AK 47 pistol

How can I legally build an AK 47 pistol in Ma? It would probably be a miracle to find one for sale in Ma. Since its considered a pistol you can't buy it out of state. I would purchase a pre ban AK and go from there.

How can I legally build an AK 47 pistol in Ma? It would probably be a miracle to find one for sale in Ma. Since its considered a pistol you can't buy it out of state. I would purchase a pre ban AK and go from there.

No...well maybe... kinda...

Problem is it be over weight (50oz limit or its an "assualt weapon"). So your legal choices are:

1. find a preban AK pistol (and an MA FFL who will transfer it in for you). Due to other legal considerations you can't turn a rifle into a pistol (preban or not).

2. Build what you want but permenantly attach the mag (if you used one of the rear hinged drums it wouldn't be "that" bad).

No...well maybe... kinda...

Problem is it be over weight (50oz limit or its an "assualt weapon"). So your legal choices are:

1. find a preban AK pistol (and an MA FFL who will transfer it in for you). Due to other legal considerations you can't turn a rifle into a pistol (preban or not).

2. Build what you want but permenantly attach the mag (if you used one of the rear hinged drums it wouldn't be "that" bad).

Well I know some FFL's but I wouldn't want to have them do anything "illegal". It's weird because you can make a SBR out of a shotgun if you get a tax stamp. Thing is I have my CCW and others with their purpose. I just want to own/build something unique and cool. I know....I know.... Move to NH

Lets break this down:
Well I know some FFL's but I wouldn't want to have them do anything "illegal"...
I didn't suggest doing anything illegal...

It's weird because you can make a SBR out of a shotgun if you get a tax stamp...
Um no you can't... well not in MA... First the semantics you can't build a Short Barrel Rifle out of a shotgun (that would be an SBS, Short Barrel Shotgun). Second the legalites, In MA anything except a factory SBS is considered to be an illegal "sawed off shotgun" and now the AG has had NFA Branch stop approving even Factory SBS transfers to MA, because "they" can't tell for sure its factory or not...

Thing is I have my CCW and others with their purpose...
I don't know what you mean by that...

I just want to own/build something unique and cool.
Ok, build an SBR "krink", just like an AK pistol only it will have a stock so you might be able to actually hit something with it...

Short answer: you cant.

f1f8d94422b201502e3b039d449d9024.jpg

it has been done with hair under 50oz. Do your research. If you want it bad, shit will happen.

Did I understand it right that if you weld a mag in place you don't have to worry weight ...

Yes, not an assault rifle or pistol if it doesn't have a detachable magazine. Most people mistakingly think "detachable mag" is one of the possible "evil features" but it is not it is a "prerequiste" if it doesn't have detachable magazine it can't be an assualt rifle or pistol.

Ok, build an SBR "krink", just like an AK pistol only it will have a stock so you might be able to actually hit something with it...

Well now we are on to something....Any suggestions for a starting point. I've seen WASR preban Ak's for sale. BTW I wouldn't be against doing the same with an AR platform.

Did I understand it right that if you weld a mag in place you don't have to worry weight ...

Here you go. This is from the GOAL website.

"Assault Weapon" Facts and Information for MA Residents

"Assault Weapon" Facts and Information for MA Residents[/url]]The definition of “assault weapon” is the same as the federal law that went into effect on September 13, 1994. Specific guns are banned by name, and guns with certain combinations of features are banned:

a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon ;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'“

anyone know the weight of the draco? )) (( has talked about this and a draco MIGHT make weight--if a FFL would sell it, that is.

5.5 pounds is what I'm able to find but not sure of that's with a steel mag loaded if it is minus 1.8 pounds for the mag.

So 80 oz or 59.2 .

I'm sure you could figure out a way to get rid of 10oz .

Are there any kits ?

Last edited:
Well now we are on to something....Any suggestions for a starting point. I've seen WASR preban Ak's for sale. BTW I wouldn't be against doing the same with an AR platform.

Shop around, you may still be able to find an M92 kit for reasonable money.

An AR would be easier to deal with because you could shoot it with a non-nfa upper while you were waiting. plus you could change the caliber and configuration real easy. with an AK you are pretty much locked in to what you built.

Sent from my phone.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how are they weighed? Mag out? Mag in but unloaded? Mag in and loaded? Can the sights be removed to make weight and a red dot installed to shoot it?

I know there have been a few threads about it(a while back) but couldn't you just get one of the poly AR lowers and build a pistol under the limit?

Back
Top Bottom