• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK-47 rear sights question

JackO

Instructor
Does anybody know if the RPK adjustable rear sight
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16251&cat=307&page=1
will fit a Norinco 56S AK-47?

If it does fit, would it be a problem putting one of these on the rifle with a 16" BBL (I believe it's 16", but am not sure) as it is probably graduated for a RPK with 24" BBL? Or is the elevation adjustment related to the different slope angle in the rear site block, and therefore RPK sight would work OK on the AK rifle?

Also, do you know any sources for adjustable AK rear sights open slot type who might have them? I googled and can't find anybody who has it in stock.

Last edited:
Wow... those have really gone up in price.

I was considering installing an RPK rear sight on one of my AK builds, but was put off by the price back then (maybe $40.00 - $45.00). I just wanted it for the windage adjustment.

It should fit on most AK's, but I really can't say for certain that it would fit a Norinco.

When I was frequenting the AK forums, some guys were installing them, but I don't recall any specifics with regard to fitting and/or accuracy.

The elevation adjustment is created by the slope of the sight block, but since it's an AK, anything beyond 200 yards and you might as well be throwing rocks at your target anyways.

Another thing is that removing the rear sight is a PITA.

Unless you have the correct tool, it can be a two person operation (there is a
way of doing it with a drill press that simplifies removal).

Thanks LoginName. I read some info on removing the rear site. I did not see any pictures, but I understand, the pressure must be applied at the very front of the leaf spring that is located under the rear sight. It can be done with a drill press, special tool, or a big flat screwdriver (with a gorilla effort and help of another person holding the rifle).

The sight that K-Var is selling is RPK sight. They used to carry an AK sight too, but don't stock it any more. I understand the only difference is that RPK sight is marked up to 1000m, and AK - 800m. I'm not sure if they are different length. Any way, $75 price plus $8 shipping is a little too much. That's why I'm trying to find something from a different source.

Do you have any personal experience replacing these sights?

Do you have any personal experience replacing these sights?

Yeah... I used the drill press method.

Previous to that I tried a home made sight removal tool fabricated from an old style "church key" can opener that someone had posted the instructions for.

All I managed to do was bend the tool.[thinking]

To reinstall the sight I gave it one good whack with a plastic mallet.

Surprisingly... that's one powerful little spring holding that sight on.

Back
Top Bottom