• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK Compliance??

I am searching desperately for an AK. I would love to find a pre-ban but am not opposed to a new one for the right price either. My question is, other than the normal MA AWB laws pertaining to the AK, is there a federal compliance also that the weapon must meet? I have noticed in alot of aftermarket shooting catalogs that AK parts sometimes have a disclaimer such as " This item counts as 1 U.S. Sec 922R compliant part" What is this all about??
Thanks guys.

18 USC 44 § 922(i) bans importation of all foreign firearms. 925(d) specifies some exceptions to that ban, mostly sporting firearms. 922(r) further specifies that you cannot assemble any gun from foreign parts that would not be allowed to be imported under 922(i) and 925(d). 27 C.F.R. 478.39 defines what qualifies as a semiautomatic rifle that is assembled from foreign parts.

The CFR states that the rifle cannot contain more than 10 of the following foreign parts:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver
castings, forgings, or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunnions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

So if your 'post-ban' AK has more than 10 of those parts not made in the US, it is illegal to possess. This is usually referred to as the 922(r) rule.

Last edited:
I am searching desperately for an AK. I would love to find a pre-ban but am not opposed to a new one for the right price either. My question is, other than the normal MA AWB laws pertaining to the AK, is there a federal compliance also that the weapon must meet? I have noticed in alot of aftermarket shooting catalogs that AK parts sometimes have a disclaimer such as " This item counts as 1 U.S. Sec 922R compliant part" What is this all about??
Thanks guys.

If you modify the rifle from its original configuration you must make sure it has a minimum of 10 US made parts. It gets complicated, for instance, magazines count as three parts. Although, from what I've read no one has ever heard of anyone actually prosecuted for breaking just this law. Please someone correct me I'm wrong but usually it is one of those add on charges after a person has already committed a gun crime. As always you have to weigh the risks for you personally. When I converted my Izmash Saiga I made sure I was compliant with the MA AWB and 922r.

So if I want to take the Choate Dragunov stock off my bought-used/made-in-
2001 SAR-1 and replace with Romanian wood furniture ... how do I know which and how many of my internal parts are foreign?

how do I know which and how many of my internal parts are foreign?

I'd highly recommend getting a Saiga and converting it yourself. You will learn so much about your rifle and plus its pretty fun. To top it off the Saigas are made in Russia in the same factory as the original and Kalashnikov (The inventor of the Avtomat Kalashnikov Model 47) is still employed there. Resultantly, I think they are very well made although I must admit I don't have anything to compare it to.

If you're interested there is a forum dedicated to the Saiga at http://forum.saiga-12.com/ where you can find pretty much anything you need to know about the gun including the shotgun versions.

I think for most AKs it works out to be about 6 US parts needed. But it's different for every rifle.

Are the romanian WASR-10s imported and then have US made parts added by a factory stateside? Because, unlike the Saiga which is imported as a sporting rifle with 14 foreign parts the WASR comes in a pistol grip configuration which from my understanding disqualifies it from being listed as such.

Yes, the WASR-10s are converted to be compliant by the importer. You're allowed to import the parts, just not the guns. So the importer buys them in kit form, and then assembles them using just enough US parts to be compliant.

AK Compliance?

Many thanks to everyone with there info! That was another question I had, I often wondered how the U.S. compliant parts got into the rifle in order for the consumer to purchase it. I will keep looking and you will all be the first to know if I find one.
Thanks again.

BTW, I forgot to mention that as of 2005, ATF ruled that receivers of guns that would be illegal to import can no longer be imported either. So new AKs have to either have a US receiver, or have the stamped receiver imported flat and incomplete, and have it then bent and finished in the US.

Back
Top Bottom