AK build parties, anyone?

If everybody is fine with doing it at my place, then it'll be in MA. Also, I will see about planing it for the last weekend in April, so I can ensure we have the tools we need - as EvilDragon has the tools, but isn't available in May. I'll start PMing everybody and get some solid info set into place. Then I'll start the Build Thread.

Still IN as well, parts are on the way! Hard to comment on availability without a hard date but I don't see any issues at this point with the end of April. I don't have any jigs/tools to supply but I've ordered extra rivets and would be happy to spring for more consumables (drill bits, etc) once the build thread is started/organized.

I have all AK specific tools and also a drill press. The only thing that I DON"T have is a press. We don't strictly need it, but it'd be a nice-to-have. Gardner is ****ing far, but whatevski, I'll show up. I'm gonna ask my wife if we're doing anything in the last days of April.

Oh yeah, can everyone post what they are planning to assemble? I need to know whether to bring the barrel populating tools or not.

Nothing exotic here...Polish AK-47 fixed stock kit with populated barrel. Childers 100% (without trunnion holes). Also ordered the side scope rail to install.

Let me know what I can do god gardener is far.

I'm not building just willing to help.

It would be cool if you could host! Then again, you might be the only no-show then:)

I'm not planning on building, just helping and bringing tools.

If my Bulgy '74 isn't done by then, I might bring it anyway, but barrel isn't populated.

It would be cool if you could host! Then again, you might be the only no-show then:)

I'm not planning on building, just helping and bringing tools.

If my Bulgy '74 isn't done by then, I might bring it anyway, but barrel isn't populated.

If my shop wasn't so small and a mess Id be all over it. I got a lathe wrapped up sitting out side the barn doors right now. Part of the problem is it's mine and my dads shop and he's a ****ing hoarder...
Group clean up and move lathe in? lol

283db556140f815c122e37ad2e281078.jpg

My brother in the pic not me .

Haha, just bustin ya!

I would love to host, but my big bosses and residents would crap themselves.

My manager goes on vacation in three weeks, may build my Bulgy then. Built my Maadi during her last vacation.

Well, I've gotten a lot of feedback from all of you, and it looks like we are in good shape. We should end up being fine on the tool end so long as those that have given me a thumbs up are able to come. As far as Gardner being far from some of you... sorry guys. If I could fix that, I would. We needed a spot though, and I can make a spot happen. Won't be a closed in, heated/ac shop - but it will be a concrete floor, with walls, and enough room for some presses, people, and gun building. Shit, I'd be up for doing it in a shack built out of pallets if that were my only option haha - Not to mention, you can drink, eat, smoke, and swear all you want at my place. Nobody is going to care. It's right off the highway too, so it's easy to find. I'm the only guy with eight chickens living this close to the middle of a city, so my neighbors are used to a little redneck-ery. :)

Anyways - I'll be sorting out what's good for days (trying for April 25th) and will be getting all the details ironed out, so by tomorrow night I should have a new thread created solely for moving forward on an official build party.

Well, I've gotten a lot of feedback from all of you, and it looks like we are in good shape. We should end up being fine on the tool end so long as those that have given me a thumbs up are able to come. As far as Gardner being far from some of you... sorry guys. If I could fix that, I would. We needed a spot though, and I can make a spot happen. Won't be a closed in, heated/ac shop - but it will be a concrete floor, with walls, and enough room for some presses, people, and gun building. Shit, I'd be up for doing it in a shack built out of pallets if that were my only option haha - Not to mention, you can drink, eat, smoke, and swear all you want at my place. Nobody is going to care. It's right off the highway too, so it's easy to find. I'm the only guy with eight chickens living this close to the middle of a city, so my neighbors are used to a little redneck-ery. :)

Anyways - I'll be sorting out what's good for days (trying for April 25th) and will be getting all the details ironed out, so by tomorrow night I should have a new thread created solely for moving forward on an official build party.

Oh I can guarantee that you aren't the only redneck with chickens in Gardner... You may be the only redneck with eight live ones though.

Oh I can guarantee that you aren't the only redneck with chickens in Gardner... You may be the only redneck with eight live ones though.
Nah, I'm sure you're right. Just the only one on a 1/4 acre, looking at downtown from my backyard, with neighbor's houses all just a few yards away lol

In my neighborhood, I'm definitely the only one haha

If my shop wasn't so small and a mess Id be all over it. I got a lathe wrapped up sitting out side the barn doors right now. Part of the problem is it's mine and my dads shop and he's a ****ing hoarder...
Group clean up and move lathe in? lol

283db556140f815c122e37ad2e281078.jpg

My brother in the pic not me .

If you're more conveniently located for everyone and need a hand getting the shop cleaned up, i'd be willing to provide an extra set of hands for getting ready. Feel like I need to contribute SOMETHING to this event!

Nice! Hahaha Come by next fall, and you can help with the slaughter of all these ones. :D They get 18 months of nice living... Then have one bad day. Haha! I should have a new set of chicks in the brooder by the time we have this build party.

Aight then, sounds like nobody's gonna try to populate a barrel.
I'm absolutely fine with populating barrels. I'd like to get an unpopulated one myself. Just need to find out who's up for that and if its something we can work out for anybody interested. Details are coming... Soon.

I'm absolutely fine with populating barrels. I'd like to get an unpopulated one myself. Just need to find out who's up for that and if its something we can work out for anybody interested. Details are coming... Soon.

I think the plan in the works was to try to get people to populate their barrels prior to the build party to cut down on how many need doing when the day rolls around. I've got my demilled kit and barrel ready to put together, myself...[smile]

Ok... So I guess the majority is saying that having a populated barrel is the best way to go. So I'm just thinking we should make it official. Populated barrels ONLY, at the build party? Everybody either buys a populated barrel, finds somebody to help them prior to the party, or populates it themselves before the party.

Wish we could do it all, but I have to go with majority opinion on this, and having that step already done seems to be the best choice then. Agreed?

Ok... So I guess the majority is saying that having a populated barrel is the best way to go. So I'm just thinking we should make it official. Populated barrels ONLY, at the build party? Everybody either buys a populated barrel, finds somebody to help them prior to the party, or populates it themselves before the party.

Wish we could do it all, but I have to go with majority opinion on this, and having that step already done seems to be the best choice then. Agreed?
Will there be 7.62 and 5.45 head space gauges at the party?

For people with out a populated barrel and who havn't bought one yet.

People should try to get a barrel with a gas port pre drilled. If doing a akm kit it's easy to snap the bit in the hole. Ak74 it's drilled at a 90 deg to the bore so those are easier.

I normally mount the barrel set head space and pin the barrel in then populate.
All the people need is a drill press and vise. A punch , ball peen hammer and a dead blow.

I use a length of pipe and washer with the right size hole to press the barrel parts on. Slide barrel part on . Washer then pipe. Tap pipe with dead blow till its in the right spot.

Back
Top Bottom