• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK Furniture

I've been looking at various options for wood AK furniture and seem to find a lot built for air soft guns. These look identical to a legit AK in the pictures. Any idea whether the furniture will fit?

no idea, but there are literally grab bags of old furniture available for sale, never mind tons of custom/new/old stock.

I have no idea on the airsoft stuff but I picked up a "grab bag" with 3 sets for $35 requires refinishing but not a bad deal at all! Do you have a certain look in mind? Are you doing a saiga conversion cuz then you need to worry about place of origin?

I've been looking at various options for wood AK furniture and seem to find a lot built for air soft guns. These look identical to a legit AK in the pictures. Any idea whether the furniture will fit?

depends on whether it was made for a specific brand of airsoft rifle, or whether a Ukranian is using that name as a ploy to export legit stuff out of eastern europe. You can fit legit furniture to airsoft garbage for sure. The other way around? ... if you did it, I'd come find you and slap you in the nuts.

post pictures, or links. Let me put eyes on it and I'll tell you if you can put that on your glorious child of Kalashnikov. Some russian wood out there is branded/sold as airsoft crap. Back five years ago they went for $100 a full set. Now, legit refurb russian sets go for $350 largely because Ukraine is putting their foot down on their side of customs.

i have a full set for a romy G if you're interested. not sure what it's worth but if you want it let me know and we can work something out.

Thanks for the feedback, except the dude living in his mom's basement. I might not have mentioned it, but I was only looking at photos online. No idea the quality, material, etc. In my opinion, seemed like they were advertising legit furniture for an AK which is why I asked. Figured this might be how "they" sell to the US.

I'm not putting this on a conversion, but it is a Saiga from Arsenal (no plug holes from trigger relo, AK gas tube and cleaning brush already mounted). I don't like the look of the laminated wood Tapco sells. I'd rather real wood that's a little rough looking and darker in color. I haven't seen any grab bags yet, but that would be perfect. I wouldn't mind refinishing. Any good web sites for these?

Thanks for the feedback, except the dude living in his mom's basement. I might not have mentioned it, but I was only looking at photos online. No idea the quality, material, etc. In my opinion, seemed like they were advertising legit furniture for an AK which is why I asked. Figured this might be how "they" sell to the US.

post a link. Since I live in my mom's basement, I know more about AK wood furniture than ron jeremy knows about female genetalia. I could point you as to where it originated from and if it will fit your Arsenal converted Saiga.

the "grab bags" of romanian furniture are unique- they are in very rough shape, covered in cosmoline, and sometimes have carvings and stickers on them.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/2034

I bought a bulk pack when they first sold them and got 12 stock sets of garbage. Lucked out with one russian handguard and a few chopped up romanian grips. Since I have more AK wood than god, I ended up giving a lot of it away since I'm not impressed with the thin stock combs of Romanian stocks, or their "donkey dong" grips as I have enough of that.

If you're looking on gunbroker, post a link or a picture. Lots of "russian" wood is infact from Ukraine. And even some of it is malaysian made BS that is stained to make it look russian red. Lots of ukrainian import stocks are heavily refurbished, or come from Ukranian arsenals that made them to originally refurbish beat up old stock rifles. From the markings you can identify what they are. And from the grain patterns, cross pin locations, retentions springs, sling loop locations, shellac color, cheek comb heights, and palm swell shapes, I can tell you which arsenal it came from, what era, if it's refurbished, which arsenal refurbished it, etc. I don't know what "legit" furniture means to you, but if any of the above information is what you seek, I can help you with that.

There's not much to do in mom's basement except learn everything there is to learn about the AK47 and it's variants.

If you don't mind spending around $100-140, Timbersmith has some of the nicest new Ak Stock sets.

I just redid mine in Premium Red Romanian http://www.timbersmithusa.com/products/ak/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2.

Customer service is good too. I had an small defect in one of the pieces and they sent me a new piece immediately. I didn't have to send the old piece back.

These are expensive.. I think they are worth it. I get nice comments about the furniture every time, I take the AK to the range.

Mark

Do you have any pics you could send me?

i'll see if i can take one but it's your standard romy G stock set. sticky with cosmo, might need to be refinished after it's cleaned up--might not. it all depends. i've got a lot going on and might not be able to dig through my stuff to take a picture right away though, hope you understand.

also flintoid... ron jeremy was gay for pay for a little while. [wink]

post a link. Since I live in my mom's basement, I know more about AK wood furniture than ron jeremy knows about female genetalia. I could point you as to where it originated from and if it will fit your Arsenal converted Saiga.

the "grab bags" of romanian furniture are unique- they are in very rough shape, covered in cosmoline, and sometimes have carvings and stickers on them.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/2034

I bought a bulk pack when they first sold them and got 12 stock sets of garbage. Lucked out with one russian handguard and a few chopped up romanian grips. Since I have more AK wood than god, I ended up giving a lot of it away since I'm not impressed with the thin stock combs of Romanian stocks, or their "donkey dong" grips as I have enough of that.

