AK build parties, anyone?

Most builders recommend to start with a blank receiver and go from the trigger guard.
Then Layout the trunnion holes.
You can take trunnions from the same factory and the holes are slightly in different spots.
Going from country to country it's even more off.
Thanks, learned something new today. I thought that the tolerances on the location of front trunnion holes were pretty tight since the trigger guard dropped right in and I had a hell of a time drilling the front trunnion holes through the hardened Radom receiver, only to have to drift the magazine well anyway. The front trunnion would have poked out the front of the receiver otherwise. But if pre-drilled front trunnion holes don't make life any easier, then **** them, I stand corrected. Does the rear trunnion have the same hole variance?

Thanks, learned something new today. I thought that the tolerances on the location of front trunnion holes were pretty tight since the trigger guard dropped right in and I had a hell of a time drilling the front trunnion holes through the hardened Radom receiver, only to have to drift the magazine well anyway. The front trunnion would have poked out the front of the receiver otherwise. But if pre-drilled front trunnion holes don't make life any easier, then **** them, I stand corrected. Does the rear trunnion have the same hole variance?

It's safe to say all parts are pretty lose spec wise. Heck main reason why you can't swap bolts. My two psl's bolts are so different one I can't close the bolt on a go gauge if I swap it.

Would it be better to get a reciever without the front trunnion holes already drilled, and can u even buy it this way ? I was reading that the front trunnion holes are always drilled a little off and then you can use masking tape and a pencil to stencil the exact placement of my front trunnion holes.

Childers and NoDakSpud (non "EZ") offer receivers without trunnion holes drilled. I ended up ordering a Childers without the trunnion holes drilled.

I recommend getting a receiver with pre-drilled front trunnion holes, we can mod the receiver to fit the mag and you can actually get it to lock up a little tighter.

Wrong.

First off front trunnion hole location varies from trunnion to trunnion, so any existing holes will need to be tweeked to even line up.

Secondly and more importantly is that the mag fit is adjusted by the relationship (distance apart) of the front trunnion and the triggerguard (of which the mag catch is part) You rivet the TG then use a couple of different mags to determine the correct placement of the trunnion. Riveting in the trunnion and TG in first then grinding shit to make the mags fit, is a sure sign of a hack job.

Would it be better to get a reciever without the front trunnion holes already drilled, and can u even buy it this way ? I was reading that the front trunnion holes are always drilled a little off...

Did you skip a few posts maybe? No trunnion holes is definately the way to go

Last edited:
Based on everything I've read here (and elsewhere), I've decided to go with a non-drilled receiver. I had the same idea - that predrilled would have made things easier. Experience speaks for itself though, and I don't need to make the mistake that another person has already made. I can learn from them.

Maybe I never know lol . Did u check the trunnion? Barrel head spaced ?

1bd1473bf7e5737449de0424a729bb4e.jpg
adc2fe3a2fa1f9252f3cd71b1e16555a.jpg

0fa937b5540f9d84a1a1aee74a244ee5.jpg

I'm working on some thing my self lol .

So, was just reading through this thread and one thing has been bothering me. Cock block may not mean what I thought it meant.

Back
Top Bottom