Ak Mags

Sparkey

NES Member
I have been looking around at Ak mags for a Saiga conversion I am doing. The problem is I don't know what Is the best pre ban 30 round mag. I can get my hands on some Polish surplus 30 rounders for around $25 apiece. Good bad ? School me on Ak mags.
Thanks

I have been looking around at Ak mags for a Saiga conversion I am doing. The problem is I don't know what Is the best pre ban 30 round mag. I can get my hands on some Polish surplus 30 rounders for around $25 apiece. Good bad ? School me on Ak mags.
Thanks

Well, for starters, the $25 price would have been a little on the high side a month ago, but is probably cheap with the AWB hysteria, so I'd grab a few while you can. In my somewhat limited experience, most of the surplus mags seem to be pretty much the same quality regardless of the country they were made in. Sometimes they need to be modified slightly to work in your particular gun, though. In my case, I had to file the ramp on the backside of a couple of Romanian ones to get them to release easier in my rifle. They would go in and latch perfectly, but would jamb the release so I had to tap the release with a small hammer to break it loose, which is obviously not a good situation if you HAD to switch mags quickly. The tolerances on the AK platform are so wide that what works for one particular rifle may not be ideal for another, but they all can be made to work with a bit of work. That has been my experience, ymmv.

I know nothing about AKs or their mags, but my jaw hit the floor when I was in Riley's last weekend and an employee dumped a huge tupperware container full of them into a box on the sales floor. No one blinked. I'd call up there and see what they have.

Just remember that when you do a Saiga conversion you often need to remove some metal from the top of the magazine catch in order to allow standard AK mags to snap in and be removed easily. Its a simple process that can be done with a Dremel and you can probably find a tutorial on youtube if you're unsure about where to file/grind.

Back
Top Bottom