AK mag problem

basscatfrank

NES Member
I have a Zasatava Opap that I have been shooting with the single steel mag that came with. It was getting tiresome reloading my single mag so I purchased 2 Tapco plastic mags for it. The Tapco mags are a tight fit, I mean a really tight fit. I have to wiggle and push pretty hard to get them in and out. Is this normal? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Yes ....over engineered and manufactures by silly Americans![smile]

Try it see if they function if so with use I'm sure they will loosen up a bit...if not see where the mags rub on the exterior and take some sand paper to them if you want them to wobble.

PROBLEM IS NOT WITH GUN OR MAGAZINE, PROBLEM IS WITH COMRADE FOR HAVING TRUST IN MANUFACTURER OF TAPCO CHEAP GARBAGE!
COMRADE WOULD BE WISE TO INSTEAD OBTAIN STRONG RUGGED LIKE RUSSIAN TANK MAGAZINE CONSTRUCTED BY LABORERS OF FORMER
SOVIET UNIONS FACTORIES AND ALLIES!
PROBLEM IS SOLVED!

Me: Thank you
You guys: Really?
Me: No, not really.

[grin]

Yeah. But they're right.

Even in MA you can find milsurp AK mags at $20. Hard to imagine why you wouldn't just buy a bunch of those and revel in their goodness.

I've never heard any positive feedback on plastic AK mags. As has been said, steel mags are cheap and reliable.

I've even tried some of new, grey, Korean steel mags and they have worked well. They feel and function just like combloc surplus mags. Collectable Arms in Merrimack had a bunch for $10 each recently.

That said, I couldn't resist ordering a couple of these to try them out:

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/tapco-in...k-47-7-62x39mm-russian-30-round-magazine.html

For $5 each, I couldn't resist. I'll try and post a review once I get them and can try them out.

I had that problem I took a steel mag slammed it out breaking the tab off and never had an issue after. Have the same rifle too.

I've never heard any positive feedback on plastic AK mags. As has been said, steel mags are cheap and reliable.

I've even tried some of new, grey, Korean steel mags and they have worked well. They feel and function just like combloc surplus mags. Collectable Arms in Merrimack had a bunch for $10 each recently.

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/tapco-in...k-47-7-62x39mm-russian-30-round-magazine.html

For $5 each, I couldn't resist. I'll try and post a review once I get them and can try them out.

haha 5 bucks, and if i want to buy a 10 round or 5 rounder it'll be 10 +. just want one for bench shooting

I'm not familiar with a Zasatava but I had a problem with my AK Taking drum mags. The problem was two little pointed tabs in the mag well. I hit them wit a file and the problem is no longer. So look at the mag well and see if it's the same with your AK. A couple strokes with a file could fix it.

Some of the zastivas aren't cut for double stack Mags, they also have a "single stack" bolt, that's really a cut down double stack bolt

Toss that decadent capitalist made mag in the bin and treat your AK to the people's magazine. Made before the fall of the glorious Soviet Union and not limited to 10 rounds by the phony communists of Massachusetts.

Got my $5 mags today. Wicked fast service from these guys. Test fit one in a few AKs. It locked up nicely in my M92 and in one of my homebuilt Maadis. Did not lock up in my homebuilt Polish rifle. It inserted fine, but would need a little off the tab for the mag catch.

I don't think I'll mess with the mags or the gun. I'll see which guns they work in and just stick with those. I have about infinity steel mags for the others.

Mark around the mag with a sharpie and put it in a out a few time.
Look to see where it worn off than there's the high spot you need to sand down.

Tapco mags work fine, that's all I use in my AK74 because they are cheap. Sometimes they need a little filing to fit, but if you don't want to do that just insert them and pull them out a few times.

The only real problem I've had is they sometimes let me load 31 rounds and won't lock in. Other than that, buy 6 tapcos for the price of 1 AK74 mag.

* My experience has been the same with the 7.62x39 mags, but I would get steel ones because they are so cheap.

Back
Top Bottom