• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-47 what do i need to know

full disclosure.. Zenks in northbridge also had 2 single stacks wasr. a 762 and then a drag stock 223 (non threaded bbl). I did not check pricing.

Most will. There's a few out there that take 10 rounders only, but I've only seen a few. Stay away from those. Far away. Incredibly boring.

If you can find the single stack version at a discounted price it's incredibly easy to dremel it out to accept 30 round mags. Took me about an hour and there's no mag wobble.

On the low end I'd say buy a WASR 10 and ammo + a few extra mags if you're going to spend up to $1000. Otherwise buy a quality rifle like a converted Saiga and a little less ammo. If you buy the WASR just be sure to give it a good once over to check for canted sights or anything else out of place. I've had my WASR 10 for a while now and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's a fun gun to shoot even if it was designed for your average chimpanze to use.

For what you want you really can't go wrong buying a Saiga in 7.62x39 and doing a conversion job. Its a simple job anyone can do with the links to some great sites like Dinzag Arms, & Carolina Shooter Supplies. Both sites have great info and service with a few step by step sections and videos here and there. Plus there are a few pages here on NES detailing builds.

Minus the fancy stuff like a muzzle brake, bayonet lug, and traditional AK furniture, you can buy a Saiga and the parts to build it into a functional Russian AK47 thats Mass compliant for about $500 total cost and do the work with a drill and some quality drill bits and wind up with one like this guy did:

imgp1936x.jpg

Thats much less than what you'd even pay for a quality AR upper let alone a lower receiver to go with it. Plus you won't have to wipe its ass every so many rounds.[laugh]

For what you want you really can't go wrong buying a Saiga in 7.62x39 and doing a conversion job. Its a simple job anyone can do with the links to some great sites like Dinzag Arms, & Carolina Shooter Supplies. Both sites have great info and service with a few step by step sections and videos here and there. Plus there are a few pages here on NES detailing builds.

Minus the fancy stuff like a muzzle brake, bayonet lug, and traditional AK furniture, you can buy a Saiga and the parts to build it into a functional Russian AK47 thats Mass compliant for about $500 total cost and do the work with a drill and some quality drill bits and wind up with one like this guy did:

imgp1936x.jpg

Thats much less than what you'd even pay for a quality AR upper let alone a lower receiver to go with it. Plus you won't have to wipe its ass every so many rounds.[laugh]

Win! [smile]

Everything you need to know about AK 47s

Designed for use by the peasants
To be stored in the fields
To be cleaned in a mud puddle
To be lubed with Lard
And then still function

end design to be used by simpltons to exspell mass amount of lead in the opposite direction of opperator....I love my MAC90...I have not met a AK yet I did not like.

Arsenal SGL24-61 & SGL34-61

Arsenal has a NY/NJ compliant model that their distributor/dealer K-Var will sell to Mass. residents (I called them to verify).

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17673

It's a little more than your budget but worth looking into since they have a reputation for good quality. Not sure if they would charge sales tax which could be a savings. Good luck.

Arsenal has a NY/NJ compliant model that their distributor/dealer K-Var will sell to Mass. residents (I called them to verify).

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17673

It's a little more than your budget but worth looking into since they have a reputation for good quality. Not sure if they would charge sales tax which could be a savings. Good luck.

They will? Even though their website is plastered with saying they won't sell or ship to MA? If so, then I guess the trick is to find a FFL that will accept the transfer right?

Shot my Bulgy again last night and god DAMN what a fun gun to shoot. I really really gotta ditch the plastic furniture though. The front hand guard is so loose and it drives me nuts. I need to figure out something to wedge in there until I can get some new furniture which will hopefully fit better.

Thing was smoking pretty good around the front hand guard and I'm not positive what it's from. I just cleaned it so maybe some stuff was still burning off, but not sure. I thought it might be the crap furniture but it didn't smell like plastic melting. You really gotta let them cool down before putting them away...they get HOT around the gas tube.

A guy at AFS had a side folder with a laser that he was going to town with. Good times!

