• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK Finish

Knicks

NES Member
I've got tired of looking at the unfinished wood on my AKM. I have sanded it down and applied a few coats of stain to it, while a few more to go. Should I finish it off with coats of tung oil or polyurethane? I'm not looking for a real glossy finish but not a flat finish either. I've picked up a semi gloss polyurethane but after some web searches, some have said the poly melted on their rifles. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking tung oil.

i personally don't like oiled finish and prefer lacquer or varnish.

third option is alkyd based coatings. both of two worlds. mechanical durability similar to poly with that goes on and 'wets' wood just like drying oils.

little known fact:
tung oil is product of china that during WW2 was in very short supply because of Japanese occupation.
other polymerizing oils were used which were widely available locally such as:
linseed oil
walnut oil
poppy seed oil

which performed as well or better than chinese tung oil and eventually replaced it in domestic oil-based coatings production

i personally don't like oiled finish and prefer lacquer or varnish.

third option is alkyd based coatings. both of two worlds. mechanical durability similar to poly with that goes on and 'wets' wood just like drying oils.

little known fact:
tung oil is product of china that during WW2 was in very short supply because of Japanese occupation.
other polymerizing oils were used which were widely available locally such as:
linseed oil
walnut oil
poppy seed oil

which performed as well or better than chinese tung oil and eventually replaced it in domestic oil-based coatings production

thanks for the info. what you you recommend for my desired finish? looking for something between glossy and flat. my original plan was to use semi gloss poly and then sand it with 0000 steel wool until i got the desired finish.

if looking for a satin finish, try a mixture of boiled linseed oil and turpentine. Apply, let dry, burnish with steel wool - repeat as many times as you want. The turpentine just makes applying and burnishing the BLO a little easier - but you will have to do more coats the thinner you make the BLO. You will end up with a satin finish.

So I decided on using the polyurethane I had already purchased. The problem is when I applied the first coat, the stain started the run off the wood. The previous coat of stain was left on overnight because I fell asleep before I could wipe it down. It was about 7hrs after the coating that I got to wipe it down. I've read that this could happen if the previous coat of stain isn't wiped of within 15 to 20 min after application.

Back
Top Bottom