• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK drum question

A pre ban A's drum mag? I'm sure some exist in the state but the chances of finding one in a shop are likely zero. Only chance would be zero hour arms and if they do have one it will be 2x the normal price...

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

If you can wait a month or so you will find more then a few in an upcoming gun show. I've seen some decent prices for a couple there. Also, if you can find one get a Chinese drum instead of a Romanian drum. The Chinese ones are MUCH easier to load.

If you can wait a month or so you will find more then a few in an upcoming gun show. I've seen some decent prices for a couple there. Also, if you can find one get a Chinese drum instead of a Romanian drum. The Chinese ones are MUCH easier to load.

Thank you for heads up. Are they dated anywhere?

Thank you for heads up. Are they dated anywhere?

lol. You're lucky when there's a 10 and a circle around it. Surplus AK mags aren't easy to date because them commies don't really believe in logos and companies and stuff. Technically, .gov has the burden of proof to put you away for post ban possession.

lol. You're lucky when there's a 10 and a circle around it. Surplus AK mags aren't easy to date because them commies don't really believe in logos and companies and stuff. Technically, .gov has the burden of proof to put you away for post ban possession.

Circle 10 is Bulgarian and is post ban. Do not pay pre ban prices for a new Bulgarian drum. A Chinese drum usually has a triangle with a number it it denoting which factory made it.

Russian non wind up drums have inspection markings but no way of telling when they were made. Considering they are for the 47 and the 74 was introduced way before the ban expect that most if not all of the top loaders would be pre ban.

I'd recommend going to a gun show as mentioned before. I went to the Wilmington show in November 2013 and my buddy bought 2 AK drum mags. 1 Romanian and 1 Chinese. I think he paid like $125-$150ish per mag if I recall? But there were quite a few of them for sale.

I recently bought a MAK -90 and it came with a 75 round drum and that was at a MASS Shop, its metal and not dated. I was concerned that it wasnt pre-ban but the owner did some research on it and wrote down all the info he could find that stipulates that it is, if you want i can post it here but it will have to wait until tommorow, the paperwork is locked up at my other house. The biggest thing about it that bothered me was a sticker on it that said "Made in China" the sticker was not even scratched to make it look 20 years old but the owner swore to me that it was pre ban.

I recently bought a MAK -90 and it came with a 75 round drum and that was at a MASS Shop, its metal and not dated. I was concerned that it wasnt pre-ban but the owner did some research on it and wrote down all the info he could find that stipulates that it is, if you want i can post it here but it will have to wait until tommorow, the paperwork is locked up at my other house. The biggest thing about it that bothered me was a sticker on it that said "Made in China" the sticker was not even scratched to make it look 20 years old but the owner swore to me that it was pre ban.

Pretty common to have that sticker on a genuine pre ban chinese back loading drum. Small and gold in color IIRC. Pleny of people bought these right when the ban kicked in and never used them or at least took care of them. Chinese typically have the triangle & number somewhere on them near the winding key and most of the post ban ones I have seen that are back loaders have the circle 10 on them. I dont ever recall seeing any drums with dates. That tends to be a AR mag feature.

Pretty common to have that sticker on a genuine pre ban chinese back loading drum. Small and gold in color IIRC. Pleny of people bought these right when the ban kicked in and never used them or at least took care of them. Chinese typically have the triangle & number somewhere on them near the winding key and most of the post ban ones I have seen that are back loaders have the circle 10 on them. I dont ever recall seeing any drums with dates. That tends to be a AR mag feature.

The Triangle & Number is exactly what I have and yes the little yellow/gold with white sticker is on it as well, funny thing you mention about guys never using them because the store owner told it was never used by the previous owner, I have the original receipt that goes back to 1994 when he bought it.

Back
Top Bottom