• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK gurus !!!! ak headspace/loose bolt.

FMH2016

NES Member
I have many ak's. Recently acquired a romy G- build on an nds-3 reciever. My question for ak gurus is this. I've compared this to all of my other ak's. The bolt in the romy G seems to me to have a real sloppy amout of play. Compared it to 5.45 rifles other 7.62 riflesand also a 5.56 rifle. I realize ak's have loose tolerances but is it even worth shooting in this condition or do i need to check headspace? When i bought it it was dirty as all hell and definately never cleaned so it seems like a shooter. Or could i be wrong and it came as a parts kit dirty? I was told it was accurate and shot a lot. I dont know if its worth the risk of just going and blasting away this weekend with it?

what is this "slopy amount of play"? When, where? If it locks the round in and headspace is good, you are good to go. Any slopiness before or after is a "design feature" [laugh]

it's never a bad idea to check headspace on a new rifle, unless it's a Mosin. Find a friend with the gage or get one.

it's never a bad idea to check headspace on a new rifle, unless it's a Mosin. Find a friend with the gage or get one.

doubly so if this is someone else's build, and unless the OPs mords got wixed--it sounds like it was.

at least with my builds if i blow off my hand i have no one to blame but my own dumb self.

thanks guys. lots of side to side play when its cocked. no noticeable front-back movement.

It's very loose on the rails but doesn't pop out. I've compared to 6 other ak's. This one has a Lott more play. But looks to have been shot a lot. I have a bunch of different ak's and got this for the old battlefield pickup Akm look. It's got a significant amount of play compared to the others. On another forum people are saying just shoot it. Im not so sure lol.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't the smoothest action on the rails it's rather sloppy at times gets hung up. Worse than some wars I've seen that aren't smooth over the fcg

- - - Updated - - -

Wasr*

imported saigas are super tight, with minimal amount of slop. but then again those were build by IZhMash and not some garage gun-monkey. have your buddy shoot it. or invest in some headspace gauges. anyhow they will come handy on more occasions than one.

It's very loose on the rails but doesn't pop out. I've compared to 6 other ak's. This one has a Lott more play. But looks to have been shot a lot. I have a bunch of different ak's and got this for the old battlefield pickup Akm look. It's got a significant amount of play compared to the others. On another forum people are saying just shoot it. Im not so sure lol.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't the smoothest action on the rails it's rather sloppy at times gets hung up. Worse than some wars I've seen that aren't smooth over the fcg

- - - Updated - - -

Wasr*

you can always squish or expand the receiver to make it more loose/tight.

Romy G's have always been known for being kind of sloppy. If I were you, I would shoot it and if you notice nothing out of the ordinary, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom