• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-47 vs M-16 - Which should I buy?

Versatility in the uppers is where the ar15 wins. The can throw on an sbr blackout 300 for home defense and in two minutes a 24 inch tackdriver for reaching out across town.

I wanted an AK for the bigger stopping power (without having to buy $0.60 ammo), but now I hear the 5.56 is just as lethal so I guess that's not a good reason to get an AK.

- - - Updated - - -

Versatility in the uppers is where the ar15 wins. The can throw on an sbr blackout 300 for home defense and in two minutes a 24 inch tackdriver for reaching out across town.

Dumb question, but what happens if you have a magazine loaded with 5.56 and you try to fire it out of your 300 Blackout upper? Or vice versa?

Both. Buy one and when you get the money buy the other. But here is a funny video to compare

Last edited by a moderator:
AK, just because it can be run with rubber bands if the need arises(with an ever so slight increase in cyclic rate). [laugh]

Probably easier to find AK parts than such huge rubber bands. (I'm assuming Home Depot is closed during SHTF).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your name Mohammed?
Do you like to blow things up, particularly yourself?
Does your camel look forward to Thursday nights because it gets the night off?
Do you live in a rock hut and wipe your a$$ with your bare hand
If you answer yes to any of these... then get the AK

But if you love America, Freedom and boobs... get the AR

Troll mode unlocked: Expert Level

- - - Updated - - -

You mean take your support hand off to flip from safe to fire? Why would you do that?

Why would you have your rifle on safe to begin with ?

THAT EXTRA .5 OF A SECOND COULD MEAN LIFE OR DEATH IN A TACTICAL TRAINING SITUATION !

Why would you have your rifle on safe to begin with ?

THAT EXTRA .5 OF A SECOND COULD MEAN LIFE OR DEATH IN A TACTICAL TRAINING SITUATION !

That's how our training at Sig went, they had us going on and off safe each time we shoot at a target. You get used to it after a while, but I'd say 3-4 times I went to pull the trigger and found I forgot to go off safe.

It takes that long to sight in on a target anyway, plenty of time to flip the safety, if you remember to do it. :)

P.S. Sig taught us to use the thumb to manipulate the safety, not the opposite hand.

Last edited:
You mean take your support hand off to flip from safe to fire? Why would you do that?

I have no clue. Since you've been to Sig, I'm sure you're fully aware that an AR safety is on the left so you can flick it with a finger/thumb (I haven't "operated" with an AR recently, only shot one 5, 6 times).

I don't do it. But I know trainers recommend it, like David Kenik, formerly of RI and now of Missouri. He's on here from time to time. He's posted on TTAG that using the left hand is better for safety manipulation.

To use the left hand to hit the safety with an AK, you have to hold the gun up with your right arm, reach over and hit it. Like I said, on an AK I just use my right thumb.

I've seen videos of people doing it, just can't remember who.

Last edited:
I'm an AK guy all the way and love how the AK is set up, easy to take apart and clean. As much of a fanboy of the AK as I am though the best 2 comments will always be either get both or you will never go wrong with either set up. All a matter of what you like better.

If you like building your rifle from the ground up choose an AR. I personally enjoy the ergos of the AK more and the VEPR is chambered in one of my favorite calibers, the 54R so that is what i went with. I prefer the aesthetics of the AK platform to the AR also.

I had a nice milled receiver AK, and it was plenty accurate. For me the sights and ergonomics on the AR are much better. The safety on the AK seems ridiculous to me.

Manual of arms is different . It's pretty easy to flick the safety with my index or middle finger .
They teach to leave the safety off if there's a chance you need to fire . Think of it like a glock when you finger is the real saftey .
Ak Union has a video explaining it . Newer aks are being made with a thumb safety.

It's official:

Kalashnikov to open AK-47 factory in Florida

POMPANO BEACH, Fla (CNN) — American gun maker Kalashnikov USA is announcing plans to manufacture the famous AK-47 assault rifles in Florida. The company previously imported the weapons from the original manufacturer in Moscow.

It began producing them in Pennsylvania last year when President Obama imposed sanctions against Russia after its annexation of Crimea. At that point, Kalashnikov USA severed all ties with the Russian company. Now, Pompano Beach has approved the assembly of guns in the city.

Guns assembled at the Pompano Beach factory will have to be sold to retailers elsewhere.

http://wncn.com/2016/01/28/kalashnikov-to-open-ak-47-factory-in-florida

I just picked up an AK-47 and wanted to see what all the hoopla was with them. Personally, I don't get it, do bullets come out the little end, yes, it's just how it does it. It's still new to me, so I'll give it some time before I say I don't like it. Have a couple AR's, I like the platform, can customize yourself silly with them. So, I say get both, Demrats are coming so the value can only go up.

I also have a Sig 556 that is pretty much built like an AK, but takes AR mags and shoots 5.56. Super reliable, it would be my SHTF gun for sure. Very accurate, relatively easy to break down and clean. Get one if you can find one.

My favorite "assault rifle" is my PTR 91. Hands down the best to shoot, it's has a few quirks, but a favorite on the firing line. After that would be the Springfield M1A. Ergos on that are great, very smooth to shoot. Looks great with the 30 round mags.

So, what to get? You will need all of them at some point in you life, so get started. I really do rotate all of them to the range, they are like children, can't really have a favorite.

I, like many people here, would be glad to let you shoot my rifles that way you could decide. You buy all the ammo you want to shoot, I'll clean the guns afterwards. Just ask, someone will step up and help, I find NES to be the best quality people on the planet.

Kyle

Ok, ok, I know I can't really purchase either.

So I'm talking AR-15 vs whatever a Semi-Automatic AK is.

The reason I ask, is because Kalashnikov is setting up a manufacturing plant in the USA.

I prefer the AK look, the furniture, and the cartridges' reputation for reliability.

Thoughts?
Both.

I own both, as I bet many here do. I am definitely an amateur when it comes to rifles. The way I thought about it was that if you valued accuracy over reliability, then get the AR. If you value reliability over accuracy then get an AK.

It was my understanding that an AK shoots about a 3-4 inch group at 100 yrds but will do so reliably no matter how dirty the gun gets. The AR is capable of 1/2 inch groups at 100 yrds but is a bit more finicky.

Of course, all of the above could be wrong, because as I said, I'm definitely an amateur.

I own both, as I bet many here do. I am definitely an amateur when it comes to rifles. The way I thought about it was that if you valued accuracy over reliability, then get the AR. If you value reliability over accuracy then get an AK.

It was my understanding that an AK shoots about a 3-4 inch group at 100 yrds but will do so reliably no matter how dirty the gun gets. The AR is capable of 1/2 inch groups at 100 yrds but is a bit more finicky.

Of course, all of the above could be wrong, because as I said, I'm definitely an amateur.
An AK can do 1 inch , Irons? I can't but a 1x4 yes

Last edited:
I've got both but I like AK style rifles better.

One big difference... you can buy a cheap end AR and have problems with it. Cheap AKs on the other hand will still shoot.

Back
Top Bottom