• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK advice

Great post. I stand corrected. I owe you a beer Sir.

Stay careful out there [thumbsup]

I'm very curious about matching up DSA's serial numbers with years of production. There are pre-ban Imbel receivers out there but those are very valuable and rare.

I'm thinking about getting an AK, but admittedly I don't really know much about them.

Looking for some advice from the NES brain trust. I'd love some recommendations. What manufacturers are recommended? Any ones I should avoid?

Ultimately I'd like something in the "middle of the pack" when it comes to quality/price. I don't want the cheapest, and I don't want to pay for the most pricey!

Thanks in advance for the info.
1st - your in the wrong State
2nd - Your not spending under $1200 for a piece of crap AK
3rd - Pre-Ban is gonna cost u even more
4th - screw that commie rifle, get an AR
5th - Go Green, it’s less torture
6th - HI MAURA!!!

Good day to you!

6th - HI MAURA!!!

Good day to you!

I think OP is looking for a "Blue Labeled" AK... [rofl2]

6th - HI MAURA!!!

Good day to you!

1st - I agree, this state sucks
2nd - I'm happy to pay a fair price for a quality firearm
3rd- I'm not looking for a pre ban
4th- I own several ARs and am looking to give them a commie roommate in my safe
5th- yep, my membership recently expired and my lazy ass needs to renew it
6th - I'm a conservative, straight, white, gun owning, patriotic, veteran, male.... I'm pretty sure Maura hates me.

Good day to you as well sir.

I second the WASR-10, these were made for a military in a factory tooled up to make them good and correct, not made to be cheap. They may not have milled receivers, but I'm not really sure what advantages a milled receiver has other than doubling the price. No AK will ever be AR accurate, but at 200-300 yards, you're not going to notice a difference in combat or shooting steel.

Because all AKs are overpriced at this point you might as well get a nice one. The WASR was a $259 gun in 2004 and now they're like 700-800 bucks. So if you have to overpay for
everything, you might as well get something nice in the process. A WASR is certinaly functional, but it sure as f*** isn't "nice". It's not that a WASR sucks it's that if I'm throwing 700+ on the table I'm going to say "f*** it" and not bother flinting at that point if I really had a boner for an AK.

-Mike

I think OP is looking for a "Blue Labeled" AK... [rofl2]
1st - I agree, this state sucks
2nd - I'm happy to pay a fair price for a quality firearm
3rd- I'm not looking for a pre ban
4th- I own several ARs and am looking to give them a commie roommate in my safe
5th- yep, my membership recently expired and my lazy ass needs to renew it
6th - I'm a conservative, straight, white, gun owning, patriotic, veteran, male.... I'm pretty sure Maura hates me.

Good day to you as well sir.
lets add # 7....1-6 applies to both of us to a”T” and we are both f***ed! Lol!!!!

I own ARs, and like to stay consistent with ammo, but I also am looking for my first AK (things down here in Virginia are, well, a little bit sketchy these days, so I figured it was time). After about a week of research, and talking with friends who own them, I decided to go with an Arsenal. Welp they are not to be found in stock anywhere right now. Apparently it's a marketing ploy. So I decided to go with a WASR for now, and ordered from Dahlonegha Armory, which is about $30 cheaper than Atlantic Arms for about the same shipping. Can't provide a review, since I'm still anxiously awaiting notification from the FFL. But I did order a couple thousand rounds of ammo from SGAmmo in the meantime.
I can understand if you want an Arsenal, but the WASR is a great entry level AR, but by no means do I mean to say it's not capable of being an excellent performer.

You're better off getting what you can now, tomorrow is not a guarantee. The ammo at the least is a good buy, but I'm thinking you may have been better off getting an SKS until Arsenal's become available. For all the people who shit on how expensive SKS' have become since the 90s, compared to what a lot of AK's sell for now, the SKS is a bargain for a semi auto 7.62x39.

Last edited:
Because all AKs are overpriced at this point you might as well get a nice one. The WASR was a $259 gun in 2004 and now they're like 700-800 bucks. So if you have to overpay for
everything, you might as well get something nice in the process. A WASR is certinaly functional, but it sure as f*** isn't "nice". It's not that a WASR sucks it's that if I'm throwing 700+ on the table I'm going to say "f*** it" and not bother flinting at that point if I really had a boner for an AK.

