• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK muzzle brake

Hey guys, I'd like to put a muzzle brake on my WASR-10, seeing as I enjoy and plan on keeping the rifle, and wouldn't mind softening the recoil and curtailing the muzzle climb a bit (not that these things are that bad, but they could be better). I don't know much (anything, actually) about AK muzzle brakes, but the most popular one seems to be the 45 degree slant style. I wanted to get some opinions that don't include "buy an AR" [laugh] (I will get one soon enough, don't worry), anyone have any experience on the matter?

I know we talked about this earlier, but I forgot about my "favorite" muzzle brake on my AKs (the only other one besides my PSL, 45* slant, and ak74 cage brakes)

Tapco AMD Brake

p_100002497_1.jpg

amdflash.jpg

It's big. And long (so it makes a AMD65 barrel legal) but it's bright. And it's louder than any brake I've ever heard, and that's including those "loud" AR-15 brakes that people bitch about. It also handles recoil extremely well. Unfortunately, you can't see what you're shooting at when you pull the trigger on the rifle as the bright flash gets in the way of that.

Other than that, there are plenty more modern brakes that, I would assume, would work way better than the typical commie brakes that are out there.

Primary Weapon Systems seems to be the usual pick for modernized AK brakes. My experience with them is 0 but maybe someone else can shed some light on them for you.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=6

I'm guessing you have a threaded muzzle with a protector nut welded in place on your WASR right? Once you Dremel the welds and back the protector off, be careful of the spring loaded pin in the front sight block (if yours has one). Its there to index a brake like the Tapco slant one.

http://www.tapco.com/products/ak/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=60

Most of the 74 style brakes aren't as effective as the real Bulgarian ones because they don't have the same internal design. Be careful if you decide to go with one or else you may wind up with a brake thats more for looks than use. If it were mine I'd go with the slant brake. I see a lot of WASRs come in with slant brakes already on them.

Just remember... LH threads, and before someone calls black helicopters on you, you'll need to permanently attach the brake with a few tack welds, silver solder, whatever.

I'm guessing you have a threaded muzzle with a protector nut welded in place on your WASR right? Once you Dremel the welds and back the protector off, be careful of the spring loaded pin in the front sight block (if yours has one). Its there to index a brake like the Tapco slant one.

I think you may be right Ray, it looks like what you describe. Here's the muzzle:
CIMG3538.JPG

You have to Dremel out that spot weld on the bottom. Its probably on one of the detents in the protector so you may have to go deep into the protector to get it to break free. A small Dremel cutting bit like this:

r00070v3.jpg

will be your best bet because it allows you to get right in there. Then you'll have to press the indexing pin in enough to clear the protector nut and with a pair of channel locks clamp down on the flat side and try backing the nut off. Don't forget though... LH threads.[grin]

If you want to use a ak-74 muzzle brake that has 24mm threads, you'll want this adapter-

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30068

You can get that pinned on, and then you'll have to get the brake pinned to that [grin] but it'll work

I know there used to be 14-1 LH threaded AK-74 "style" brakes... but if I remember correctly, these were a very scarce part that went on certain Romanian issue side folder AKMs that were for their elite forces. I'm not sure if any US company ever made a replica of them or not.

Back
Top Bottom