• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-47 value

FLHTC

NES Member
Pardon me if this question has been asked but a friend of mine has a Yugoslavian AK-47 with a thumb hole stock. He has a few 30 round mags and he's interested in selling it. This gun has been in Mass for years. What do I need to know to help him put a proper value to it?

Thank you

Pardon me if this question has been asked but a friend of mine has a Yugoslavian AK-47 with a thumb hole stock. He has a few 30 round mags and he's interested in selling it. This gun has been in Mass for years. What do I need to know to help him put a proper value to it?

Thank you

Find an avg price on GunBroker (completed sales, not asking prices) and add a percentage, cuz MA. I'd try doubling the GB number and see what happens. Adjust accordingly if it sits too long.

You're going to have a hard time getting an accurate market value for anything that falls under Healey's 7/20/16 ban. Maybe see what people are asking on Armslist and Gunbroker (specifically in MA, other states aren't relevant).

Also run before someone here lectures you on "it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay."

Thumb hole yugo is what 450 new? So maybe 600 realistically. The guys asking 1000 for an AK are not selling them.

Seems like lots of overpriced AKs not selling. I love AKs, but at the end of the day they are worth a couple hundred bucks - add on extra due to the market manipulation (import ban, MA ban), I still don't see how you get to 2k, never mind 3k.

IMO, mid-tier AKs sell for $900-1,200 in MA.

Seems like lots of overpriced AKs not selling. I love AKs, but at the end of the day they are worth a couple hundred bucks - add on extra due to the market manipulation (import ban, MA ban), I still don't see how you get to 2k, never mind 3k.

Agree. Pre-ban, maybe $1700 or so.

If it has a thumb hole stock it likely isnt preban making it worth no more than any neutered ma ak, unless its is something Special...being a yugo this is unlikely.
The aks in the 3-5k range are the highest tier of non NFA aks...that said paying 5k for a semi ak that you probably shouldn't shoot is crazy when you could get a transferable sten or m10/m11 for close to that price range..

I dont typically sell guns but for the right price id part with 2 of my aks.

Thumb hole yugo is what 450 new? So maybe 600 realistically. The guys asking 1000 for an AK are not selling them.

While I agree with you in principle, those days are gone as of last year. Now, if you don't have an AK, and live in MA, you can expect to pay an average of $1k just for a WASR from what I've seen recently. My cousin is a LEO and couldn't even get a shop to get one for him because most FFLs are afraid to mess with the new ban. For some reason that only applies to AKs though. If he wanted another AR, then no problem since the department uses those. Since no PD uses AKs, they won't mess with that gray area...

Yep, this!

Back
Top Bottom