Ak in 7.62 legal in ct?

I will be transferring my ltc to ct in the near future I was told its illegal to have an Ak chambered in 7.62 x39 in Connecticut. Is this true? if so, can I buy 1 in Massachusetts and then it will be grandfathered when I transfer my LTC to Connecticut ?

Any AK old enough to qualify for C&R would have to be a FA. Good luck trying to get that to fly in CT

no. period. it is specifically banned by name in ct i have never seen one here ever. 7.62x39 saga sporters are legal, however when converted they are, an AK, and thereby are illegal.

5.45 is a great round or .223. i don't know why people are complaining [rolleyes]

because its a bullshit ****ing law that has no purpose. i know you agree with me, but i complain because it is completely insane that i can own an M1A or an FAL but NOT an AK just because of its specific name. but CT's laws are retarded, just ask anyone who ever wanted to own a "colt" AR15 here...

because its a bullshit ****ing law that has no purpose. i know you agree with me, but i complain because it is completely insane that i can own an M1A or an FAL but NOT an AK just because of its specific name. but CT's laws are retarded, just ask anyone who ever wanted to own a "colt" AR15 here...

You can own a Colt AR15 in CT. It just can't say AR15 on the receiver. [wink] Any AK pattern rifle in 7.62x39 is not allowed no matter what. The only way you could have had one is if you bought it before the ban and it was grandfathered in. Thats it.

I don't know how any of you can give this guy advice and not give a reference to the statute. So here it is:

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

If you read the law, you will see that CT uses 2 sets of criteria to determine if a firearm is an AW.

1) A list of firearms by brand and model. If its on the list, its an AW regardless of how many evil features it has or when it was made. The list includes the term "Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 Type"
Keep that in mind its important.

2) A list of "evil features". If your firearm was made before the ban date in 94, then it can have any combination of features. If it was made after that date, it must comply with the limitations of this definition.

A couple of other points:

1) unlike some other states, the gun does not have to have been made into a functional firearm by the ban date to be considered pre-ban. In states like CA, and I believe MA, if a receiver was made prior to the ban, it had to have been built up into a functional firearm before the ban date to be considered pre-ban. Of course, it would be the state's burden to prove it wasn't, but some people get spooked by this.

2) The definition of Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 Type" was determined by case law.

In State of CT v Halden Boswell a judge ruled that if a "clone" could interchange partes with a Russian AK, then it fell within the definition of "AK-47 Type".
This means that conversely, if the parts are NOT interchangeable with a Russian AK, which is chambered in 7.62x39, then the firearm is not an "AK-47 Type".

And since there isn't parts interchangeability (specifically bolt and receiver per the case) between 7.62x39 AKs and those chambered in other calibers, those chambered in other calibers are not considered to be AK-47 type.

As such, these rifles are then still subject to the "evil features" portion of the law. So . . what does this mean.

It means that you can have a pre-ban AK with all the evil features provided its not in 7.62x39. The most common of these are the mid 80s Chinese imports chambered in .223

This is my pre-ban Norinco 84s in .223

84S3A.jpg

It also means you can have a post-ban AK provided it has enough of its evil features removed so its not considered to be an AW. This is actually pretty easy since the most common import is the AK-74.
A 74 with a fixed stock only needs to have the bayonet lug removed and the brake that it already comes with permanently affixed. 5.45x39 is a great round and is still pretty cheap.

I hope this helps.

Don

You are correct. With a small but annoying caveat.

If you look at 53-202 (http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm )you see that in the named weapons part of the statute it says:

Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:

The ban includes semi-auto firearm and select fire versions of any firearm on the list. So what does this mean in a practical sense? It means you AK can ONLY be full auto.
In other words, if you bring an AK machinegun into CT, the dealer will have to somehow disable the semi-auto function. This is typically done by removing the semi-auto sear, although
I'm not sure how its specifically done on the AK.

**Oh yeah, I almost forgot, there is one way you can have an AK in 7.62 in CT, and thats to have owned and registered the firearm during the registration period when the law first went into effect. I have a friend with a select fire M16 that is registered, so its allowed to stay select fire.

If it wasn't registered with the state or he had just purchased it, it would need to be full auto only.

Hope this helps.

Don

p.s. This same guy has a Krink style (short barrel, slant muzzle brake, underfolder stock) AK machinegun and it is MISERABLE to shoot. All 3 of those features combine to make a gun where only the first shot is on target (kindof) and the rest just go up from there.

Finally, remember that if you want to shoot a MG in CT, your choices are limited to Metacon and . . nowhere else. Metacon in Simsbury is the only public or club range that allows full auto fire. If you have enough private land you can shoot just fine. But if you live away from rural areas, you should know this.

i hate to beat a dead horse here, but I too am looking to move from MA to CT and was wondering if an RPK is considered an "AK Type" rifle due to the intergangeability of mags and some other parts, even though the receiver barrel and other main components cannot interchange

Not worth it. Get yourself a nice AK74. Ammo is cheap enough at Aim surplus.
The gun normally has a brake. So all that has to happen to make it CT legal is to have the existing brake pinned and cut off the bayo lug.

Back
Top Bottom