-Mike
I agree, AK's are overpriced and if that's what WASR's are going for now, yeah, I'd rather spend an extra 100-200 bucks on something better, but I think WASR's can still be found for 600 or less. I got mine when I was sixte... I mean, eighteen for like $425 and it came with 3 mags, pouch, bayonet. Between that and the Mosin for $250 and 100 rounds of ammo, I think I chose wisely.

One of the rare times I can say that.

With the way the AK market is going, that AR that uses AK mags that Palmetto State makes is becoming an ever more attractive option.

Last edited:
I would argue that AK’s have been generally underpriced for decades previous. It is just now that the $600-$800 is more in line with the cost of production, especially with inflation factored in. I would also say that excluding the high end AR rifles, the basic AR-15 is underpriced for what it is. We are living it a golden age and do not appreciate it.

Take the SKS as an example. Think of the millions of dollars it would take to tool up and produce to the same level of quality that the surplus rifles have. If you did that you would have $1000+ rifles that few would buy because they are “overpriced”. The surplus market has skewed our perceptions and expectations.

Before your AK is worn out you will have exceeded the cost of the gun with the cost of ammo many, many times over.

I would argue that AK’s have been generally underpriced for decades previous. It is just now that the $600-$800 is more in line with the cost of production, especially with inflation factored in. I would also say that excluding the high end AR rifles, the basic AR-15 is underpriced for what it is. We are living it a golden age and do not appreciate it.

Take the SKS as an example. Think of the millions of dollars it would take to tool up and produce to the same level of quality that the surplus rifles have. If you did that you would have $1000+ rifles that few would buy because they are “overpriced”. The surplus market has skewed our perceptions and expectations.

Before your AK is worn out you will have exceeded the cost of the gun with the cost of ammo many, many times over.

All of the foreign AK makers got started making AKs during the communist era. Kalashnikov Concern (Izhmash), FB Radom, Cugir (WASR), Zastava, and Arsenal. I think all of these gun makers pre-date communism, too. Communism paid for the R&D to know how to make a quality AK. We're not paying those costs.

I am definitely going to be buying the Kalashnikov-USA KR-103 when it comes out. It's an AK-103 "clone" and it's 100% US made. I know that US made AK's have a dubious reputation but I am willing to roll the dice on this one. I already have an old pre-import ban AK from when I lived in MA that I can't bring myself to ever sell despite paying a small fortune for it!

Here's what I want to know: Why doesn't Kalashnikov-USA sell center-fire AK-based rifles here in America. Looks like they opened in 2011 and are only selling shotties and pistols so far.
If we can't Import them, why can't we build them here?

Where are the rifles...?
~Enbloc

Found it. Atlandit is only taking pre-orders...

Description
KR-103 AK47 Rifle - Kalashnikov USA Features

Coming Soon Please sign up for the Notify me list and stay tuned with Atlantic Firearms was we will be testing these new rifles and posting videos and more info .

9 years for them to get this to market. Must be a lot of red tape...
Also odd that they showcased it at SHOT2020, but have no mention of it on their website.

Lol. Still a Unicorn until they are on store shelves. But they look nice.
They are gonna need a Retro in wood...

KR103-660x312.jpg
KR103_Magazine-660x312.jpg
KR103_Muzzle-660x312.jpg
KR103_Sight_Leaf-660x312.jpg

Last edited:
So, @5811 Looks like the AK to want/get/love is the American-Made Kalashnikov-USA KR-103... [laugh2]

A bargain at $1025...

Looks like my SGl-21 (left, couldn’t imagine what it’s worth now) right is a Sam7

Attachments

• 64779F83-EDE4-4B6A-9901-66ECB49CE891.jpeg
    64779F83-EDE4-4B6A-9901-66ECB49CE891.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
NINE YEARS?

It’s a freaking AK! Boris can make one in like nine minutes!

Lol. Kalashnikov-USA, per its website, opened in 2011. So, 9 years before the KR-103. (which still has not shipped)
The 9 years saw semi-auto shotguns like the Saiga line and a pistol caliber carbine, but no 7.62x39 till now...

Here is Team "K" USA...
KUSA-TEAM-PHOTO-08092019.jpg

Please explain? Or, did you "read that on the internet"?

I follow School of the American rifle and PSA and Anderson has the most parts out of spec consistently out of any manufacturer. That doesn't mean they don't make any that are not out of spec, just that they are prone to issues. It also doesn't mean that high end manufactures don't have problems either, as more do then you think.

If you want to trust him or not is up to the individual, but I find him to be knowledgeable and trustworthy, and have no reason to believe he's making it up.

Back
Top Bottom