenal someday but the newer century arms quality is not bad its just not as smooth and such...takes the surplus steel mags just fine..fit and finish is decent. just my two uneducated cents.

go to east Ukraine and see whats being fielded...lets count the arsenals....not.

Can't speak for the other stuff out there but I love my Arsenal SAM7SF. with the milled receiver its a bit heavier but its very smooth and hits the mark accurately(as long as I keep it on target). the price was painful at first but sometimes it holds true that you get what you pay for.

Well, you guys are a tremendous help, lol. The advice I've gotten is this thread is to get the Arsenal, get the Polish, or get something else [laugh]. After talking it over with a buddy of mine at work, I've decided to go with the Polish AK for the more classic appearance, then start saving up to buy the Arsenal SLR but in 5.45. I don't even have one AK yet and I'm already planning my second purchase. I should probably attend a meeting or something.

Plus one for Arsenals, I have a SSR99 built by Gordon Technologies back in the 1990's. They are so good, I think the company went bankrupt at some point! It is actually too good an AK - milled receiver, chrome lined Steyr barrel, Bulgarian black synthetic furniture, but a real pleasure to shoot. Here's a photo of one, not mine though..........

ssr99_1.gif

Back
Top Bottom