• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-74 SBR fix

jim/boston

NES Member
I bought an Egyption MAADI ARM project in 5.45. The seller said he couldn't get it to hand cycle correctly. I picked it up yesterday. While I own a couple of AK's I have never built one and do not have much experience with them. When hand cycling I quickly saw that the hammer is sitting way too high when it is cocked and held by the sear. The bolt hits the hammer at such a steep angle it is impossible to cock and would jam tight if forcefully attempted to cycle. I compared it to my other AK's and it appears as though the wrong trigger was used. I swapped out a trigger from my 7,62 Krinks and it seems to fix the issue. Have any of you run into this issue? I was not aware there were two heights for triggers. Pics shown for clarification. Wrong one is top. As you can see the sear catch is way higher than the disconnector catch. Thanks, jim IMG_2925.jpg IMG_2924.jpg IMG_2927.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder whether a Saiga shotgun FCG (or just the hammer) was used. From several pictures it seems to be higher than a regular AK hammer.

I wonder whether a Saiga shotgun FCG (or just the hammer) was used. From several pictures it seems to be higher than a regular AK hammer.

That was my thought process; figured some of the builders here might have run into a similar mix-up. Your pictures sure seem to bear that out.

My new Century AK trigger came in yesterday; solved the problem. Now I need a headspace gauge for 5.45x39; I'm concerned that if the builder screwed up the trigger I don't think I can trust that it has been headspaced properly. I want to check it prior to test firing. Anyone want to rent me a gauge for 10 minutes??

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom