• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK advice

I'm thinking about getting an AK, but admittedly I don't really know much about them.

Looking for some advice from the NES brain trust. I'd love some recommendations. What manufacturers are recommended? Any ones I should avoid?

Ultimately I'd like something in the "middle of the pack" when it comes to quality/price. I don't want the cheapest, and I don't want to pay for the most pricey!

Thanks in advance for the info.

I am able to buy new, non pre-ban, which is what I would be looking to do. Sorry, I should have included that in the original post.

First, "nyet, rifle is fine!"

Second, AKs are like ARs in the sense that the AK is a platform that can be customized to fit a specific purpose. Why do you want an AK? What are you going to do with the AK?

Didn't see that thread, thanks Kevin.

C. Stockwell, basically just want to make a fun range toy and basically I just want one cuz 'Murica!

Didn't see that thread, thanks Kevin.

C. Stockwell, basically just want to make a fun range toy and basically I just want one cuz 'Murica!

Ok, in that case, I would either build an AK or buy like a Century or a Zastava or a new Kalashnikov USA. Something modern that comes with a side rail base. If you go with an older AK like a MAK90, mounting an optic (if you want) wouldn't be as easy. With a modern AK, optics are pretty easy to mount if you get a RS Regulate mount.

Check out Atlantic Firearms for ideas.

AK47 Receivers - AtlanticFirearms.com

ZASTAVA ARMS USA SALE - AtlanticFirearms.com

Kalashnikov USA AK SALE - AtlanticFirearms.com

i didn't realize the k-usa ak's were north of $1k. it would have been my first choice cause i understand they came a long way since the first ones to be released at inception. they got a good response at this years shot. wtf happened to the 500 dollar ak?

i bought an arsenal sam7r in 2015 for $1050 and my snapper purse was crying. is it any better than a stamped sub 600 dollar (at the time) ak? i dunno, for the amount of trigger time i have with it, maybe not.

i didn't realize the k-usa ak's were north of $1k. it would have been my first choice cause i understand they came a long way since the first ones to be released at inception. they got a good response at this years shot. wtf happened to the 500 dollar ak?

i bought an arsenal sam7r in 2015 for $1050 and my snapper purse was crying. is it any better than a stamped sub 600 dollar (at the time) ak? i dunno, for the amount of trigger time i have with it, maybe not.

Inflation, the Obama import ban on Saigas and Veprs, and $400 ARs. If you want a dirt cheap detachable mag semi-auto rifle, you're looking at 80% AR lowers, Anderson AR builds, or building your own AK as cheaply as possible.

Once the $500 Saiga left the market, SHTF.

I'm thinking about getting an AK, but admittedly I don't really know much about them.

Looking for some advice from the NES brain trust. I'd love some recommendations. What manufacturers are recommended? Any ones I should avoid?

Ultimately I'd like something in the "middle of the pack" when it comes to quality/price. I don't want the cheapest, and I don't want to pay for the most pricey!

Thanks in advance for the info.

WASR-10.

I know you say you're not wanting "the cheapest," but when you're talking about AKs that's a term with a different meaning: every version of the rifle is inherently, by design, "the cheapest." Certain features of the design and construction make it reliable, easy to operate, and durable, with the drawback of long-range accuracy and (to some) ergonomics. But if a range toy that'll go bang is what you're looking for, there's no reason that an AK has to be high-end.

So get the cheap kind. It'll perform just as well as the expensive kind, and the WASR has a side rail too, if you're into that sort of thing. But it's an AK, so you shouldn't be.

Just get the cheapest one, pair it with the most battered mag you can find, find ammo at no higher than $.17/round, and lubricate with capitalist tears. It'll do what you want it to do.

WASR-10.

I know you say you're not wanting "the cheapest," but when you're talking about AKs that's a term with a different meaning: every version of the rifle is inherently, by design, "the cheapest." Certain features of the design and construction make it reliable, easy to operate, and durable, with the drawback of long-range accuracy and (to some) ergonomics. But if a range toy that'll go bang is what you're looking for, there's no reason that an AK has to be high-end.

