• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK damaged finish (even ding) on the barrel. Problem?

CAESAR

NES Member
I just took apart my new AK and found a good ding with finish off under the gas block on the chrome lined barrel.
I intend to shoot corrosive only and this is not the place that is usually gets cleaned. Is that a problem? I am afraid the barrel might rust.

Thanks.

PS
All smart ass comments keep where they are. In your ass.
Thanks again.

Cosmoline will stop the rust. I wouldn't be too concerned. Just clean the gun as if you will never shoot anything but garbage steel surplus commie ammo and you'll be GTG.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I don't get it, what's the problem again? There is a ding on the barrel? [rolleyes] Is that the "problem"? How? You are asking a silly question and warn not to give you equal replies.

The rifle will function fine. If the barrel is straight it would likely outshoot your abilities anyway. You can blame it on being commie anyway. Even if the barrel is visibly dented, as in "holy shit, that barrel is bent!" it would still shoot. There is nothing to worry about. Just clean it and also the gas block/tube and you will be fine. Corrosive means that you need to clean it unless you like the red rust everywhere.

My concern is that some finish on the top of the barrel is off. What does it have to do with cleaning the gas tube?

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it sounds like the ding is on the outside of the barrel, right? If so, I'm not seeing any connection to corrosive ammo, which would affect the inside of the rifle, specifically the bolt, chamber, bore and so on.

the finish doesnt stop corrosion at all if you don't take care of the gun it will rust end of story.

and jesus dude it's an AK not some poodle shooter.................Harden the **** up

My concern is that some finish on the top of the barrel is off. What does it have to do with cleaning the gas tube?

because no one cleans them evah ... go figure, people are obsessed with clean barrels but shoot corrosive ammo and never clean the gas tube/block.

Grab some glue, mix with black paint, that's what original AK finish actually is. Otherwise, dab some high temp paint over it.

I think that you are talking, literally about a scratch/dent and worrying about it. I want to think that there is something more to this. Can you post the pics?

yes [pics]

Grab some glue, mix with black paint, that's what original AK finish actually is. Otherwise, dab some high temp paint over it.

I think that you are talking, literally about a scratch/dent and worrying about it. I want to think that there is something more to this. Can you post the pics?

yes [pics]
+1. Maybe every barrel has that ding?

srsly-40514.jpg

Dude, youre fine. It is AK.

I am impressed, actually astonished. OP demands no wise ass comments to a General Discussion string and there is full compliance here. I figured that would trigger a deluge... learn something new everyday I guess.

that's a tactical ding. you got a deal because people usually have to special order those

put some tactical grease on it if you're worried about rust

alternatively, you could clean it with solvent then dab some rustoleum on it

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it sounds like the ding is on the outside of the barrel, right? If so, I'm not seeing any connection to corrosive ammo, which would affect the inside of the rifle, specifically the bolt, chamber, bore and so on.

Didn't you get the memo about the AK being such a delicate weapon that even a scratch would render it useless? I don't understand why it's still a widely used weapon of choice among terrorists and othe BGs.

Guys in less "nice" parts of the world bury their Ak's to hide them then dig them up and start fighting.

i've seen new AK's in the gun shop with worse scratches.

Looks like the barrel string is unwinding. Not good.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

You ever buy a new car before and baby the darn thing, until some jerk dings a door in the parking lot? And then you relax and realize it's just a car, and you're almost relieved that you can stop fussing over it?

Same thing here. Except the AK is kinda like the Jeep of the gun world... It looks better when it has gotten smacked around.

Go roll around in the dirt at the range. You'll feel better.

Back
Top Bottom