• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK advice

If you can find an ffl willing to sell you an arsenal let us know. ;)
as he said, he can buy whatever he wants. think of the class that gets to do this in this state and you'll understand. literally any ffl in the state can sell him whatever he wants. 5811 is a good dude, hope he found a new toy that he likes.

If you are in MA and Pre-ban AK's are what you will be looking at, realize that this will limit your selection.

IMHO, some good mid-tier level ones are the MAK90's.

.... Non-preban are a whole nother spectrum of AK choices.

This be prepared to pay a Massachusetts premium

I have owned several... Norinco makes some of the smoothest AK's. One of the rare times you want something made in china.

MAK90's are nice - as are Chinese AK's in general. I've had a couple throughout the years - best triggers. Nice finish. Shocking for a mid-80-90's Chinese product.

I'm still shocked that there are billions of Romanian SAR1's sitting in gun safes nationwide. A non-restrictive-state actor could sell his SAR1 to a MA or other state person and buy a brandy-new AK and pocket some change. SAR1's were halfway decent although they needed some trigger work IIRC. (Sold my SAR1 during the Newtown thing.)

Best thing is those AWB-year SAR1's usually are stapled to about 20 $5 preban mags. Younger people don't know that during the federal AWB, AK mags were mega cheap. I think Circle 10's were $12. You could get metal AK mags from (oh gosh, now I can't think of the name - they resold AK accessories and crap) for $5-7 each. Not crap mags - New In Wrapper pre-ban magazines. Hell, you could get a 75rd drum for $75. I had one of those, too. Sold it for $100 or so a few years later. Worth a fortune now. Utterly useless piece of equipment. LOL

I keep hoping we can get the Federales to declare all state gun restrictions moot and I can get a Galil ACE.

if you can find an blond stock global trades armory usa ak they are some of the best made and the price at the time i bought mine was decent: $500. seen them around for $800 today

Since this thread started I've gone a bit AK-crazy, including a 1983 Clayco (made at Min Shan) and an SA93, and I can agree that those early Chinese and milled Arsenal pieces are in a different class from the WASR I recommended.

And yet I still maintain that for a first-AK range toy with good construction, to do the job, a WASR represents excellent bang for the buck, especially in MA.

"I'm still shocked that there are billions of Romanian SAR1's sitting in gun safes nationwide. A non-restrictive-state actor could sell his SAR1 to a MA or other state person and buy a brandy-new AK and pocket some change. SAR1's were halfway decent although they needed some trigger work IIRC. (Sold my SAR1 during the Newtown thing.)"
So, I would be able to transfer my SAR1 from NH to a Mass. resident? I was kinda bummed about it not having the bayo lug and muzzle brake.

Since this thread ended up getting revived....

I ended up getting a Century Arms VSKA. I know what some of you are thinking Century =Garbage

I did some more research before hand. I was going to go with an Arsenal but my FFL couldn't find any distributors that had ANY models, literally none. So I started doing some research and came across the VSKA, which is the newest version by century. Everything I read about it said they fixed all the prior Century problems in an effort to make a quality product.

Seeing as how I just wanted an AK to serve as a range to and beat the crap out of, and I was able to get an insanely good price on the rifle, I pulled the trigger (Pun intended).

I've only put about 400 rounds through it to date (stupid Corona-virus) but so far it has run flawlessly and it looks amazing with the wood furniture. I even bought a wood pistol grip for it. Have not installed that yet because I need a longer screw for the grip OR one with a flat head. (In case any of you AK guys have one sitting around)

All in all I'm happy as hell with it. Got a great price, and the thing is just fun as hell to shoot. Down the road I'll probably spend some money and buy a top of the line AK because I do like the platform, and now I'll have x39 ammo on hand so might as well have another rifle that eats that in the house.

Ill report back here if I run into any problems with the Century VSKA, but everything I read says they tightened up their quality control and I'm not expecting any.

I appreciate all the advice from you fellow NESers, I tried to get an Arsenal, but the gun gods didn't want me to, and I wasn't ready to drop $1800 for one through Gun Broker or some other place.

That's nice looking wood. I never could abide the laminates.

CAI is, indeed, hit-or-miss, but my Century L1A1 clone ought to be a POS if you listen to the internet. It's always run flawlessly for me. Good luck with your new AK.

"I'm still shocked that there are billions of Romanian SAR1's sitting in gun safes nationwide. A non-restrictive-state actor could sell his SAR1 to a MA or other state person and buy a brandy-new AK and pocket some change. SAR1's were halfway decent although they needed some trigger work IIRC. (Sold my SAR1 during the Newtown thing.)"
So, I would be able to transfer my SAR1 from NH to a Mass. resident? I was kinda bummed about it not having the bayo lug and muzzle brake.

It's AWB-compatible. I'm not sure on the whole Muuuuaaaarrraahhh thing. She's a confusing goose to be sure. (I had forgotten the hag when I wrote that hours ago. That might be the sticking point until a challenge blows her out of the water. Unless you find a dealer who says FU to Maura.)

Since this thread started I've gone a bit AK-crazy, including a 1983 Clayco (made at Min Shan) and an SA93, and I can agree that those early Chinese and milled Arsenal pieces are in a different class from the WASR I recommended.

And yet I still maintain that for a first-AK range toy with good construction, to do the job, a WASR represents excellent bang for the buck, especially in MA.
I have a WASR, a converted Saiga, and an Arsenal. The WASR holds its own. Is the finish as nice as the other two? No. But it runs just the same and is actually more accurate than the Saiga.

Back
Top Bottom