So get the cheap kind. It'll perform just as well as the expensive kind, and the WASR has a side rail too, if you're into that sort of thing. But it's an AK, so you shouldn't be.

Just get the cheapest one, pair it with the most battered mag you can find, find ammo at no higher than $.17/round, and lubricate with capitalist tears. It'll do what you want it to do.

The reason to buy into Arsenals, Veprs, and other high end AKs is when a WASR or a Zastava or a home build can't do what you want it to do. For casual days at the range when you're not on the clock or using the rifle as Mikhail Kalashnikov intended, to defend the Motherland (or your home), a WASR or a Zastava would be fine. Paper targets don't shoot back. If your targets do shoot back, let us know.

VZ58 is great.

It's basically an AK with built hold open.

Just to be clear for CommBloc newbs like OP, the Vz. 58 and the AK have zero interchangeability, have totally different designs, and the only similarities are the intended purpose and visuals. Even the ergonomics are different. No mags or parts are interchangeable between the Vz. 58 and the AK, although aftermarket companies will usually cater to both.

Zastavas are basically AKs with bolt hold opens because of the mags, Vz. 58s are totally different designs. Link used for BHO concept only:

Zastava AK-47 Bolt Hold Open 7.62x39mm 30-Round Steel Magazine

VZ58 is great.

Well, yes. But OP said he’s looking for an AK, and they’re nothing like each other really.

You’re not wrong that a vz58 is a first-rate firearm, and I love mine. But I was the OP once; I had a freedom boner for an AK “because ‘Murica,” and an AK was the only thing that fit the bill.

WASR-10.

I second the WASR-10, these were made for a military in a factory tooled up to make them good and correct, not made to be cheap. They may not have milled receivers, but I'm not really sure what advantages a milled receiver has other than doubling the price. No AK will ever be AR accurate, but at 200-300 yards, you're not going to notice a difference in combat or shooting steel.

One upgrade I would get is the Tec-sights that move the rear sight to the back of the dust cover.

I second the WASR-10, these were made for a military in a factory tooled up to make them good and correct, not made to be cheap. They may not have milled receivers, but I'm not really sure what advantages a milled receiver has other than doubling the price. No AK will ever be AR accurate, but at 200-300 yards, you're not going to notice a difference in combat or shooting steel.

One upgrade I would get is the Tec-sights that move the rear sight to the back of the dust cover.
I own ARs, and like to stay consistent with ammo, but I also am looking for my first AK (things down here in Virginia are, well, a little bit sketchy these days, so I figured it was time). After about a week of research, and talking with friends who own them, I decided to go with an Arsenal. Welp they are not to be found in stock anywhere right now. Apparently it's a marketing ploy. So I decided to go with a WASR for now, and ordered from Dahlonegha Armory, which is about $30 cheaper than Atlantic Arms for about the same shipping. Can't provide a review, since I'm still anxiously awaiting notification from the FFL. But I did order a couple thousand rounds of ammo from SGAmmo in the meantime.

I own ARs, and like to stay consistent with ammo, but I also am looking for my first AK (things down here in Virginia are, well, a little bit sketchy these days, so I figured it was time). After about a week of research, and talking with friends who own them, I decided to go with an Arsenal. Welp they are not to be found in stock anywhere right now. Apparently it's a marketing ploy. So I decided to go with a WASR for now, and ordered from Dahlonegha Armory, which is about $30 cheaper than Atlantic Arms for about the same shipping. Can't provide a review, since I'm still anxiously awaiting notification from the FFL. But I did order a couple thousand rounds of ammo from SGAmmo in the meantime.

Should get a FAL while you can, too.

Why, specifically? Why that instead of another WASR or wait for an Arsenal? Genuinely curious.

20 rounds of .308 is always a nice thing to have.

"Big bore" AKs are no longer an easily viable option, like the .308 and 7.62x54r Veprs. That eliminates making a .30-caliber DMR AK unless you buy a PSL.

I haven't read the VA ban bills, but I know in Mass (I'm a RI resident), the FAL is banned specifically by name. There's no real work-around in the Mass system to get a new-production FAL or FAL receiver. The FALs that are lawfully in Mass are all pre-ban. If VA's ban bill prohibits the FAL by name, you'd want to get one before any such law goes into effect.

A FAL and a WASR or Arsenal aren't directly comparable but a FAL is just a nice gun to have. You get the firepower of a M1A/M14 but in a much more ergonomic package. You can have a traditional style FAL or a modern one. I have a modern FAL carbine being built by DSA right now. DSA has receivers and guns in stock, which doesn't happen often. Maybe once or twice a year? So now is a most excellent time to buy a FAL. DSA has them, you probably won't be able to get one if the bills go into effect, and FALs are sweet.

DSArms makes a STG58, where the buffer spring is in the receiver, not the buttstock. Therefore, it is not a FAL.

The SA58 is a variant of the StG58, which is absolutely a variant of the FAL. There's other differences between the FAL proper and the StG58, like the Stoll grenade launcher + flash suppressor, but functionally, the StG58 and the FAL are within the same family of guns and to an average person, like a DA, identical. Same gas system. Same fire controls. Same magazine. Same barrel. Most importantly, same upper - I can take a SA58 upper and put FN FAL parts on it. The regulated, pressure-bearing part on a SA58 is pretty similar to an IMBEL FAL upper.

I'm not saying its unpossible for a Mass FFL to distinguish a SA58 from an actual FN FAL. What I'm saying is the StG58 is most definitely a FAL variant despite a few functional differences and the SA58 is a semi-auto only variant of the StG58. DSA has no dealers in Mass. The only DSA dealers in southern New England per DSA's website are in RI and CT. Meaning, DSA isn't actively selling guns in Mass.

Firearms, Firearms Parts & Accessories Manufacturer. Import and Export

Here's an Austrian military manual that says "StG58 (FAL)":

s-l300.jpg

1580032496198.jpeg

STG-58 Operator's Manual, Austrian Military Issue, Translation From Original, Paperback, *NEW*

Last edited by a moderator:
The SA58 is a variant of the StG58, which is absolutely a variant of the FAL. There's other differences between the FAL proper and the StG58, like the Stoll grenade launcher + flash suppressor, but functionally, the StG58 and the FAL are within the same family of guns and to an average person, like a DA, identical. Same gas system. Same fire controls. Same magazine. Same barrel. Most importantly, same upper - I can take a SA58 upper and put FN FAL parts on it. The regulated, pressure-bearing part on a SA58 is pretty similar to an IMBEL FAL upper.

I'm not saying its unpossible for a Mass FFL to distinguish a SA58 from an actual FN FAL. What I'm saying is the StG58 is most definitely a FAL variant despite a few functional differences and the SA58 is a semi-auto only variant of the StG58. DSA has no dealers in Mass. The only DSA dealers in southern New England per DSA's website are in RI and CT. Meaning, DSA isn't actively selling guns in Mass.

Firearms, Firearms Parts & Accessories Manufacturer. Import and Export

Here's an Austrian military manual that says "StG58 (FAL)":

s-l300.jpg

View attachment 327263

STG-58 Operator's Manual, Austrian Military Issue, Translation From Original, Paperback, *NEW*
Great post. I stand corrected. I owe you a beer Sir.

I know PSA AR15 stuff is usually garbage, but their GEN3 AKM (PSAK47 GF3) has has good reviews. And it is very affordable, great pricing for something just considered a "range toy". The gen 3's have hammer forged parts (trunnion, bolt, carrier), I wouldn't look at the gen 1 or gen 2.

Back
Top Bottom