If you're looking on gunbroker, post a link or a picture. Lots of "russian" wood is infact from Ukraine. And even some of it is malaysian made BS that is stained to make it look russian red. Lots of ukrainian import stocks are heavily refurbished, or come from Ukranian arsenals that made them to originally refurbish beat up old stock rifles. From the markings you can identify what they are. And from the grain patterns, cross pin locations, retentions springs, sling loop locations, shellac color, cheek comb heights, and palm swell shapes, I can tell you which arsenal it came from, what era, if it's refurbished, which arsenal refurbished it, etc. I don't know what "legit" furniture means to you, but if any of the above information is what you seek, I can help you with that.

There's not much to do in mom's basement except learn everything there is to learn about the AK47 and it's variants.

Sounds like you know your wood! Thanks for the help. I know I don't want laminate and I want something "Russian" assuming it's not crazy money. I do like the darker furniture look too. What's your recommendation?

i'll see if i can take one but it's your standard romy G stock set. sticky with cosmo, might need to be refinished after it's cleaned up--might not. it all depends. i've got a lot going on and might not be able to dig through my stuff to take a picture right away though, hope you understand.

also flintoid... ron jeremy was gay for pay for a little while. [wink]

No problem. Is that all four pieces? Whenever you get a chance to take pics would be fine.
Thanks

Sounds like you know your wood! Thanks for the help. I know I don't want laminate and I want something "Russian" assuming it's not crazy money. I do like the darker furniture look too. What's your recommendation?

Russian wood that is dark (it's laminate- russian AK Furniture is laminate unless it's super early type 1 or 2 AK47 wood - early fifties) would be Tula flavored wood furniture. That arsenal made cruder versions of AKs. Their laminate is harder to tell it's laminate- their shellac was darker, and their cutting tools weren't as refined. That is sort of the "classic" soviet russia wood look- that of Tula wood on a Tula AKM. I've got a kit ready for a receiver when I get off my ass. And I did a lot of trading, buying, and research to find the wood for the 1970 Tula front trunnion.

If you can't stand the grain of russian laminate, I'd suggest something like polish AKM wood. That's carved wood. So is Romanian stock sets- those are just carved from hardwood. Russian stocks are laminated as well their foregrips (front hand guards) are all laminated. You can tell from the inherent cross pin that you can see in the front section of the grip- it's there to hold the laminated layers together. When it's positioned more forward, it's an earlier model grip. When it's positioned more towards the middle of the grip, it's later, as it is an easy way to tell when the soviets converted to a leaf spring in the front of the foregrip to help seat it into the handguard retainer and receiver. This happened in 1970-1972. Mine is an example of such a handguard.

IMG_1197.jpg

This is an example of a Tula made stock set that has been refurbished by the Izhevsk arsenal. The stock comb shape, cross pin locations, and wood grain shape (it's more curved or concave on a Tula stock and straighter on a Izzy). The original proof marks on the wood are circular and have a distinct "tula anvil" in one of them. However, the top layer of shellac has triangular proof marks which scream Izhevsk. Since the kit is primarily made of Tula 1970'ish AKM parts that have been refurbed, it'll match perfectly.

Here's an example of a 1960's romanian stock set:
IMG_1198.jpg

It has a slightly different flavor to it. But has it's own unique sexiness in my opinion. I have a Romanian G kit, but can't stand putting this m63 wood on it because I prefer my kit to have what it was born with. Weird? Yes. But that's just how I am about this shit. Weird as hell.

If you don't mind spending around $100-140, Timbersmith has some of the nicest new Ak Stock sets.

I just redid mine in Premium Red Romanian http://www.timbersmithusa.com/products/ak/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2.

Customer service is good too. I had an small defect in one of the pieces and they sent me a new piece immediately. I didn't have to send the old piece back.

These are expensive.. I think they are worth it. I get nice comments about the furniture every time, I take the AK to the range.

Mark

Can you post a picture of your completed rifle?

Ah......My first post ! I happened on this website while browsing around for information on the "Timber-smith" replacement AK-47 stocks. I bought one online (the premium set for Romanian AK-47) and modified it to fit a Norinco that I've had for years but never actually shot! You're probably asking what the H*ll is wrong with this guy....Believe me, it's not that I have any issues with shooting whatsoever (other than I live in South Florida and can't just go out and blast off the front porch...), but I do own something like 20 other rifles of which 5 are AKs of Bulgarian/ Romi manufacture so there was really no good reason to devalue a potentially valuable gun. So, the reason I'm posting is that when I get this set from Timber-smith I immediately notice it's waaaaaay RED. Not just dark plum or mahogany or maroon it's like...UH, RED. Well I didn't send it back just because I liked the general quality of the woodwork which I know is all done by CNC milling machines. It is perfect. It definitely stands out among the more utilitarian rifles that I own. Anyway, Here are a couple of pics and I'd like to hear what you guys think.
Thanks,
Frogman13

DSC08841.jpg

DSC08839.jpg

Last edited:
I think I like it red red like that. People will know when u come walking out with that in your hand, lol. I was considering this set, so I am glad to see the pics and color comparison.

I just ordered a wood stock set for one of my bulgy ak74s from Apex gun parts for $25.00 on sunday . Seems like a very fair price.

Last edited:
I came home from work today to find a package from Apex with the Bulgy wood and here is a couple photos of the Bulgarian 74 dressed in the wood that she belongs in and next to her is her little sister a Bulgarian Arcus 98DA .

0215122001.jpg 0215122006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom