AK build parties, anyone?

Yeah, I have gages in both calibers.

I think it may be tough to have everyone show with barrels already populated. I understand the logistics, but not sure how well it will work out.

I am with Ben on process. Press barrel, check headspace, pin, then populate.

Once the barrel is populated, they can just finish the build easy enough.

Yeah, I have gages in both calibers.

I think it may be tough to have everyone show with barrels already populated. I understand the logistics, but not sure how well it will work out.

I am with Ben on process. Press barrel, check headspace, pin, then populate.

Once the barrel is populated, they can just finish the build easy enough.

Yeah I meant doing the population on there own etc. It's not that hard to line the stuff up and drill a few holes. Most people have to know some one with a drill press.

I have to populate at least one barrel, so if anyone is interested in doing this seperately one day, I'm in for that as well. I just picked up a Green mountain barrel a couple weeks ago --- awesome service and good looking barrel if anyone is looking. Shipping to MA was next day! I couldn't believe how fast they turned it around.

This all works... I'll set the party so everybody knows that if they can't get it populated beforehand, that we will be able to get everything all set anyways for them. Sounds good.

Also - just checked - April 25th is a no go for me. Its booked completely at work due to that being school vacation week. That leaves me with May 2nd or 16th, and I'm leaning towards the 16th because I already know one person said the 2nd wouldn't work. How's everybody feel about this? I'm nailing this down tonight, so if you have an opinion, let it be heard lol

Last edited:
I have to populate at least one barrel, so if anyone is interested in doing this seperately one day, I'm in for that as well. I just picked up a Green mountain barrel a couple weeks ago --- awesome service and good looking barrel if anyone is looking. Shipping to MA was next day! I couldn't believe how fast they turned it around.
Gas port already drilled?

question about building an ak, i hope thats ok to put in this thread. i want to build an amd 65 with a 12.5 inch barrel with pinned 4 inch linear brake and a kyber pass stock (similar to the one in the photo below.)
q1: can i find a reciever that will accept both amd parts and a kyber pass stock??

q2: anticipate any problems pinning and welding a brake like this:
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29792

to this barrel?:
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30043

thanks for the help guys. if im in the wrong thread just say so and ill move it

amd65.jpg

Last edited:
question about building an ak, i hope thats ok to put in this thread. i want to build an amd 65 with a 12.5 inch barrel with pinned 4 inch linear brake and a kyber pass stock (similar to the one in the photo below.)
q1: can i find a lower that will accept both amd parts and a kyber pass stock??

q2: anticipate any problems pinning and welding a brake like this:
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29792

to this barrel?:
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30043

thanks for the help guys. if im in the wrong thread just say so and ill move it

View attachment 127320

Buy a normal ak47 receiver(aks don't have uppers and lowers) with no trunnion holes.
Cut the right notches for the folding stock mech.
I'm not sure if the kyber pass stock uses the rear locking mech to lock it in the folded position or not some side folders have a latch near the front trunnion others use the rear mech to lock it closed.
I've built a few folders on polish fixed stock blanks. Just a matter of cutting and drilling the right holes.

The fake can is aluminum so you can't weld a steel pin to it. What I have done is drilled a hole through them . Then take a mig welder and fill the hole with weld which acts like the pin is welded to the barrel vs pin to fake can.

Last edited:
This all works... I'll set the party so everybody knows that if they can't get it populated beforehand, that we will be able to get everything all set anyways for them. Sounds good.

Also - just checked - April 25th is a no go for me. Its booked completely at work due to that being school vacation week. That leaves me with May 2nd or 16th, and I'm leaning towards the 16th because I already know one person said the 2nd wouldn't work. How's everybody feel about this? I'm nailing this down tonight, so if you have an opinion, let it be heard lol

May 2nd definitely won't work for me. The 16th is a possibility.

Atlantic has barrels available again. $100 with gas port drilled, retainer cut and bolt face cut (or whatever that is called).

Lol why you have to go and post a bunch of sites I use, you Bastard. Least you left a few of my good ones off .

Don't forget lube. You need lube. Lots and lots of lube for drilling.

A normal build with 7-15 rifles is going to be an all day affair.... think 8am to 5pm, and that's with populated barrels and de milled kits

head space gauges are only part of the head space equation.... the proper reamers and over sized bbl pins are another part, but i have yet to see a build not headspace.

you don't wanna be there at 9pm trying to finish kits

A normal build with 7-15 rifles is going to be an all day affair.... think 8am to 5pm, and that's with populated barrels and de milled kits

head space gauges are only part of the head space equation.... the proper reamers and over sized bbl pins are another part, but i have yet to see a build not headspace.

you don't wanna be there at 9pm trying to finish kits
Yeah, I've limited it to 14 builds, might drop that to 12 though. Also plan on starting at 9am - and will probably work out that anybody with big tools shows up earlier to get things set up. We are not going to be populating barrels, unless there is time, and we are only allowing demilled kits. What reamers would you say we should have on hand?

Yeah, I've limited it to 14 builds, might drop that to 12 though. Also plan on starting at 9am - and will probably work out that anybody with big tools shows up earlier to get things set up. We are not going to be populating barrels, unless there is time, and we are only allowing demilled kits. What reamers would you say we should have on hand?

If the barrel wasn't head spaced and pined you just need a reamer the stock size . A drill bit slightly smaller. I use a end mill to start the hole on the barrel since its round and wants to walk.

The problem you'll get is kits from different country's used pins that not all the same size .

The over sized pins are when your working with a take off barell not head spaced to that bolt and trunnion or when you mess up head spacing .

Ak builder kit style with barrel head spaced .
Most should take 45 mins to 1 hour.

Head spacing a barrel really depends on who made the barrel . What print they went off of . And where did the trunnion come from. Some might be on the tight side and when trying to set head space the barrel can pop and skip and move more then you wanted.

It should be split into two groups . Guys with head spaced kits and guys who don't.

The guys with head spaced kits will be done much faster.

If people have a drill press and can drill there rear trunnion holes before the build that would make things go quicker. But do not drill the holes for the front trunnion... You set the trigger guard in first then the front trunnion so you can setup the Mag to not be too tight or too lose .
If you can attaché the trigger guard with screws you can then set the front trunnion and drill those holes before the build party.

If the barrel wasn't head spaced and pined you just need a reamer the stock size . A drill bit slightly smaller. I use a end mill to start the hole on the barrel since its round and wants to walk.

The problem you'll get is kits from different country's used pins that not all the same size .

The over sized pins are when your working with a take off barell not head spaced to that bolt and trunnion or when you mess up head spacing .

Ak builder kit style with barrel head spaced .
Most should take 45 mins to 1 hour.

Head spacing a barrel really depends on who made the barrel . What print they went off of . And where did the trunnion come from. Some might be on the tight side and when trying to set head space the barrel can pop and skip and move more then you wanted.

It should be split into two groups . Guys with head spaced kits and guys who don't.

The guys with head spaced kits will be done much faster.

If people have a drill press and can drill there rear trunnion holes before the build that would make things go quicker. But do not drill the holes for the front trunnion... You set the trigger guard in first then the front trunnion so you can setup the Mag to not be too tight or too lose .
If you can attaché the trigger guard with screws you can then set the front trunnion and drill those holes before the build party.
And this ^ is why I like you being on board with this party. Better then the blind leading the blind haha

Yeah, I am definitely there just for my tools. I got my Maadi built, but I think mostly through knowledge of using tools and stubbornness!

I recommend getting a receiver with pre-drilled front trunnion holes, we can mod the receiver to fit the mag and you can actually get it to lock up a little tighter.

Most builders recommend to start with a blank receiver and go from the trigger guard.
Then Layout the trunnion holes.
You can take trunnions from the same factory and the holes are slightly in different spots.
Going from country to country it's even more off.

I've probably built around 12-15 aks with people. Out of 5 kits I've help build with pre drilled receivers. Only one we didn't have to egg shape the rivet holes.
That's with nordak , Ohio ordnance , Childers. There made to print but the trunnions aren't.

If you populate barrels you see this is worse with that. They stamp the parts telling you what tolerance range they are.
They measure the journal and grab one that's close enough.
Com lock guns are made to ISO 9001 . .
Postie note on the side of trunnion is a easy way to figure out the hole lay out .

I recommend getting a receiver with pre-drilled front trunnion holes, we can mod the receiver to fit the mag and you can actually get it to lock up a little tighter.

Wrong.

First off front trunnion hole location varies from trunnion to trunnion, so any existing holes will need to be tweeked to even line up.

Secondly and more importantly is that the mag fit is adjusted by the relationship (distance apart) of the front trunnion and the triggerguard (of which the mag catch is part) You rivet the TG then use a couple of different mags to determine the correct placement of the trunnion. Riveting in the trunnion and TG in first then grinding shit to make the mags fit, is a sure sign of a hack job.

Wrong.

First off front trunnion hole location varies from trunnion to trunnion, so any existing holes will need to be tweeked to even line up.

Secondly and more importantly is that the mag fit is adjusted by the relationship (distance apart) of the front trunnion and the triggerguard (of which the mag catch is part) You rivet the TG then use a couple of different mags to determine the correct placement of the trunnion. Riveting in the trunnion and TG in first then grinding shit to make the mags fit, is a sure sign of a hack job.
You free May 16th?

Wrong.

You worded it better then me . ;)

7.62 knows what he's talking about.

Back
Top Bottom