I am loathe to say it because I want it really badly, but I have no cash for it...there is what appears to be a pretty decent deal (relatively speaking, for MA) on a nice AK in the classifieds right now.

Last edited:
Gun Genie has Arsenal Ak-74's for $753.95 plus $16.00 shipping to Four Seasons. You will have to pay sales tax on it though, as it is sold through Four Seasons. Used Gun Genie a few months ago and the transactions was smooth. If you live close to NH pick up at a dealer there, example use JRS Gunsmith $727.84 shipped

Last edited:
In my eyes you cant go wrong with a saiga conversion, its really easy to do all you need is a few punches and a dremel. When you are done you will have a real russian ak made izhmash. There a ton of great how to sites and videos, and i picked up my saiga for something like 350 bucks in MA.
181771_10150089372922111_731287110_6857264_408512_n.jpg

has any body seen any 7.62/ 5.45 saigas on dealer shelves lately? Are they coming back in?

They pop up from time to time but since the Izhmash company stopped production a while back we could see a long stretch with no new Saigas. Unless there is a batch waiting in customs, I doubt we'll see any more Russian semi autos come in with Obama basically putting a stop to any weapons importation into the US.[angry]

They pop up from time to time but since the Izhmash company stopped production a while back we could see a long stretch with no new Saigas. Unless there is a batch waiting in customs, I doubt we'll see any more Russian semi autos come in with Obama basically putting a stop to any weapons importation into the US.[angry]

Damn it.

You put the thought of a 5.45 project in my head, and I have some dollars laying around.

My wallet does not like to hear this.

I wouldn't panic just yet- there are still quite a good stockpile of these in suppliers warehouses. And there have been a shit ton of these imported into the US. So it's not like it's going the way of the SVD or anything like that.

I mean, hell, K-Var just started selling them. But I'm guessing that has more to do with them realizing that with the Saiga 12 panic, there is serious money to be made through them. K-Var never misses an opportunity to screw people out of their own money.

You may want to keep your eyes peeled for a used gun. The neutered post ban guns (in anything other than 7.63 x 39, in CT) are cheap on the national boards.

I got a very highly regarded Arsenal SLR105 used locally for $580 a couple of years ago. I shoots great and is surprisingly accurate. I'm thinking that the fact that its chambered in 5.45 x 39 might have something to do with it.

If you want bling, go for a Chinese pre-ban. Then you can have all the "evil" stuff.

Gun Genie has Arsenal Ak-74's for $753.95 plus $16.00 shipping to Four Seasons. You will have to pay sales tax on it though, as it is sold through Four Seasons. Used Gun Genie a few months ago and the transactions was smooth. If you live close to NH pick up at a dealer there, example use JRS Gunsmith $727.84 shipped

Why would you have to pay sales tax on that gun when Four Seasons is only doing the transfer? You are buying from Gun Genie and 4S is doing the transfer....

Why would you have to pay sales tax on that gun when Four Seasons is only doing the transfer? You are buying from Gun Genie and 4S is doing the transfer....

I don't think that it is what you think it is. Those services are effectively buying through the end dealer, not something like gunbroker or whatever where the buyer buys the gun first (from the remote) and then sets up the transfer, and only pays the MA dealer for the transfer service.

-Mike

Last edited:
I don't think that it is what you think it is. Those services are effectively buying through the end dealer, not something like gunbroker or whatever where the buyer buys the gun first (from the remote) and then sets up the transfer, and only pays the MA dealer for the transfer service.

-Mike

Gun Genie is run by one of the distributors, right?

The site says they won't ship to NJ/NY or CA but they are advertising these models right next to statements saying they won't. It's just not consistent. That's why I called them.
They will? Even though their website is plastered with saying they won't sell or ship to MA? If so, then I guess the trick is to find a FFL that will accept the transfer right?

Gun Genie is run by one of the distributors, right?

Yup... like flintoid posted, I think it's Davidson's, which is one of the distis a lot of the smaller shops use. (Although a shop like FS probably uses several different ones).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom